Detassled and rogued corn in the summer for about 3 or 4 years. Last year of that I ran my own hotshot crew. Northrup King supplied me with a pickup and I'd take 3 people with me and we cleanup the fields that needed it. Seemed like a great job at the time. No way would I even consider it now.

And I know what ya mean NM...you try explaining detassling and the purpose to non ag people and they act like you're lying to them. Male and female corn, why I've never heard of such a thing...kinda funny.

Also pumped gas and worked a couple restaurant jobs. One summer had 3 jobs I was juggling. One of those was at Long John Silvers in Columbus. That one didn't last terribly long as the manager was always smoking a bong in the back office. Not necessarily a problem but he would do a schedule, I'd have to coordinate with my other 2 jobs and then stoner man would forget he'd already done the schedule and he'd put a new different one out. Got tired of allowing for his chronic problem so I quit.

Walked beans and threw bails.it sucked

for some strange reason I read threw B A L L S, not B A I L S

Haha, me too. I read it that way 2 or 3 times. Figured it was some rancher slang for castrating cattle....until you pointed out it was actually B A I L S.

Detassled and rogued corn in the summer for about 3 or 4 years. Last year of that I ran my own hotshot crew. Northrup King supplied me with a pickup and I'd take 3 people with me and we cleanup the fields that needed it. Seemed like a great job at the time. No way would I even consider it now.

And I know what ya mean NM...you try explaining detassling and the purpose to non ag people and they act like you're lying to them. Male and female corn, why I've never heard of such a thing...kinda funny.

Also pumped gas and worked a couple restaurant jobs. One summer had 3 jobs I was juggling. One of those was at Long John Silvers in Columbus. That one didn't last terribly long as the manager was always smoking a bong in the back office. Not necessarily a problem but he would do a schedule, I'd have to coordinate with my other 2 jobs and then stoner man would forget he'd already done the schedule and he'd put a new different one out. Got tired of allowing for his chronic problem so I quit.

So funny you bring up male and female corn .... I was explaining how the rows were marked at the end w/flowers or tags of some sort and that typically there were 8 (?) rows in between the two. Started to think I was crazy as I said it out loud.

So funny you bring up male and female corn .... I was explaining how the rows were marked at the end w/flowers or tags of some sort and that typically there were 8 (?) rows in between the two. Started to think I was crazy as I said it out loud.

Yeah, I grew up in the city and don't know much about corn but I've figured out sweet corn doesn't have the genders so it doesn't need to be detassled. Most of the people around here are not aware of seed corn so they don't understand the male female thing. I guess I still really don't know much about it except they'd get super pissed if you pulled the male tassles :-)