Big Ten Media Pre-season Poll

Remember, the big ten no longer does an official poll, so this is basically the "unofficial" media poll.

Here are the full standings as predicted by our voters. All voters ranked teams one through seven and could include ties. Points were assigned on a reserve basis, with seven points for first place, six for second and so on.

BIG TEN EAST

1. Ohio State, 260 points (34 first-place votes)

2. Penn State, 231.5 (7)

3. Michigan, 192 (1)

4. Michigan State, 128

5. Indiana, 114

6. Maryland, 100.5

7. Rutgers, 38

(first-place votes equal more than 38 because of some ties for first)

BIG TEN WEST

1. Wisconsin, 259 points (31 first-place votes)

2. Northwestern, 219 (5)

3. Nebraska, 176.5 (2)

4. Iowa, 164.5

5. Minnesota, 131

6. Purdue, 57

6. Illinois, 57

Here were the predictions for the Big Ten Championship Game in Indianapolis on Dec. 2.

Ohio State over Wisconsin (22)

Ohio State over Northwestern (5)

Ohio State over Nebraska (2)

Wisconsin over Ohio State (3)

Wisconsin over Penn State (1)

Penn State over Wisconsin (4)

Michigan over Wisconsin (1)

As for the playoff hopes of the conference, all 38 voters thought the Big Ten would get at least one team in the playoff.

Thirty-four voters said one Big Ten team will make the playoff: Ohio State 26, Wisconsin 4, Penn State 3, Michigan 1.

Four voters said the Big Ten would get two teams in the playoff. Three said it would be Ohio State and Penn State, and one said it would be Ohio State and Wisconsin.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/07/ohio_state_buckeyes_picked_to.html

• Fire 1

Here's an interesting look at the poll, and how wrong it usually is in picking the league champ.

Our seventh annual Big Ten preseason poll will be released Friday morning, and though I haven't yet looked at the ballots I've been receiving from writers around the conference, I can tell you what it's going predict.

Ohio State as Big Ten champs.

I can also tell you that if history is any guide, that will be wrong.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/07/ohio_states_to_blame_for_our_b.html#incart_river_index

I also found this part interesting:

Here are the Big Ten records in regular-season conference play since Meyer arrived at Ohio State in 2012. (Maryland and Rutgers have only been in the league for three years.)

1. Ohio State, 39-2, .951

2. Wisconsin, 30-11, .732

3. Michigan State, 26-15, .634

3. Nebraska, 26-15, .634

5. Michigan, 25-16, .610

5. Iowa, 25-16, .610

7. Penn State, 24-17, .585

8. Northwestern, 20-21, .488

9. Minnesota, 18-23, .439

10. Maryland, 8-17, .320

11. Indiana, 12-29, .293

12. Illinois, 8-33, .195

13. Rutgers, 4-21, .160

14. Purdue, 6-35, .146

• Fire 2

I think that it is a safe bet one of Wisc, NW, Neb, and Iowa are going to win the west.

Wisconsin seems to have the favorable schedule, only Neb on the road plus only 1 of the big 3 East teams. NW has to go on the road to both Wisc and Neb. Nebraska gets all of the West contenders at home (win those 3 and we hold tiebreakers). Iowa schedule is pretty tough with the other 3 west contenders on the road plus PSU and OSU at home.

Wisconsin

away - Neb, Ill, Ind, Minn

home - NW, Pur, Mary, Iowa, Mich

Northwestern

away - Wisc, Mary, Neb, Ill

home - PSU, Iowa, MSU, Pur, Minn

Nebraska

away - Ill, Pur, Minn, PSU

home - Rut, Wisc, OSU, NW, Iowa

Iowa

away - MSU, NW, Wisc, Neb

home - PSU, Ill, Minn, OSU, Pur

(crossovers in red)

• Fire 2

I think that it is a safe bet one of Wisc, NW, Neb, and Iowa are going to win the west.

Wisconsin seems to have the favorable schedule, only Neb on the road plus only 1 of the big 3 East teams. NW has to go on the road to both Wisc and Neb. Nebraska gets all of the West contenders at home (win those 3 and we hold tiebreakers). Iowa schedule is pretty tough with the other 3 west contenders on the road plus PSU and OSU at home.

Wisconsin

away - Neb, Ill, Ind, Minn

home - NW, Pur, Mary, Iowa, Mich

Northwestern

away - Wisc, Mary, Neb, Ill

home - PSU, Iowa, MSU, Pur, Minn

Nebraska

away - Ill, Pur, Minn, PSU

home - Rut, Wisc, OSU, NW, Iowa

Iowa

away - MSU, NW, Wisc, Neb

home - PSU, Ill, Minn, OSU, Pur

(crossovers in red)

Win 3 out of 4 on the road and 4 of 5 at home and 7-2 should get you to the title game. I know this means we most likely beat Iowa, NW, and Wiscy at home but since the season hasn't started I'm optimistic. Feel like our road games are very winnable outside of PSU.

Here's an interesting look at the poll, and how wrong it usually is in picking the league champ.

Our seventh annual Big Ten preseason poll will be released Friday morning, and though I haven't yet looked at the ballots I've been receiving from writers around the conference, I can tell you what it's going predict.

Ohio State as Big Ten champs.

I can also tell you that if history is any guide, that will be wrong.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/07/ohio_states_to_blame_for_our_b.html#incart_river_index

I also found this part interesting:

Here are the Big Ten records in regular-season conference play since Meyer arrived at Ohio State in 2012. (Maryland and Rutgers have only been in the league for three years.)

1. Ohio State, 39-2, .951

2. Wisconsin, 30-11, .732

3. Michigan State, 26-15, .634

3. Nebraska, 26-15, .634

5. Michigan, 25-16, .610

5. Iowa, 25-16, .610

7. Penn State, 24-17, .585

8. Northwestern, 20-21, .488

9. Minnesota, 18-23, .439

10. Maryland, 8-17, .320

11. Indiana, 12-29, .293

12. Illinois, 8-33, .195

13. Rutgers, 4-21, .160

14. Purdue, 6-35, .146

Actually kind of surprised we're 3rd.... Yay.

And of course you're right. But we only played two teams at home that finished with winning records: Wyoming and Minnesota. Which won't be the case this year.

Yep, and NU's home record in 2015 was terrible. Last year's great home record was really due to the crappy home schedule.

That's true, but A) part of our home record being terrible was just bad luck and B) our home schedule that year was insane. 9-4 BYU, #21 Wisconsin, #22 Northwestern, #6 Michigan State, #9 Iowa (all end of season rankings). We went 4-1 against those 5 but we were four plays away from going 5-0.