3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Has anyone seen Downsizing with Matt Damon? I wanted to see it based on the trailers but the reviews on Redbox are running about 95% worst movie ever in the history of movies. Don't think I'll even waste $1.50 on it if it's that bad.

That's disappointing. I thought it sounded like a cool idea. Rotten Tomatoes has 51%/22%. Blech

Anyone planning on seeing A Quiet Place? I'll likely wait for it at Redbox or something, but the reviews have been amazing so far.

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Went and saw Ready Player One last weekend.

First and foremost, I had a ton of fun with it. It's perhaps one of the more purely enjoyable movies I've seen in the last several years. It was just exciting. Tons of fun visually interesting designs, cool CGI. If you read the book, be prepared to see some fairly significant alterations to the story line, timeline of events, etc.

Some of the writing decisions were pretty odd, particularly with some plot holes and the fast pace nature of it all kind of skewing the story. I felt comfortable since I'd read the book, and I think it stands fine by itself, but it had a couple of moments where I felt something didn't really make sense.

Anyways, I recommend it!

ready_player_one_ver31.jpg

Saw it this weekend with my 2 sons 21 and 14.  They have both read the book.  The oldest didn't like it as much because it didn't follow the book as well as he liked.  He is high functioning autistic so that plays a part in it.  The younger one like it a lot.  I thought it was great having not read the book.  I don't think it got too deep into 80's references. 

It was a good ole fashion Spielberg popcorn movie like he made in the 80's.  Not going to win any awards for best picture, but very entertaining.  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

PCU is AWESOME and basically helped me decide to join a frat.

Accepted is a great going to college movie.  The South Hampton Institute of Technology, (S.H.I.T.)  is the school they go to.  There mascot is a sandwich. 

• Plus1 2

One movie that had a really interesting premise was Signs by M. Night Shamalayn, or as I call him: M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong.  That movie though, the ending, was so damn DUMB!!!

Spoiler

The aliens in this movie are so dumb.  Water kills them.  So let me understand, you come to a planet where 70% of the surface is the substance which can kill you, and oh yeah, it also falls from the sky.  

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2
17 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

My brother went and saw Ready Player One last week.  He's 29 and said he caught a lot of the references but wasn't sure if someone say, 25 or younger would totally get everything unless they were a pop culture junkie.

I would say there's a good balance - a lot of the references are things I believe people from a lot of different age groups would recognize (The Iron Giant and Chucky, for example) and then there are some subtle quips or other quick references that someone could easily miss. Overall, though, I thought the story and visuals were done well enough that even someone who doesn't know anything about video games or the 80's could find enjoyment.

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

One movie that had a really interesting premise was Signs by M. Night Shamalayn, or as I call him: M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong.  That movie though, the ending, was so damn DUMB!!!

Hide contents

The aliens in this movie are so dumb.  Water kills them.  So let me understand, you come to a planet where 70% of the surface is the substance which can kill you, and oh yeah, it also falls from the sky.  

I've always liked that movie. :lol: 

• Plus1 1
On 4/5/2018 at 7:19 AM, Enhance said:

I've always liked that movie. :lol: 

That's fine...I guess.  :blink:

Another M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong movie I said "WTF?!?!" to at the end was "The Village."

After that movie, I absolutely REFUSE to see another M. Night movie...I don't care how intriguing it seems.  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

M. Night ... That guy should NEVER direct another movie.

:ahhhhhhhh

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Another M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong movie I said "WTF?!?!" to at the end was "The Village."

After that movie, I absolutely REFUSE to see another M. Night movie...I don't care how intriguing it seems.  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

His narrative style is certainly hit or miss. I really didn't like The Village or The Sixth Sense. Both of those were forgettable to me despite the classic 'I see dead people' comment. Signs is sort of in that middle area. Split is easily the best one I've seen.

Watched a handful of flicks over the weekend. I'll also drop my GF's "reviews" of the 2.5 movies I didn't watch:

Coco - We both really liked this one. I think it would awesome to see in 3D. Good story too.

It - Not scary. Neat little story about the kids though. (Sequel coming in 2019 :facepalm: )

Insidious: The Last Key - It was fine. Not that scary. The story was kinda wonky.

Father Figures - We turned this off about 40 minutes in. It's not very funny. It's kinda sad in some parts.

The Shape of Water - It was ok. The art direction was really good. Lots of details to look at. Story was decent.

Ladybird - I didn't watch this. My GF said it was ok, but kinda boring.

Call Me By Your Name - I also didn't watch this. GF said it had no point and was just kinda blah :dunno

The Florida Project - I watched the tail end of this. It was just whatever. No real "story" to speak of.

I, Tonya - I was in and out watching this one. It's pretty funny at times and kinda just bizarre at times.

• Plus1 1
On 4/7/2018 at 1:46 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

Signs could have been good but wasn't.  The Village might have had the worst ending to a movie I've ever seen

On 4/7/2018 at 8:10 AM, Enhance said:

His narrative style is certainly hit or miss. I really didn't like The Village or The Sixth Sense. Both of those were forgettable to me despite the classic 'I see dead people' comment. Signs is sort of in that middle area. Split is easily the best one I've seen.

The Sixth Sense is a good movie, but after you have seen it once, there is no use in seeing it again.  Signs was dumb, the Village was OK, but the twist at the end was dumb.  His best movie is the one he did right after the Sixth Sense and that was Unbreakable.  Sam Jackson, Bruce Willis and Robin Wright.  It is good, but it moves really slowly.  It doesn't really have a twist ending.

Just now, NUinID said:

The Sixth Sense is a good movie, but after you have seen it once, there is no use in seeing it again.  Signs was dumb, the Village was OK, but the twist at the end was dumb.  His best movie is the one he did right after the Sixth Sense and that was Unbreakable.  Sam Jackson, Bruce Willis and Robin Wright.  It is good, but it moves really slowly.  It doesn't really have a twist ending.

Have you seen Split yet? I'm really stoked for the sequel