We usually wait for Redbox so my reviews usually won't be "in theatres now" current.

Watched Alien Covenant and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 this weekend.  Was pleasantly surprised with Alien C. Still #3 in the series behind Alien and Aliens IMO but it was sort of a fresh take on things with some cool visuals. I'd recommend it. Guardians 2 was okay but not near as good as the first one. Good soundtrack (again), fair amount of laughs and Groot was pretty cute but it seemed a little forced and recycled. Worth $1.50 though...

I saw 'It' this weekend, too. Overall, I thought it was decent. Bill Skarsård was a very creepy Pennywise and did that particular role justice. I thought the group of kids were also a pretty talented bunch with a couple standouts. The other thing I liked about it was how terrifying/weird they made some of the scare scenes.

I didn't like the movie's flow. They sacrificed story substance for jump scares and they seemed to rotate between the two themes constantly. Scare you, build plot, scare you, build plot. It just felt like I needed more from these characters in place of seeing Pennywise try to scare me again. I also, personally, wasn't a fan of 

Spoiler

the way they killed Georgie. I understand why they went the gruesome route but it was uncomfortable for me to watch.

Lastly, did anybody else who saw it notice the creepy lady behind Ben in the library? There's no reference to her at any point and then she just goes back to reading books before Ben gets out of his chair.

J8LkWh9aGH12Y2x3P7F45IgaPrqoK-kk1DsH2xiqzuE.jpg

Enhance, that's funny because,

Spoiler

In the original script it was supposedly meant to be even more gruesome and I was let down they held back.  Haha

I found it strange they gave Pennywise such a blatantly evil/scary look.  The thing that made Curry's Pennywise so creepy is he was scary on accident.  Skarsård was excellent though.

The chemistry between the kids was the strength of the movie, I thought.  If you felt like you didn't get enough from the characters that was a product of losing the original writer/director.

The jump scares and bad CGI we're the things that held the movie back for me.  That's just the problem with most modern horror movies.  That's why it all seemed sort of cookie cutter for me.  Probably not as big of an issue for people who don't watch a lot of horror movies.

Overall it was much better than the 1990 miniseries, but I preferred Curry's Pennywise.

Tim Curry is OUTSTANDING in every role...He had a great line something like "I am not a leading man, my face is not a leading mans face...so I get other roles" and he does or did, I think he is retired from acting and just does voice stuff.

Tim did make the clown creepy...he was able to animate his face still.  Wonderful job.

I can't wait to see It.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Enhance said:

Lastly, did anybody else who saw it notice the creepy lady behind Ben in the library? There's no reference to her at any point and then she just goes back to reading books before Ben gets out of his chair.

J8LkWh9aGH12Y2x3P7F45IgaPrqoK-kk1DsH2xiqzuE.jpg

Yes I totally noticed her and she was the one that creeped me out the most about that particular scene.  That was some good stuff right there.

11 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yes I totally noticed her and she was the one that creeped me out the most about that particular scene.  That was some good stuff right there.

Creepy smiles register pretty high on my 'what weirds me the F out' scale. One example that always pops into my head is a scene with the ventriloquist woman in Dead Silence. Also, in the 2017 'It,' 

Spoiler

all the smiling dead people in the sewers who attack Patrick Hockstetter. Screw. That.

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

Tim Curry is OUTSTANDING in every role...He had a great line something like "I am not a leading man, my face is not a leading mans face...so I get other roles" and he does or did, I think he is retired from acting and just does voice stuff.

Tim did make the clown creepy...he was able to animate his face still.  Wonderful job.

I can't wait to see It.

He was the original Joker in Batman: The Animated Series, but came down with bronchitis, was let go, and Mark Hamill got the gig. 

18 hours ago, teachercd said:

I can't wait to see It.

I think he's been having some health issues in recent years.

The episodes of Criminal Minds where he played a serial killer are among my all-time favorite episodes of television.  And I don't even like that show.  He elevated it that much.

10 Cloverfield Lane

This is a very good psychological thriller with a cliché sci-fi ending.  Almost like an extended Twilight Zone episode.

I didn't watch the first one so I didn't know what to expect with the ending.  I don't believe you need to see the first movie to enjoy this one.  The strengths here are the tense drama elements and John Goodman's sensational performance.

• Plus1 1

A few I watched for the first time recently:

Lucy: Not as good as I had hoped.  Watching ScarJo is always nice though.  I thought the story got a little wacky even for scifi standards.  Good concept, lazy finish.

Sin City 2: Continuity ruined a lot of this for me.  So many mistskes and revisionist liberties were made.  Recasting and time jump nonsense.  And the over the top stuff that made the first one so good made this one campy.  I loved Eva Green in this one though.  And Marv is always great even if he was made to be too cartoonish here.

Terminator Salvation: Better than i expected.  The twists weren't surprising, but the action overall was good.  The rep this one had made me skeptical, but I enjoyed it overall.  Some things were silly and ruined other story arcs but not a bad movie at all.

Terminator Genisys: What a steaming pile of crap.  Interesting concept that should have stayed on whatever fan fiction site they ripped this story off of.  How do you ruin not only Terminator, but also iconic Terminator 2?  Answer is Terminator Genisys.  If you haven't watched this, just don't.  Your curiosity can suck it, trust me you are better off only having seen the trailer to this.  Almost no redeeming qualities.  This thing is so bad, like my god this thing just keeps making you shudder over and over.