On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, The Dude said:

10 Cloverfield Lane

This is a very good psychological thriller with a cliché sci-fi ending.  Almost like an extended Twilight Zone episode.

I didn't watch the first one so I didn't know what to expect with the ending.  I don't believe you need to see the first movie to enjoy this one.  The strengths here are the tense drama elements and John Goodman's sensational performance.

That was a really good movie.

A few movies I have watched lately / out of 10 

Baby Driver - Seeing this in theater was a great idea. Great soundtrack and action 8.5

Passengers - Better than I thought it would be. My wife enjoyed it as well

Hacksaw Ridge - War movie based on true events. Cool seeing some of the real people at the end 7.5

Everybody Wants Some!!! - They tried to go with a Dazed and Confused type vibe for a college baseball team 6.5 

Black Mass - I know I'm late to the party on this one. Solid movie based on the real Whitey Bulger 8

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

The Witch 

I don't believe I'm being too bold in saying this is a bona fide horror masterpiece.

The only complaint I've seen is it's slow paced, but the pacing is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

We might only get a few brief glimpses of the witch, but her presence permeates throughout the movie.

Was this the one featuring the (Protestant or Puritan?) family that moves out into the country and is set a few hundred years ago?

We watched that one over the summer and we thought it was a really, really good movie. Super creepy and weird.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Would you guys recommend it for someone who hates horror but still tries to watch it?

I've watched <10 horror movies. When I asked for this before a few people mentioned The Ring so I watched that and really liked it.

I would recommend The Conjuring if you haven't seen it.  I'm not really a big fan of haunted house type movies, but it's an undeniably well-made movie.

Love @The Dude's suggestion. The Conjuring is a great horror movie. In fact The Conjuring's director, James Wan, has directed several horror movies I enjoy including Insidious, Dead Silence, The Conjuring 2 and Insidious: Chapter 2. I would recommend all of those.

Wan also directed Saw (not really my type of movie but it is definitely the best of the series) and he was/is executive producer on several popular horror movies since then.

If you want a horror movie that's not big into jump scares but tells a really powerful story, check out The Babadook. I believe it's still on Netflix. It's about a woman struggling with the loss of her husband while her son experiences paranormal activity. The theme of the movie is being able to face your inner demons every day, acknowledging their existence but being able to live beyond it.