FOX analyst Klatt thinks NU can overachieve due to Tanner Lee

Joel Klatt may be a former Colorado Buff, but he wants Nebraska back.

He knows all about the championship drought the Huskers have suffered. NU's last league championship in football was three years before Klatt walked on to CU in 2002.

Now a lead color analyst for Fox's top college football team, and one of the quickest risers in his business, the 35-year-old Klatt wants to see the Huskers break through again for the good of college football.

"You have to understand, I grew up in Big Eight country," Klatt said. "I was born in '82 in Denver, Colorado, and was a Colorado fan, so Nebraska was college football for my formative years until I went to college, maybe until Colorado beat them in '01, the 62-36 game. College football was the Big Red, so I really want them to return. Maybe that's the nostalgia part of me."

People tell him, But didn't you go to Colorado?

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/FOX-analyst-Klatt-thinks-NU-can-overachieve-due-to-Tanner-Lee-105450620

• Fire 1

This article should scare Husker fans to death. Klatt basically says that when Riley has a NFL caliber QB he jumps up and wins some games. When he doesn't.... it's back to .500 football. I pray that Diaco can turn the defense around or I'm afraid Klatt is right.

• Fire 1

This article should scare Husker fans to death. Klatt basically says that when Riley has a NFL caliber QB he jumps up and wins some games. When he doesn't.... it's back to .500 football. I pray that Diaco can turn the defense around or I'm afraid Klatt is right.

Why would we be scared - if Lee produces as an NFL caliber QB the next 3 recruiting classes will have an NFL caliber recruit coming to Nebraska. Riley had a hard time selling top QB's to OSU - that won't be the case here if Lee performs well.

Why would we be scared - if Lee produces as an NFL caliber QB the next 3 recruiting classes will have an NFL caliber recruit coming to Nebraska. Riley had a hard time selling top QB's to OSU - that won't be the case here if Lee performs well.

Because NFL caliber quarterbacks don't grow on trees. About 1% actually are even considered by NFL teams. So building your entire offense around one player isn't a recipe for continued success.

• Fire 2

Riley only won 10 games (9-3 season) one time which was 2006 with Matt Moore who is an NFL QB. He did however win 9 games in back-to-back seasons with Sean Canfield and Lyle Moevao in 07'-08'

Very very hard to get NFL QBs to play for you in college, especially at Oregon State. The Rodgers brothers didn't hurt to have on your team either.

It's pretty simple formula though... the better the players you have, the easier it is to win games.

• Fire 2

That's not what the article says at all. The quotes are that Tanner Lee is a good fit. Says that when osu had a good fit at qb the production went up. The NFL quality thing isn't mentioned anywhere.

• Fire 8

That's not what the article says at all. The quotes are that Tanner Lee is a good fit. Says that when osu had a good fit at qb the production went up. The NFL quality thing isn't mentioned anywhere.

So what's a good fit? He recruited QB's to run his offense every year but only had decent teams when he had guys that were considered NFL caliber signal callers.

Have you guys ever wondered why teams like USC, Miami, and Georgia hare so up and down? It's because finding elite QB's to run their offense is a crap shoot at best.

• Fire 1

I don't think the expectation is to have NFL-caliber quarterbacks on a regular basis at Nebraska. Having QB's that are a good 'fit' for Riley's offense, or whatever offense we run, should be an expectation, though. It could have a significant impact in the outcome of a handful of games, which could be the difference in winning our division.

I'm confused why anyone would question that logic.

• Fire 2

Georgia up and down? Miami, probation threat, SC on probation. I think there are some reasons those two schools have had problems, and it really does not have to do with the NFL QB missing.

We have needed a QB for a very long time. I think we have two or three that fit the frame work for the offense that Coach Riley wants to run. Tommy was not a QB that fit the template. Which made problems down the line.

I say we give the old guy a chance this year, as most the crap writers aren't. Tanner could make this a completely different team if we can protect him.

So anxious to see what the offense will look like with a real QB and I think a descent RB stable. Mike used running backs in passing when the Rodgers brothers were tearing it up.

Because NFL caliber quarterbacks don't grow on trees. About 1% actually are even considered by NFL teams. So building your entire offense around one player isn't a recipe for continued success.

so 1.26 QB's are only considered by the NFL each year? - i thought i saw somewhere that several were drafted last year..... must have been a dream.

Every team is built around the QB he touches the ball every play - does MR run some offense that no other team in the country runs?

• Fire 1

so 1.26 QB's are only considered by the NFL each year? - i thought i saw somewhere that several were drafted last year..... must have been a dream.

Every team is built around the QB he touches the ball every play - does MR run some offense that no other team in the country runs?

Take the number of college QB's in the country in all divisions against how many get drafted. Not that hard.

• Fire 1

Take the number of college QB's in the country in all divisions against how many get drafted. Not that hard.

I don't think it makes sense to use the quarterbacks of the RMAC to make a point about a team's quarterback in the B1G. Using just FBS schools it would be 1.3 quarterbacks. To make an apt comparison and use power five schools + BYU and Notre Dame, 1% of starting QBs would be 0.66 quarterbacks.

Nothing is more important than the QB for a team to be a winner. No matter how good the line, receivers or running backs are. Without a true QB that is a leader, you are not going to win at the level we want. He does not have to be NFL talent though. Bama has done quite well with game managers.

You just can't line up and run the ball down their throat anymore. Everyone has weight programs, and most everyone has talent on par with Nebraska. The QB sets the stage.

Nothing is more important than the QB for a team to be a winner. No matter how good the line, receivers or running backs are. Without a true QB that is a leader, you are not going to win at the level we want. He does not have to be NFL talent though. Bama has done quite well with game managers.

You just can't line up and run the ball down their throat anymore. Everyone has weight programs, and most everyone has talent on par with Nebraska. The QB sets the stage.

I agree. Nebraska has not had a real passing QB since 2009 and that year they made the Conference championship and almost ended up in a BCS bowl. We now have 3 pure QBs on the roster, so Riley's history of success with top QBs should bode well for the future.