FOX analyst Klatt thinks NU can overachieve due to Tanner Lee

I don't think the expectation is to have NFL-caliber quarterbacks on a regular basis at Nebraska. Having QB's that are a good 'fit' for Riley's offense, or whatever offense we run, should be an expectation, though. It could have a significant impact in the outcome of a handful of games, which could be the difference in winning our division.

I'm confused why anyone would question that logic.

It's called an agenda. Some "fans" have one regarding Riley.

• Fire 2

I like Riley as a person and hope he succeeds but I do not believe that his offensive philosophy will produce consistent winning at Nebraska or anywhere else in college football. And no I'm not saying we have to go back to Osbornes offense but I'd take it over Rileys.

• Fire 1

Nothing is more important than the QB for a team to be a winner. No matter how good the line, receivers or running backs are. Without a true QB that is a leader, you are not going to win at the level we want. He does not have to be NFL talent though. Bama has done quite well with game managers.

You just can't line up and run the ball down their throat anymore. Everyone has weight programs, and most everyone has talent on par with Nebraska. The QB sets the stage.

I agree. Nebraska has not had a real passing QB since 2009 and that year they made the Conference championship and almost ended up in a BCS bowl. We now have 3 pure QBs on the roster, so Riley's history of success with top QBs should bode well for the future.

I'm not sure we really had a real passing QB that year either with Zac Lee. Joe Ganz in 2008 was the last good passing QB we had.

• Fire 1

Overachieve? ....... different Husker language

Basically, it seems to the large majority of talking heads, pundits, odds makers, etc etc, if NU goes 9 wins or better, it will be an 'over achievement' I don't feel that is quite fair but as most people premise their comments on the Riley life history of "air it out Riley offense' and we are about to 'start' a Transfer QB from Tulane University Green Wave (not exactly a juggernaut). This is pretty much common sense thinking really and after two decades of mediocrity and a complete lack of championships for Nebraska within many people's memories, there is only one way Riley and NU will get over this and that's simply to WIN games. Last year, we ran off 7 wins and found ourselves being talked about as relevant again. Then, the injuries and disappointments, etc came again, almost as if 'on schedule'.

This fall's team has their fate solely in their own hands - the fans will be there loud and strong and rock the house for them but ultimately it is up to the players

to play the games with the kind of heart and desire and determination and 'Won't Be Beat!" mentality that turns heart breaking losses in to fan delighting wins. Effort and guts and smart football (coaches and players) will decide the fate of 2017 Husker football.

over achieve or under achieve - it is up to the players to determine the future.

• Fire 1

A passing quarterback and a good passing quarterback are different things. Zac Lee was a passing quarterback. He was also a good passing quarterback until he tore his elbow against Va Tech.

giphy.gif

He started two games before the VT game (against FAU & Arkansas St.)..... Not good enough competition too suggest he was any good, and based on what he done after that game, well..... He was f'n terrible.

Edit: And what he did at a JUCO in San Francisco doesn't really matter.

Overachieve? ....... different Husker language

Basically, it seems to the large majority of talking heads, pundits, odds makers, etc etc, if NU goes 9 wins or better, it will be an 'over achievement' I don't feel that is quite fair but as most people premise their comments on the Riley life history of "air it out Riley offense' and we are about to 'start' a Transfer QB from Tulane University Green Wave (not exactly a juggernaut). This is pretty much common sense thinking really and after two decades of mediocrity and a complete lack of championships for Nebraska within many people's memories, there is only one way Riley and NU will get over this and that's simply to WIN games. Last year, we ran off 7 wins and found ourselves being talked about as relevant again. Then, the injuries and disappointments, etc came again, almost as if 'on schedule'.

This fall's team has their fate solely in their own hands - the fans will be there loud and strong and rock the house for them but ultimately it is up to the players

to play the games with the kind of heart and desire and determination and 'Won't Be Beat!" mentality that turns heart breaking losses in to fan delighting wins. Effort and guts and smart football (coaches and players) will decide the fate of 2017 Husker football.

over achieve or under achieve - it is up to the players to determine the future.

Overachieve team = Boise State ..... year after year. Not once 4 or 5 star players; none. Mostly 2 stars and a few 3 stars.

A passing quarterback and a good passing quarterback are different things. Zac Lee was a passing quarterback. He was also a good passing quarterback until he tore his elbow against Va Tech.

giphy.gif

He started two games before the VT game (against FAU & Arkansas St.)..... Not good enough competition too suggest he was any good, and based on what he done after that game, well..... He was f'n terrible.

Edit: And what he did at a JUCO in San Francisco doesn't really matter.

I loved how exaggerating his tennis elbow was supposed to forgive his poor decision making and inability to go through progressions.
  • Fire 3

I'm no physician but I think there's a pretty legitimate difference between tennis elbow and a significant tear in your flexor tendon that requires surgery. I think he also injured his wrist against Arkansas State.

Why does everyone always need to disparage the less-than-great quarterbacks of Nebraska past and make sure that everyone knows they weren't good players? Go watch the games - lesser competition be damned, Zac was in complete control of the offense and his throws to start the season and overnight he couldn't put the ball anywhere close to where he wanted to.

The only asserting statements made were that Zac Lee was a passing quarterback (use your deductive skills to understand this to mean a non-dual threat, pass first type of player), and that he was a good passer when he was healthy.

• Fire 1

I'm no physician but I think there's a pretty legitimate difference between tennis elbow and a significant tear in your flexor tendon that requires surgery. I think he also injured his wrist against Arkansas State.

Why does everyone always need to disparage the less-than-great quarterbacks of Nebraska past and make sure that everyone knows they weren't good players? Go watch the games - lesser competition be damned, Zac was in complete control of the offense and his throws to start the season and overnight he couldn't put the ball anywhere close to where he wanted to.

The only asserting statements made were that Zac Lee was a passing quarterback (use your deductive skills to understand this to mean a non-dual threat, pass first type of player), and that he was a good passer when he was healthy.

You brought him up..... :D

• Fire 1

Actually, bnilhome brought him up originally, then red denver claimed he wasn't a passing quarterback because he wasn't good enough. I pointed out how stupid that logic is, and also offered an opinion on the ceiling of his abilities which we unfortunately didn't get to see much of.