Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?   

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure what definition of a "Christmas" movie is being used. Probably a couple different ones if there is a debate going on.

IIRC, Die Hard was originally released for the Christmas viewing season and the movie is set at Christmas time. That is why McClain was visiting his wife...the Christmas party at her work. I would say it is a Christmas movie. But other than that it isn't real Christmassy.

I voted "no," because to me it's an action movie, but Die Hard as a Christmas movie has been talked about before around here. Apparently many people feel it is.

Favorite Christmas Movie

Best Christmas Movie of all time

I know the Harry Potter movies aren't Christmas movies, but about half of them came out during the Christmas season so I've always associated them with Christmas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I voted no, but I guess this depends on your definition of a "Christmas movie." For me, a film is a Christmas movie if:

- a significant portion of the plot is directly related to the holiday

- the general tone and presentation is from a positive, innocent and/or childlike perspective

One could certainly argue how much Die Hard does/doesn't fit the first standard, but it most certainly does not meet the second.

I know the Harry Potter movies aren't Christmas movies, but about half of them came out during the Christmas season so I've always associated them with Christmas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are several movies like this for me, too. Not necessarily "Christmas movies" but ones I associate and often watch around the holidays. Harry Potter is one for me.

Someone else said recently they associated Band of Brothers with Christmas/the holidays, too.

• Fire 1

I voted no, but I guess this depends on your definition of a "Christmas movie." For me, a film is a Christmas movie if:

- a significant portion of the plot is directly related to the holiday

- the general tone and presentation is from a positive, innocent and/or childlike perspective

One could certainly argue how much Die Hard does/doesn't fit the first standard, but it most certainly does not meet the second.

I would agree with your two standards. But even though I don't feel Die Hard is a Christmas themed movie, I voted yes because technically I can see where someone might say it is. Like I said originally, it depends on the criteria being used. Does the release timing make it a Christmas movie or is it the general theme of the movie that matters more?

I always associate "It's a Wonderful Life" as a Christmas movie but I have no idea why. Very little of it has anything to do with Christmas and it's so old, who cares what time of year it was released. Probably depends on individual associations and is why things like this are argued about. Lethal Weapon is another that was released at Christmas time and even the opening scene had Christmas music but I sure wouldn't consider it a Xmas movie.

There are several movies like this for me, too. Not necessarily "Christmas movies" but ones I associate and often watch around the holidays. Harry Potter is one for me.

Someone else said recently they associated Band of Brothers with Christmas/the holidays, too.

I absolutely associate Band of Brothers with winter/Christmas. It's probably because so many of the scenes are from the winter of 1944. I look forward to cold, icy weather so I can watch it again every year.

Die Hard is more of a Christmas movie than It's a Wonderful Life is. Much more of Die Hard's plot and story is centered around Christmas.

If people can say It's a Wonderful Life is one of the best Christmas movies, then Die Hard most definitely is.

This is the correct answer.

It takes place on Christmas Eve, at a Christmas party, and in the end, the protagonist overcomes adversity with family and is reunited in the end. Also, Christmas music.

Totally a Christmas movie. If it took place in a place with snow, instead of California, people would be more inclined to agree.

Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. There's some good explanation here why it isn't, and why Christmas time was chosen as the setting.

http://screenrant.com/die-hard-christmas-movie-discussion/

Agreed with a lot of what the writer said.

Another thing that holds Die Hard back for me is that it's an outlier. You can't really compare Home Alone to Die Hard, or Miracle on 34th Street to Die Hard, or Polar Express to Die Hard. It's so structurally and contextually different from the vast majority of films considered "Christmas movies."

It's like Dolphins - yes, they live in the water, but that doesn't make them fish.