Gender/Transgender In The Military & In General

On 6/5/2018 at 12:00 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's election day here in California, where Gavin Newsom is running for Governor.

It was only 14 years ago that Newsom officiated same-sex weddings at SF City Hall in opposition to every law in the country. There is credence to the claim that this so outraged the religious right as to galvanize conservative turnout for the 2004 Presidential Election, down ticket races and several key ballot initiatives. 

The language and rationale used to fight gay rights is almost inconceivable today, and former opponents appear to have been genuinely won over to the cause of basic human decency.

Maybe 14 years seems like a long time to some of you, but that's a huge sea change. 

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Newsom runs for president in the next 8 years. 

Just now, Landlord said:

This is incredibly disheartening and awful. There's no arguing against that, and LGBTQ+ people usually go through some horrific abuse and social ostracizing that most other people can't imagine. Especially in a place like Achille, Oklahoma.

Cross-referencing this with the other discrimination by businesses' thread though, what do you suppose is a solution? Policy wise? Do everything we can to make her physically and emotionally safe, but that sadly won't change any of this behavior imo.

My solution?  To tell business owners just let me come in, spend my money, have a good time, and leave.  I'm not there to cause problems.  I'm not there to make an issue out of who I am.  I'm not asking for any special treatment.

All I want is to live my life without being bullied, threatened, harrassed, discriminated against, terrorized, and/or treated like I'm some kind of monster.

My money spends just as well as a hetero, white male, christian.  I just want the same basic courtesy, dignity, and respect afforded to me in a public space that any other person would want/expect.

I can only speak for myself, but I am fairly confident that is all pretty much anyone in the LBGTQIA community wants. 

• Plus1 3

And on a positive, progressive note, we have the first transgender woman win a Dem primary in VT for governor last night!  She was interviewed today and spoke very eloquently about her transition 3 years ago and that while she assumed she knew the issues she would face as an LGBT she was shocked at the misogny she experienced pretty quickly.  Her experiences as a man vs. out and transitioning and then being viewed as female are really eye opening.  Her interviews were interesting to listen to, and she's right.  In Vermont they don't care who you are they care what you can do.  

Imagine a world where there was no tv and you had to vote and make decisions on people by reading their goals and how they'd get there.  If we didn't know Hilary was a woman would she have been more attractive to some (absolutely).  If we didn't see color, or sex or gender or etc and just looked at apples to apples what a better world this would be.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I was just asking about this specific scenario with this transgender girl in the school. What solution is there to that problem, other than changing the hearts and minds of the people involved?

The solution is the same.  You (and I mean you in a general sense, not you specifically) don't have to like or even agree with someone being LBGTQIA--just leave us alone.  

1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The solution is the same.  You (and I mean you in a general sense, not you specifically) don't have to like or even agree with someone being LBGTQIA--just leave us alone.  

Respect and tolerance are two-way streets though Chimi. How about not harassing Christian businesses to try to force them to make Satan cakes or dildo cakes for gay weddings? You say you just want to be left alone. But others in the LGBT community are itching for a fight and have a shocking lack of respect for or tolerance of the rights of others to be left alone.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

If it's freedom of speech/religion/etc then feel free to say bad things to the gay ordering a cake, let them know you are Baptist and don't agree with their lifestyle and then bake the damn cake.  Or only bake cakes for the members of your church and those you know the spouses of.  You can't pick and choose if you run a public business. 

If you choose to discriminate then you should be required to post who you will and will not serve.

Front door:

This business welcomes straight, god fearing men and women.

If you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, atheist etc we would be happy to share a list of businesses that will serve you.

Would this baker post this?

The baker routinely makes cakes for gay people. Several of his customers are both gay and friends of his. He simply won’t make a cake to celebrate a gay wedding. That’s a key distinction.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Respect and tolerance are two-way streets though Chimi. How about not harassing Christian businesses to try to force them to make Satan cakes or dildo cakes for gay weddings? You say you just want to be left alone. But others in the LGBT community are itching for a fight and have a shocking lack of respect for or tolerance of the rights of others to be left alone.

Did you SERIOUSLY just equivocate asking someone to bake a cake to someone threatening physical violence?  Equating baking a birthday cake to cutting off someone's genitals?  To beating them mercilessly until they stop coming to school?

Did you SERIOUSLY just do that?

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

So the solution is for someone (who?) to go tell all of the parents of every kid in that school (via email, or postcards or something?) that they should stop being hateful and bullying that child and let her be. And then it will be fixed

?

47 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@Ric Flair so you going to address the incident in Oklahoma I mentioned and posted a link to?  Is that type of behavior okay?

Because I am here to tell you, those are the type of attitudes I encounter way more than you think.

That type of behavior is clearly not okay. Threatening a child with violence is ridiculous. 

I struggle with this issue. I think people should use bathrooms and locker rooms consistent with their physical anatomy. Women should be able to use the facilities without some guy with a penis making them feel uncomfortable. And men should be able to use a restroom without women around.

The solution to restrooms is probably stalls that extend to the floor and ensure privacy. Locker rooms are a trickier issue. I think the best solution is to have male, female, and other designations, based on physical anatomy. Then a transperson can either use the one that corresponds with their anatomy or the other one. That seems reasonable.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

So the solution is for someone (who?) to go tell all of the parents of every kid in that school (via email, or postcards or something?) that they should stop being hateful and bullying that child and let her be. And then it will be fixed

?

No.  The solution is for people to mind their own business.  Stop worrying about me and live your own life.  I'm not here to intrude on your life christians, why are you so hell bent on intruding into mine (and others like me)? 

At this point, I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about what I am saying.  Are you just bored?  Need someone to chat with?  Like seriously, I didn't think what I said was all that radical or difficult to understand.  But maybe it is. 

5 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Did you SERIOUSLY just equivocate asking someone to bake a cake to someone threatening physical violence?  Equating baking a birthday cake to cutting off someone's genitals?  To beating them mercilessly until they stop coming to school?

Did you SERIOUSLY just do that?

Is harassing someone and trying to sic the government on him and force him out of business a minor thing in your view? Is mocking his religious beliefs by calling and requesting Satan cakes, dildo cakes, etc. no big deal? Obviously there is no justification for threatening a child with violence. That’s horrible. But so is mocking someone’s beliefs and trying to force him out of business.

It’s not ALL ABOUT YOU Chimi. Your rights. Your thoughts. Your hurt feelings. Other people have rights, thoughts, and feelings too. Other people deserve respect too. You’re adamant about demanding rights for people like you...and good for you for that. But spare a thought occasionally for everyone else. Respect and tolerance are two way streets. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That type of behavior is clearly not okay. Threatening a child with violence is ridiculous. 

I struggle with this issue. I think people should use bathrooms and locker rooms consistent with their physical anatomy. Women should be able to use the facilities without some guy with a penis making them feel uncomfortable. And men should be able to use a restroom without women around.

The solution to restrooms is probably stalls that extend to the floor and ensure privacy. Locker rooms are a trickier issue. I think the best solution is to have male, female, and other designations, based on physical anatomy. Then a transperson can either use the one that corresponds with their anatomy or the other one. That seems reasonable.

Ryansallans2011.jpg So "she" (this person had a vagina in this picture) wouldn't make other women uncomfortable in the restroom?