5 or more drinks in two hours for a man.

4 or more in two hours for a women.

Does that seem low to be considered binge drinking?

thats about how much i drink.....a year. so it would be binge drinking for me now. when i was a teenager? that was a slow night.

I can't and don't do it anymore but like commando said, back in the day (college days) that was a slow to average weekend night. Ah the good ole days, get wasted Friday, hair of the dog part 2 on Saturday and lounge around all day Sunday watching football and recovering.

Tolerance certainly plays a factor. Five drinks in a night is usually 1) way more than I'm used to these days and 2) sure to leave me somewhat miserable come morning.

Their threshold kind of makes sense, though. One drink/hour with a glass of water in between is the way I'm able to stay sober enough and legally able to drive.

I don't think that's what most people mean by binge drinking.

IMO you can be drunk in an hour without having fit the definition of binge drinking.

When most people think binge drinking it means to drink a dangerous amount/enough to pass out/forget what you did the night before.

That's basically the inference I've taken all these years too, Moiraine. I remember learning about "binge drinking" in Home Ec in middle school, and the situation they dramatized involved someone having between 15-20 drinks in a night, to the point they passed out.

I would assume two things about this 'five drinks every two hours' rule - first, the creators of it are probably suggesting if you extrapolate that over one night it could end up being 10-15 drinks in 4-6 hours. I'd considered that binge drinking. Second, I bet a lot of people view binge drinking as some continual problem that happens after repeated (and copious) drinking. This rule is sort of saying hold up... just because you haven't been drinking a ton over the whole night doesn't mean you can't go overboard in a couple hours.