New Chicago Husker watch site - The Tankard

suh_fan93

The Tankard is SO excited to announce we have partnered with Chicagoans for Nebraska to be an official watch site for Nebraska Football! Join us for the season kickoff Saturday September 2nd @ 7pm- More details coming soon!!

About

The Tankard, a Neighborhood Spot
Proud to be a Nebraska bar! Go Big Red!
Public Transit
The Damen Blue Line stop is located around the corner and we are easily accessible by the #56 Milwaukee Bus, #50 Damen Bus, and #72 North Ave. Bus.
Attire
Casual

Services
Takes Reservations
Walk-Ins Welcome
Good For Groups
Good For Kids
Take Out
Delivery
Waiter Service
Parking
Street parking
Address: 1635 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, Illinois
Phone: (773) 292-2765

View Menu

Facebook

Twitter

e14b7043fe40437b3ee4363aeee705ce.jpg

df30d14781ebe337379cdb2720cc53c5.jpg

13909301_1409772669049979_19044187339619

20429744_1834086766618565_34811917185407

• Fire 1

Ummm.............that place better expand. It's not big enough for everyone who will show up. When I lived in Chicago the watch site was McGee's. It was over by Depaul. It was a little bigger than what this looks like and that place was packed with Huskers. The last year I was in Chicago they renovated it and made it bigger but switched it to a watch site for another team. I couldn't understand it. They had to be killing it with what I saw there on Husker game days. I think they became a Notre Dame or Michigan St site or something. Anyways, as soon as I found that out I never returned. Still have some red husker cups from there. Loved it too as it was only a short walk from where I lived.

Ummm.............that place better expand. It's not big enough for everyone who will show up. When I lived in Chicago the watch site was McGee's. It was over by Depaul. It was a little bigger than what this looks like and that place was packed with Huskers. The last year I was in Chicago they renovated it and made it bigger but switched it to a watch site for another team. I couldn't understand it. They had to be killing it with what I saw there on Husker game days. I think they became a Notre Dame or Michigan St site or something. Anyways, as soon as I found that out I never returned. Still have some red husker cups from there. Loved it too as it was only a short walk from where I lived.

A lot of my friends live in Wicker Park for one plus it really isn't all that far from me so I will definitely be trying it out. Also Kirkwoods is usually packed on game day. The more Husker bars in Chicago the better.

My go to Husker bar was The Birds nest on Southport which is now a Michigan State bar. They played the fight song over the speakers for every Husker touchdown. Super cute and super nice waitresses. I still go there but really wish they were still a Husker bar...

A lot of my friends live in Wicker Park for one plus it really isn't all that far from me so I will definitely be trying it out. Also Kirkwoods is usually packed on game day. The more Husker bars in Chicago the better.

My go to Husker bar was The Birds nest on Southport which is now a Michigan State bar. They played the fight song over the speakers for every Husker touchdown. Super cute and super nice waitresses. I still go there but really wish they were still a Husker bar...

Ya, they used to play the fight song at Mcgees after scores too. Really cheap shots after scores too.
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Aight fellas - we're going to be up in Chicago over Labor Day weekend and the first game (getting our engagement photos taken up there).

Which place should we go? And Landlord, you said Kirkwoods is pretty packed. Do they do reservations?

We'll have a car but transit will probably depend on if we can find a good place with Spothero or if we just F the car and L it down.

2 hours ago, Enhance89 said:

Aight fellas - we're going to be up in Chicago over Labor Day weekend and the first game (getting our engagement photos taken up there).

Which place should we go? And Landlord, you said Kirkwoods is pretty packed. Do they do reservations?

We'll have a car but transit will probably depend on if we can find a good place with Spothero or if we just F the car and L it down.

Kirkwood gets really packed, but it's also quite big (definitely the biggest as far as Husker watch sites as far as I've been made aware). They don't do reservations unfortunately, but there's also a lot of areas that just become standing areas. I took my mom there last opening weekend/labor day, and we got there about two hours before kick and all the tables were taken, but we just kept our eye out and found a table people were leaving from okay. 

If you don't want to deal with the hassle you should definitely get there ~3 hours early at least, but it's the best atmosphere you can find and worth it imo. Kirkwood also has a lot of street parking and spothero lots under the L all around it.

If you guys decide to do it shoot me a message! Would love to meet and buy you a beer.

Sounds awesome!

I just realized this morning my fiancée and I went to Kirkwood's for a World Series game last year, but never went in because it had a line of 100 people out the door.:lol:

I think Kirkwood's will be particularly difficult because there's a Cubs game at 1:20 that day and we're planning to go to it before the Husker game. But, at least it's within relative walking distance? lol

9 hours ago, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

It's not super close to Wrigley, at least I wouldn't want to walk that, but it's about a 10-15 minute train ride or uber. 

We walked it, but we also didn't have a car when we visited during the World Series, so that kinda sucked.:lol: