New defensive consultant

Of course, but I wonder if he might be a little... behind the times with what teams are running these days? I remember shortly after Diaco was hired, there was a quote from McBride that said "He knows way more about pass coverages than I ever did - we just didn't face these kind of modern passing offenses back when I was coaching." Guess it depends what exactly is expected of him in his position...

• Fire 1

Of course, but I wonder if he might be a little... behind the times with what teams are running these days? I remember shortly after Diaco was hired, there was a quote from McBride that said "He knows way more about pass coverages than I ever did - we just didn't face these kind of modern passing offenses back when I was coaching." Guess it depends what exactly is expected of him in his position...

Yeah, but...... he's a consultant. He isn't there too make any decisions.

• Fire 1

He could have been hired to do any number of things, including just breaking down opposing offense film and putting it into a format for Diaco to use while game planning.

The consultant can offer up any advice he wants, but Diaco/Riley will make the calls when it's all said and done. Seems like a good move on the surface.

• Fire 2

Another set of experienced eyes. What could be bad about this? Diaco and Riley are still ultimately in charge. I can't tell you how many times I wish even a common fan could've had Banker's ear for 5 minutes.

I'm fairly confident, as I am with most division one coaches, that Banker could see what went wrong and knew ways to fix it. I think the real challenge involves being able to effectively teach your players what to do and then getting them to do it when it matters.