New defensive consultant

Looking at Wikipedia, Darnell was DC at Kansas State when Gary Patterson played LB, then Patterson was the GA under him for a year. Later Darnell was a DC under Al Groh at Wake Forest for a couple of years. It was at Western Mich that he was the HC and Diaco was the Linebackers/ST coach. Diaco was LB/ST coach for Groh at Virginia a couple of years later, and learned the 3-4 from him then. I'm guessing Darnell helped him get that job.

This is becoming the norm. I am glad they are doing it.

I would like to see 10 or 15 consultants. Get them to watch every game for every opponent. That way when our coaches will have all the film analyzed, and many thoughts on what the opposition does and how to counter it.

Pretty much what 'Bama is doing right now.

If nothing else a hire with his pedigree will help with film breakdown, scouting of future opponents and tendencies, and organization of practice schedule/drills (although no contact with players is allowed.

Looks like you Huskers faced him in the mid 90s position coach @Texas and DC at A&M in 06-07.

I don't know if it's fair, but Darnell takes the brunt of the blame for ND not winning a championship in the Jerome Bettis era. His aggressive defense didn't match Lou's ball control offense.

This is becoming the norm. I am glad they are doing it.

I would like to see 10 or 15 consultants. Get them to watch every game for every opponent. That way when our coaches will have all the film analyzed, and many thoughts on what the opposition does and how to counter it.

I heard Riley say he couldn't even name everybody in the staff meetings (later said he was kidding and could) as a joke to how large it is now. I think I read somewhere else that Nebraska has 40 people on the football staff. I will try to find that link. I wonder if we aren't getting close to the number you asked for?

It's actually 41 including secretaries, video/social media, and recruiting people: http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=22&SPSID=2

• Fire 1

If nothing else a hire with his pedigree will help with film breakdown, scouting of future opponents and tendencies, and organization of practice schedule/drills (although no contact with players is allowed.

Looks like you Huskers faced him in the mid 90s position coach @Texas and DC at A&M in 06-07.

I don't know if it's fair, but Darnell takes the brunt of the blame for ND not winning a championship in the Jerome Bettis era. His aggressive defense didn't match Lou's ball control offense.

This actually excites me. Maybe he can bring some aggressiveness to the meeting room. See, Bob, this play here would've been a great time to bring blitz package Z. Idk if that's what you meant by aggressive but if it is, I like it in the meeting room.putting good ideas in our coaches heads.

I am all for having as many good football minds as the NCAA will allow us around the program, particularly when it comes to game planning and game execution and stratregy.

But, at the same time, the coaches who are going to be handling the 'in game' play calling, substitutions, scheme adjustments, etc etc MUST be the very same ones who break down opponent film, analysis and tendencies. The Riley as his primary staff MUST be personally involved and putting all the work in themselves so they recognize and KNOW the details. You can rely on others to do your prep and study. Each game is like a big exam or test on the material you should have studied ad infinitum. If you are content to have others do your home work, you are doomed to miss those key questions and will blow it on the game day exam.

Finding and screening future players, doing the back ground on things, eval of past films and all that are great to have second and third and fourth opinions but they better really know whagt they are doing and better know our own strengths and weaknesses so they can avoid the disasters.

I am all for having as many good football minds as the NCAA will allow us around the program, particularly when it comes to game planning and game execution and stratregy.

But, at the same time, the coaches who are going to be handling the 'in game' play calling, substitutions, scheme adjustments, etc etc MUST be the very same ones who break down opponent film, analysis and tendencies. The Riley as his primary staff MUST be personally involved and putting all the work in themselves so they recognize and KNOW the details. You can rely on others to do your prep and study. Each game is like a big exam or test on the material you should have studied ad infinitum. If you are content to have others do your home work, you are doomed to miss those key questions and will blow it on the game day exam.

Finding and screening future players, doing the back ground on things, eval of past films and all that are great to have second and third and fourth opinions but they better really know whagt they are doing and better know our own strengths and weaknesses so they can avoid the disasters.

I don't think he was brought on to decrease their workload. Just another respected football mind with an opinion they value.

This actually excites me. Maybe he can bring some aggressiveness to the meeting room. See, Bob, this play here would've been a great time to bring blitz package Z. Idk if that's what you meant by aggressive but if it is, I like it in the meeting room.putting good ideas in our coaches heads.

Is there any NCAA rule about when a 'consultant' can meet with a player as opposed to a coach?

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to have Shawn Watson as a consultant. I never thought he was very good at making adjustments during a game, but IMO, he is elite at preparing for a game. When he was at Colorado he devised a game plan that decimated Bohl's defense. While at Nebraska, our offense jumped on teams at the beginning of games several times,including Oklahoma in the CCG. I suppose there is no chance of getting him back here.

On 7/30/2017 at 2:17 PM, Toe said:

Of course, but I wonder if he might be a little... behind the times with what teams are running these days? I remember shortly after Diaco was hired, there was a quote from McBride that said "He knows way more about pass coverages than I ever did - we just didn't face these kind of modern passing offenses back when I was coaching." Guess it depends what exactly is expected of him in his position...

Mcbride has been gone 17 years...