Fall Camp News & Notes

I have looked at the prospects for this team since spring and have felt all along that there is every reason to believe we'll be better than last by a considerable margin. Position by position, I don't see a drop off anywhere absent major injuries to a given position. We should be better on DL, LB, Secondary, OL, WR, RB, QB and kicking should be better and hopefully we actually have a return game.

So little discussion is had of the kicking/ special teams part of the team and I somewhat understand that perhaps it is not quite as important as it was 10 or 20 years ago but it is still atleast 20 to 25% of a game.

So long as the players continue to work hard, get into 'game ready' shape and avoid the injuries, we will be a team to reckon with this fall. I feel very sure it will be Riley's best NU team by far and will likely be the best college team Riley has coached in his life (USC may have been comparable but idk?).

I am thinking 10 wins is kind of my expectation with a chance to exceed that with some good luck and maybe 8 or 9 if lady luck goes against.

Do I think we can run the table with this team? One in a million odds as we don't have enough very good players across all the spots to contend. Could we win the Big Ten if the ccg opponent is Penn State or Mich State? Yup. Can we beat Ohio State in Lincoln ? Only with God's assistance. LOL

Mod Edit: Link removed

A quick, bastardized summary is that he thinks we have some real strengths this year, Lee is the real deal and the offense can finally do some of the things DL and MR want them to do. He thinks the OLine can be good this year but is also in the "prove it" stage. Defensively, we are good on DLine, ILB, and S - depth is the only concern. He feels CB and OLB are the biggest weaknesses on the team. He concluded with his thoughts that we probably have enough strengths to win 9, maybe 10 games if the right things fall in place, but we also have enough weaknesses to exploit to think we won't end up with 10. 8 is his prediction, reminding everyone that @PSU is a tough swap on the schedule and that 8 could still mean a better year than last year.

Edited by Mavric
Removed link to competing message board
  • Fire 3

Is there any reason why this year's offensive line shouldn't be better than last years?

I'd also suggest that a more accurate passer willing to attempt shorter check down and outlet passes -- and less prone to improvised scrambles -- makes the OLs job easier.

It's not as if pass protection has arisen as a major concern in the first place. We've been fairly solid in that department. Run blocking is were improvement is sorely needed.

A quick, bastardized summary is that he thinks we have some real strengths this year, Lee is the real deal and the offense can finally do some of the things DL and MR want them to do. He thinks the OLine can be good this year but is also in the "prove it" stage. Defensively, we are good on DLine, ILB, and S - depth is the only concern. He feels CB and OLB are the biggest weaknesses on the team. He concluded with his thoughts that we probably have enough strengths to win 9, maybe 10 games if the right things fall in place, but we also have enough weaknesses to exploit to think we won't end up with 10. 8 is his prediction, reminding everyone that @PSU is a tough swap on the schedule and that 8 could still mean a better year than last year.

so it's come to this?? we may be better this year, even if we lose more games, because we play a tougher schedule? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 1

so it's come to this?? we may be better this year, even if we lose more games, because we play a tougher schedule? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

That is the old losers lunch mantra. We were better...but those other teams were better too.

Let us all just make this really simple. Riley will either have NU better this year (more than 9 wins)...worse than last year (Less than 9 wins) or the same (9 wins)

Those are the 3 things that can happen.

• Fire 1

If anyone wanted to read the full thing. SSO is a pretty decent poster.

Edited by BIGREDIOWAN
Link removed as it was earlier by Mavric, we aren't going to allow links to a competing message board.

Mav edits the post to remove the link, and then you link it again? Bold.

While I am bold, as you know, I didn't know why anything was edited, I didn't bother reading the reason.

Sorry about that to the mods! My bad!

Although I would hardly consider that board a competing board...no one can compete with this place!

Why would OLB be a weakness? Marcus Newby and Gifford are really good OLBs. So maybe its the other side with Alex Davis and Sedrick King that need work? Also anyone know what happened to Colin Miller, is he hurt or whats the deal with him.

Yes, it seems like the Dog OLB spot is in real good hands with Gifford and Newby. The other OLB spot is the one that needs someone to step up and realize their potential on a consistent basis.

Why would OLB be a weakness? Marcus Newby and Gifford are really good OLBs. So maybe its the other side with Alex Davis and Sedrick King that need work? Also anyone know what happened to Colin Miller, is he hurt or whats the deal with him.

Yes, it seems like the Dog OLB spot is in real good hands with Gifford and Newby. The other OLB spot is the one that needs someone to step up and realize their potential on a consistent basis.

Alright so I was on the right page at least. Also I just read Miller is an inside linebacker now so that is where he is.

That is the old losers lunch mantra. We were better...but those other teams were better too.

Let us all just make this really simple. Riley will either have NU better this year (more than 9 wins)...worse than last year (Less than 9 wins) or the same (9 wins)

Those are the 3 things that can happen.

Very true statement in regards to W/L columns. Here is another statement:

Our schedule will either be easier, tougher or roughly the same.

The polls would be very boring if both factors weren't taken into consideration..... then again with some very good marking they could rename them the Coaches Standings and have big a coming out party each week of where the teams will fall.

Not pointed at your Cali, I know you are just sharing what the poster from Max said but does anyone else hate the old line "We might have less wins this year but actually be better than last year"

To play Devil's Advocate, not all 8-4 seasons are created equal, and the difference between 8-4 or 9-3 can sometimes be the bounce of a ball. I just don't think it's black and white.

Comparatively, it's much like what Bill Parcells said - "you are what you record says you are." Is that a 100%, cut and dry truth? No, but there is some truth to it. There's just a lot more to how good or bad a team is than their w/l record.