Fall Camp Updates - Receivers & Tight Ends

If you rewatch the games, you will see guys running wide open time after time.

This is THE most important point as I felt Tommy A all too often almost knew who he was going to throw to before the snap. His roommate was one you could expect to be his primary target. Westy was a good hands guy who ran excellent routes (in my opinion though it is hard to know for sure if he always did exactly what he was supoosed to do). He just was not exceptionally fast or quick or strong or otherwise had some superior attributes that gave him an edge over the guy defending him. He had to make up for lack of elite skills with brains and technique.

I see more athleticism on the field this fall from the WRs and RBs that will be much harder to defend because I really expect Tanner will find an open man, wherever he may be, much more often than not. If the QB can read the defense and the receivers run where they are supposed to and with any luck we have some good audibles and play changes to take advantage of defensive alignments and overplay, we will be hard to stop. And those RBs are going to be good enough make teams respect the draws, off tackles, etc. We don't have to have the QB making a run for his life - something out of nothing - type of scramble if we have 10 other offensive guys doing their jobs well. We can have a nice offense with no weak links, even without a superstar out there. Defense will have to pick their poison in my view.

Well, Lindsey played Thursday, and played spectacularly well. 

On Nebraska's first play of live scrimmaging he broke free on a deep post route and was five yards past his defender when quarterback Tanner Lee hit him in stride 40 yards down the field.

Later in the same session Lindsey made what will probably go down as one of the best plays from camp.

Running another deep route up the sideline, Lindsey was blanketed by a pair of defensive backs. Lee again fired his way, and Lindsey leapt, turned in the air and made a one-handed grab before falling to the turf. 

LJS

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, 1995 Redux said:

The tidbits about Lindsey just back up what I heard Wednesday.  Kid could become our top receiver in quick fashion.

Seems like the only thing holding him back from doing that is experience at this level and probably not knowing the play book as well as players like Morgan.

With some experience and by mid season, he and Morgan on the field at the same time.....wow......

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Carter was probably our best combination of blocking and catching for many years.  On top of that though, we have had QBs that weren't good at hitting them.

Reed was probably the last true receiving tight end we have had. And could you imagine if he would have had Lee instead of T-Mart throwing the ball