Fall Camp Updates - Receivers & Tight Ends

By my count we would have had three scholarship receivers suited up for practice today: DPE, Morgan and Lindsey.

4 if you consider Darlington a WR still.

Yes, that would be (kind of) true.

I was thinking that he didn't make the camp roster but I guess that was a reporting mistake.

But I've heard literally nothing about him so I don't think he's really in the conversation at WR.

Husker receivers have battled injuries each of the last two camps. But this corps can’t afford many more setbacks. NU had just four scholarship receivers — Stanley Morgan, De’Mornay Pierson-El, Tyjon Lindsey and Zack Darlington — practicing Thursday, and Darlington, a holder and emergency quarterback, is low on the depth chart. At least one junior walk-on receiver, Lincoln East graduate Bryan Reimers, is expected to be a scholarship guy for his last two seasons, and he practiced Thursday.

How do the Huskers cope?

“We’re gonna make some acquisitions off of the waiver wire,” Riley joked.

In reality, Nebraska called up some new players to the 105-man roster, including Omaha Skutt walk-on Christian Banker, who had planned to just attend school at NU until he received a late-spring offer to join the Huskers. Now, Banker is in training camp.

Names to watch, though, will be two walk-on seniors from Big Ten country: Gabe Rahn and Brett Classen. Receivers coach Keith Williams likes both. Rahn, from Le Mars, Iowa, has one career catch — a 35-yard touchdown last season against Wyoming — while Classen, a Winona (Minn.) State transfer, doesn’t have any.

OWH

I am going to be paying close attention to Stanley this year. Like everyone, I want to see him burst onto the scene and be one of the best WR's in the country. I know he can be that guy but he still has a lot to prove. I was a little disappointed with him at OSU because I felt like he did not show up in his opportunities. His lack of straight line speed is an issue against elite corners so I hope he has really mastered the position. I hate to nitpick a player because I understand the grind but he gets a pass by everyone and I just don't think he has earned it yet.

I am going to be paying close attention to Stanley this year. Like everyone, I want to see him burst onto the scene and be one of the best WR's in the country. I know he can be that guy but he still has a lot to prove. I was a little disappointed with him at OSU because I felt like he did not show up in his opportunities. His lack of straight line speed is an issue against elite corners so I hope he has really mastered the position. I hate to nitpick a player because I understand the grind but he gets a pass by everyone and I just don't think he has earned it yet.

I don't think we've had a competent enough QB to allow him to of "earned it".

I understand what you're saying, just not sure he's had many opportunities.

• Fire 1

Yeah and I am completely aware of that. I know the staff sees him everyday so they know what he brings. In the end, I want to see him become that guy that OSU, Wisc, or anybody simply cannot handle if the guy at QB is worth a damn. I feel like he and DPE can easily be those dudes. DPE torched USC as a freshman and all of those DB's went first round.

Yeah and I am completely aware of that. I know the staff sees him everyday so they know what he brings. In the end, I want to see him become that guy that OSU, Wisc, or anybody simply cannot handle if the guy at QB is worth a damn. I feel like he and DPE can easily be those dudes. DPE torched USC as a freshman and all of those DB's went first round.
Yup, I hear ya and agree.

If the OL gives Lee time, I think we will all be impressed with the quality and abilities of the receivers. Imagine how much better any receiver will look being hit in stride or waist/chest height balls............ The receivers will also have a big role in getting the running game open. A receiver, physical at the point of attack and winning more than their share of 50-50 balls will make DC's have to keep the safeties to play the pass and not slide into the box..