Fall Camp Updates - Cornerbacks

There's a good story brewing in this camp. Jeremiah Stovall joined the team in January of 2016 after being selected from a walk-on tryout. A sophomore from Omaha (Creighton Prep), he's working as one of the top five cornerbacks, seeing action Sunday with the second unit.

We'll be writing soon about Stovall, on that you can count.

I like that the 5-foot-11, 185-pounder plays with confidence. He's even a bit feisty. He tried to strip the ball from Devine Ozigbo as the 6-foot, 230-pound running back charged upfield. Ozigbo had a tight grip and held on. But he shot Stovall a glare.

LJS

SEEN: Another good day for Omaha Creighton Prep walk-on cornerback Jeremiah Stovall. He had an interception during a drill when he mirrored NU freshman Jaevon McQuitty, broke on the ball quickly and outmuscled McQuitty for the pick. Later, Stovall ran stride-for-stride with Conor Young on a go route, popping the ball free from Young as the two came down.

OWH

Man, will the light bulb turn on for Avery Anderson? Getting beat once isn't a big deal or anything but it sounds like he may be several rungs lower on the depth chart than I expected.

I want to believe it's a good thing that a walk-on is standing out and looking good. Could absolutely be a good thing. But it also feels like something where we might look back at some point and go, "oh so it wasn't really a good thing."

Man, will the light bulb turn on for Avery Anderson? Getting beat once isn't a big deal or anything but it sounds like he may be several rungs lower on the depth chart than I expected.

I want to believe it's a good thing that a walk-on is standing out and looking good. Could absolutely be a good thing. But it also feels like something where we might look back at some point and go, "oh so it wasn't really a good thing."

Avery Anderson isn't gonna be alone when the final list of guys Lindsey runs by is complete. Plus you gotta give him a minute to get acclimated to corner again. He's been running with the safeties.

Avery Anderson isn't gonna be alone when the final list of guys Lindsey runs by is complete. Plus you gotta give him a minute to get acclimated to corner again. He's been running with the safeties.

Agreed. I hope this staff is looking for the best players regardless of previous HS star power and I think they really are.

I think this is a lot of the problem. He mostly played safety in HS. Then he got switched to corner when he got here. Then it was back to safety last year and now back to corner.

He's hasn't played the same position in consecutive years for way too long.

At cornerback, in two practices, Lamar Jackson looks a little like another guy who wore No. 21 — Prince Amukamara. Long, lean, gets a jump on the ball. Jackson seems much happier in 2017, too. He’s said as much in interviews, as well. Donte Williams becoming the new coach has helped him and Eric Lee, who I’ve seen show off some decent ball skills. I haven’t seen a ton of Dicaprio Bootle. I’ve caught more reps of Jeremiah Stovall, a walk-on from Creighton Prep, and he’s pretty good. He had an interception Thursday that was terrific, textbook stuff, outplaying Jaevon McQuitty for the ball.

OWH