Fall Camp Updates - Offensive Line

2 hours ago, NUinID said:

Your really don't know much about it do you.  You expect the line to be vintage 1994 and that isn't happening.  So you need to get over it.  Last year the line was pretty serviceable considering the injuries.  After Knevel re-injured his ankle in the first series against Indiana last year, Nebraska was playing 3 walk ons  out of 5 linemen, and they sill won the game.  

You know nothing about offensive line, as a unit it is by far the hardest thing to develop.    

He probably thought the 1994 offensive line sucked also:

KSU - 50 attempts/168 yards - 3.36 yards per carry

CO - 53 attempts/203 yards - 3.83 yards per carry

OU - 50 attempts/136 yards - 2.72 yards per carry

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Do tell.  They graded out as one of the top OL in the country up until injuries derailed them.  I'm not ignoring anything...I just don't have selective memory to fit a narrative.  Keep in mind that you have to look at the entire season and not just a few games where they were injured to call them crap.

I think you got the wrong guy.  I don't think they're crap.  I think Gates, Foster, and Farmer are very good players and the jury is still kind of out on Knevel and Conrad.

Where did you see them graded as a top unit nationally?  I don't doubt you, I'm genuinely curious.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think you got the wrong guy.  I don't think they're crap.  I think Gates, Foster, and Farmer are very good players and the jury is still kind of out on Knevel and Conrad.

Where did you see them graded as a top unit nationally?  I don't doubt you, I'm genuinely curious.

I remembered them having some good 4th quarters but expect games against crappy defenses like Oregon and fresno state but i dont remembered the oline ever being great last year.

4 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

I wonder if Conrad struggles during the season if Cav considers moving Boe wilson in at center since it seems that he is the sixth best lineman from what I have heard. This year we have a lot more depth to work with on the o-line than we did from last year. I want to see this line improved from last year and more consistent down the stretch, especially against better competition. Regardless of injuries or what not, this year has no excuses to be bad with the experience and talent that has been built. The only question mark for me is the back up right tackle spot because that is the biggest weakness on the line right now, especially if knevel underperforms this year.

Seems like we have some younger guys pushing the starters.  Thats a good thing.  We will have injuries on the OL.  Always do.  This year, I'm hoping Cav puts in the back up.  No excuses for a one legged lineman to be in over a healthy back up....

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Pure speculation but I think he may be referencing tweets by PFF Mav would post last year. That was mostly for indivduals not units and the only guys on the line I remember being mentioned were Utter (one of the top C the week vs Wisky), Gates, and Farmer (I think he was the best graded lineman we had on the season). By no means a top unit nationally though.

On 8/19/2017 at 1:25 PM, NUinID said:

Your really don't know much about it do you.  You expect the line to be vintage 1994 and that isn't happening.  So you need to get over it.  Last year the line was pretty serviceable considering the injuries.  After Knevel re-injured his ankle in the first series against Indiana last year, Nebraska was playing 3 walk ons  out of 5 linemen, and they sill won the game.  

You know nothing about offensive line, as a unit it is by far the hardest thing to develop.    

I know nothing  okay, hardest to develope ok don't tell that Wiscy or iowa or penn state  or .........gimme me a break dude!

16 hours ago, marko polo said:

I know nothing  okay, hardest to develope ok don't tell that Wiscy or iowa or penn state  or .........gimme me a break dude!

Excluding penn st your other two examples have been coaching lineman the same way and running basically the same offensive system for 15 plus years. And if memory serves me right penn st's oline hasnt been anything to write home about.

4 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Question--will the offense continue to play only the five starters on the line this season without switching out/subbing kids, or will they be working in some of this second string talent we keep hearing about?

I don't think Riley/cav will be able to keep some of the 2nd stringers out of a game the whole time.  They will have to rotate Wilson and Farniok and maybe one other in from time to time.

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't think Riley/cav will be able to keep some of the 2nd stringers out of a game the whole time.  They will have to rotate Wilson and Farniok and maybe one other in from time to time.

Thanks. That makes sense... :)