Fall Camp Updates - Linebackers

Nebraska’s in really good shape at inside linebacker, where the competition between Chris Weber, Dedrick Young, Mohamed Barry and Avery Roberts is spirited. I’ve watched more of Barry and Roberts, especially Roberts, a top recruit in the 2017 class who’s getting a crash course in Power Five football vs. skill guys in Delaware high school football. The more reps Roberts gets, the better the habits will get, the fewer tackles he’ll miss in the open field. It’s hard not to see him and Barry starting next season. At outside linebacker ... so I watched pass rush drills on Thursday, and there’s work to do. Jury’s out — give Diaco and 'backers coach Trent Bray a few weeks. Freshman Guy Thomas will get a deserving look as the boundary OLB who can put his hand down on third down. In pass coverage drills and teamwork, Diaco coaches all the linebackers hard after every play. Instant, detailed feedback.

OWH

More than one top dog in NU's ‘cooperative performance’ between Luke Gifford and Marcus Newby at outside linebacker

During 10 minutes with the media, Gifford looked and sounded like a man who expects to play a lot in NU’s new 3-4 defense. A man hungry for each practice that gets him closer to the season opener against Arkansas State.

Among Husker defenders, Gifford may have benefited the most from a switch from the 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme under new coordinator Bob Diaco. He’s up to 6-foot-3, 240 pounds. He’s at the “dog” outside linebacker position, where he can use his long arms to help set NU’s wall against the run. According to linebackers coach Trent Bray, Gifford is becoming one of Nebraska’s best edge pass rushers, too.

After three seasons of waiting and several position moves, everything is falling into place. Gifford can’t suppress his excitement.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Gifford said. “I’ve wanted to do it my whole life, and I’m ready for it.”

• Fire 2

Chris Weber and Dedrick Young have staked their spots as starters at inside linebacker, but Bray said there will be a rotation to get other players in. That includes sophomore Mohamed Barry.

"Mo's going to be a part of the game, and he's going to help and he's going to play and he's going to be a big impact for us," Bray said. "We've got ways how we're going to rotate those guys to make sure we get guys on the field and that we're always fresh so we can play at that maximum effort."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/rapid-reaction-stille-receives-praise-from-diaco-barry-s-role/article_106bed78-81db-11e7-bc58-eb9c66b9d173.html

• Fire 1