BTN Bus tour to visit Nebraska on 8/15!

Hard to not be excited after hearing everything in the last 24 hours.  I do try to Keep in mind the network gets paid to generate views and their opinions are generally positive everywhere they go-  But reading between the lines I really do think they were impressed with what they saw.   

Dinardo on 1620 Game Time:

(asked about Lee)

"What I like the most about him is ... BALL PLACEMENT.  (this is a little bit of a lost art in college football)"

[...]

"I knew I was gonna watch a good quarterback, (cause everybody couldn't be wrong).  What I appreciated most was his ball placement, cause I watch a lot of quarterbacks at these practices, and there are not a lot of good drop-back quarterbacks in college football because of the spread."

• Plus1 2

Dinardo on 1620 Game Time:

(asked about Diaco)

"I saw him when he was at Notre Dame, so I knew the kind of coach he was.  He's very likeable.  He's a little guarded with us, you know?  I mean, some coaches think they have the nuclear codes, and Bob's like that.  He was guarded with us, but his energy's terrific."

• Plus1 3

Dinardo on 1620:

(asked about whether Riley is going to just "air it out" in this offense)

"No.  And it's not what he wants to do.  He's said on our show (and not everything we taped aired), he said 'we don't want to get enamored with the pass game'  He said we've studied all 65 Big Ten games, (or whatever number it was) and said it was clear to us the champion of the Big Ten has to run the ball, and have the fewest turnovers.

Now, if they DO throw it that many times, its because they can't run it, but that's not what they want to do."

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, IA State Husker said:

Dinardo on 1620:

"No.  And it's not what he wants to do.  He's said on our show (and not everything we taped aired), he said 'we don't want to get enamored with the pass game'  He said we've studied all 65 Big Ten games, (or whatever number it was) and said it was clear to us the champion of the Big Ten has to run the ball, and have the fewest turnovers.

Now, if they DO throw it that many times, its because they can't run it, but that's not what they want to do."

Try telling that to some on our board they will think you are a pea brain

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, IA State Husker said:

Dinardo on 1620:

That makes sense, right?  Teams will always try to eliminate the run game, force you to throw.  Now if the passing game improves quite a bit, then the crummy run game will open back up.  Will be important to not abandon it. 

You have to be able to do both in the redzone if you want to get touchdowns.

11 minutes ago, admo said:

That makes sense, right?  Teams will always try to eliminate the run game, force you to throw.  Now if the passing game improves quite a bit, then the crummy run game will open back up.  Will be important to not abandon it. 

You have to be able to do both in the redzone if you want to get touchdowns.

Yup.  I have a feeling Langs is going to suddenly look really smart this year.  Same with the O-line.

• Plus1 4

This is exactly what we want to be hearing out of fall camp headed into year 3. The big question as always is will it translate to the field?

We need to beat Wisconsin this year, preferably by a good margin. Same goes for Iowa. if we found a way to smack those teams around the season will have given us some hope for this staff. I don't really care about the cross over games at this point. We should have the talent to dominate the West, if Riley can't do it with these guys I'm not sure he will ever be able to. Year 3 is typically a telling season as far as direction and I think a good goal for this team would be to go perfect against the west. It won't be easy but I do think this team is capable. 

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is exactly what we want to be hearing out of fall camp headed into year 3. The big question as always is will it translate to the field?

We need to beat Wisconsin this year, preferably by a good margin. Same goes for Iowa. if we found a way to smack those teams around the season will have given us some hope for this staff. I don't really care about the cross over games at this point. We should have the talent to dominate the West, if Riley can't do it with these guys I'm not sure he will ever be able to. Year 3 is typically a telling season as far as direction and I think a good goal for this team would be to go perfect against the west. It won't be easy but I do think this team is capable. 

I don't think we need to beat Iowa or Wisconsin by any said margins other than just beating them. In a couple years it would be nice to blow them out once in a while, but for now lets not get ahead of ourselves here and just win those games(Although we could blow out Iowa if I had to pick a blowout b/w those two). I expect us to go unbeaten in the west and if Tanner Lee stays healthy all year that may very well happen. Winning the games we should win and get one win out of OSU/PSU and oregon and going 10-2 is the best case scenario in my mind. This would also put us in the CCG against the best of the East.

Basically we have lots of good talent on the field with not a ton of experience at certain spots. If those guys step up and make plays it will be a good year, but if they don't... we shall see but I am cautiously optimistic about this year.

I think for the first time in a very long time we have a team that truly believes in each other.  Still think we maybe a couple of years away from what some seem to think will happen this year.  Depth and experience is still needed, but I hopeful that it will happen this year.  Really want to see Coach Riley make this his place.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, yort2000 said:

Funny that they used quotes on that, because I re-watched and he did not say that.  His exact quote was:  "For me, this was the best practice since we've been covering them, in my opinion."  And Gerry interjected "both staffs".

Howard said both at different times. Go through the Nebraska camp videos for BTN on youtube and you'll find it - I'm too lazy to go through and find it again.

• Plus1 2

Lee seems to be getting a lot of love in the preseason.  I read an article on yahoo a couple of days ago that said Lee is projected to be the fourth QB taken in the draft if he chooses to go.  They were also comparing this years draft class to the 83' QB draft class and saying it could be even better. 

• Plus1 1