Where to get your news

vonn-headline.png?w=831&crop=0,0px,100,4

American skiing star Lindsey Vonn has withdrawn from her Sunday events at the World Cup in Switzerland after suffering a back injury during a super-G race on Saturday.

The injury occurred two days after she criticized President Donald Trump in an interview about the upcoming Winter Olympics in South Korea.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/12/10/lindsey-vonn-suffers-back-injury-in-world-cup-race.html

Delete your website.

• Plus1 3

^^^^They seem to be making it sound like the injury happened because of the comments.  Maybe they should call for an investigation that an American citizen was faced with violence after practicing her 1st Amendment rights.

LOCK HIM UP!!!!

oh nevermind, Trump's on the "right" side....

Edited by funhusker

Oh, they're well aware that this wasn't causation, I think. The reason for the connection is "lol, karma", in the same way we might look at an awful, say, child predator, and go "haha, something unrelatedly bad happened to them." 

The issue here is what Fox has identified as the crime: speaking out against Trump. And also, that they're not wrong about what their readers get up for.

• 2 months later...

I think this is a real good thing. PBS is coming out wt a conservative political talk show.  I suspect it will be more balanced

than what we currently see on TV.   I don't know Amy Holmes but I have enjoyed reading many of Michael Gerson's opeds and

think he is a pretty well balanced, insightful, non-kool aid drinking conservative writer. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/pbs-launching-new-conservative-political-talk-show/

Columnist Michael Gerson and commentator Amy Holmes are teaming to start a conservative-oriented talk show on PBS that takes its cue from William F. Buckley’s “Firing Line,” which aired from 1966 to 1999.

The new show, “In Principle,” will air Friday nights starting April 13. PBS will decide after an eight-week run whether to continue.

“I find when I go around the country that there is actually a hunger for serious, civil dialogue as an alternative to the bitterness of our civic discourse,” Gerson said.

Gerson is known to the PBS audience as a frequent guest on “NewsHour.” Holmes worked on MSNBC and on Glenn Beck’s media company, The Blaze.

Although the show is beginning at a time of Republican dominance in both the White House and Congress, Gerson has often found himself at odds with President Donald Trump. He said Holmes more often takes the president’s side, or acts as the “anti-anti-Trump.”

“I think the Trump era has been a very difficult time for traditional conservative discourse,” he said. “I think a lot of institutions and places have been co-opted in this era. I view conservatism not only as a belief but a state of mind, a respect for tradition but also a respect for facts.”

• Plus1 1

There is something harmful I think about how we always (even the general public, and even liberals) look at left-leaning (or even not very left-leaning) outlets and think, gosh, it's too tilted and then look at explicitly conservative advocacy and think now this is balance. It's the impulse that is at the heart of the cluster that has been the NYT editorial page recently. Like, finally, there's going to be conservative voices with a megaphone? 

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, TGHusker said:

I think this is a real good thing. PBS is coming out wt a conservative political talk show.  I suspect it will be more balanced

than what we currently see on TV.   I don't know Amy Holmes but I have enjoyed reading many of Michael Gerson's opeds and

think he is a pretty well balanced, insightful, non-kool aid drinking conservative writer. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/pbs-launching-new-conservative-political-talk-show/

An increase in intelligent political discourse is always a good thing. With the rise in sensationalism, antagonism, and the alt-right it will be a breath of fresh air to see some intellectual discussion involving true conservatives. 

Edited by Danimal
6 hours ago, Danimal said:

An increase in intelligent political discourse is always a good thing. With the rise in sensationalism, antagonism, and the alt-right it will be a breath of fresh air to see some intellectual discussion involving true conservatives. 

Amen - well stated.

6 hours ago, Danimal said:

True conservatism is an underserved market right now. All conservatives aren't Trump Republicans, at least (anecdotally) most of the conservatives I know personally.  There are a lot of people who espouse typical conservative views on government spending, balancing the budget, limited social spending, strong military, etc., but who don't want all the illegals deported and would support reasonable gun laws.  Those people are in need of a source that isn't Fox News, et al, and this is great.

So, I don't know how many of you regularly check the 'Trending' area of Facebook to see what news stories are making the rounds, but this stood out to me as an odd (yet seemingly typical) example of how Fox News conducts themselves.

It's unsurprising how they took it upon themselves to add a little bit of color to the headline. Of all the things to make the lead of an article, they chose grammar over message. FWIW, I looked up the writer on Twitter and she calls herself a "Breaking News Producer."

Interesting.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 12.49.47 PM.png

• Plus1 2

I do appreciate that functionality on Facebook, if I'm honest. It'll make a news outlet look like an asshat if they decide to take some liberties with a headline or a story. A Fox News advocate is unlikely to be moved by this (if anything, they'll applaud the headline, even though it's the same kind of stuff they often decry as "Fake News") but it'll serve as an immediate checkpoint for people trying to determine which article they want to read.

I hate that I gave them a click, though, just because I wanted to see what idiotic direction they took it.

• Plus1 1

Not sure where this best fits, but the recent discussions here had me looking deeper into how I communicate.  Thought this was an excellent overview, and I'm going to try and be better.

"You know you’re in the presence of a thought-provoking argument and not a troll when you don’t flinch, and instantly parry as if being lanced. Instead, you reflect."

• Plus1 1