Benning on Banker

Hindsight is 20/20, but Riley trusted the coaches he brought with him. It may have been a stroke of naivety in regards to someone like Banker, or perhaps he trusted Banker to do a better job than he was doing. It's difficult to speculate.

the guy was getting run off the field by big sky conference teams and he had worked with him for years he knows what he's capable of.

You are correct. There is no hindsight, MR worked with Banker for years. It says a lot about MR that he brought Banker to Lincoln.
It says that Riley took the easy way out and brought along his friend and gave him a nice retirement gift by doubling his salary at NU. Yes, Riley was being a nice guy, which nobody has disagreed with, but it wasn't the right football decision at the time. I don't get how he is then praised by firing Banker 2 years later.

That's really imaginative to say Riley took the easy way out. It's much more fair to call into question his judgment about who would make a good DC. But, on balance, Riley's coaching decisions seem promising to me. If he had some poor initial ideas (Banker and Read seem notable among them), he's either chosen to or been convinced to give them a very short leash here and then moved on.

I'm pretty high on both the kinds of coaches Riley is able to draw here and his judgment in assembling a staff.

• Fire 2

Hindsight is 20/20, but Riley trusted the coaches he brought with him. It may have been a stroke of naivety in regards to someone like Banker, or perhaps he trusted Banker to do a better job than he was doing. It's difficult to speculate.

the guy was getting run off the field by big sky conference teams and he had worked with him for years he knows what he's capable of.

You are correct. There is no hindsight, MR worked with Banker for years. It says a lot about MR that he brought Banker to Lincoln.
It says that Riley took the easy way out and brought along his friend and gave him a nice retirement gift by doubling his salary at NU. Yes, Riley was being a nice guy, which nobody has disagreed with, but it wasn't the right football decision at the time. I don't get how he is then praised by firing Banker 2 years later.

Hiring a coach you are familiar with in a longstanding way and taking the easy way out are two different things. He could have easily retained Banker and made no changes, would you have preferred that?

Jeebus, have some perspective.

• Fire 2

He's praised because people are comparing him to Pelini and Callahan, which wouldn't fire their friends unless forced, and continued to hire either friends or yes-men.

• Fire 2

So far i can't find fault with MR. He's done everything he could for this program. The first year if he had benched TA, it would have caused mutiny in the program, plus no one better to replace him. Even year 2 brought with it some guys not buying in! Now our hands should be washed from the cancer that had infected us. It took him awhile to figure out why WW left but he did and fixed that. He got 9wins last year from a 7win team! I'm still very much in his corner. I understand why the vegas dudes have us at 7.5 wins, were a total unknown. Maybe you can ask them why it took less then 48 hours to jump them from 6wins to 7.5?

• Fire 1

So far i can't find fault with MR. He's done everything he could for this program. The first year if he had benched TA, it would have caused mutiny in the program, plus no one better to replace him. Even year 2 brought with it some guys not buying in! Now our hands should be washed from the cancer that had infected us. It took him awhile to figure out why WW left but he did and fixed that. He got 9wins last year from a 7win team! I'm still very much in his corner. I understand why the vegas dudes have us at 7.5 wins, were a total unknown. Maybe you can ask them why it took less then 48 hours to jump them from 6wins to 7.5?

Because husked fans stated betting

I find plenty of fault with MR. NU should never have a losing season. Since 1962, excluding 2004-2007, and prior to MR, the Huskers have 3 seasons with less than 9 wins, and zero losing seasons. MR inherited a team with seven consecutive seasons of at least 9 wins, and 3 CCG appearances. We were told that MR was here to win championships immediately, not to rebuild. There is no excuse for bringing weak coaches from OSU, then firing them after one or two seasons. We were also told that NU had the money to hire top assistants. Lets hope our new DC can work wonders this year. Too bad we lost our top player on the secondary.

• Fire 3

Because husked fans stated betting

When husked fans talk, Vegas listens

Any CEO or coach knows you have to surround yourself with smarter people. I think MR is doing that. He's getting top recruitors and a dc who is viewed as a top notch coach. He's making the right moves and has the program headed in the right direction. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch and from things I've heard we've had at least one on each side of the ball. They are both gone now so it will be interesting to see how this hear plays out. I'm positive everyone will see lots of improvement

• Fire 1

better late than never is all i can see...........

I find plenty of fault with MR. NU should never have a losing season. Since 1962, excluding 2004-2007, and prior to MR, the Huskers have 3 seasons with less than 9 wins, and zero losing seasons. MR inherited a team with seven consecutive seasons of at least 9 wins, and 3 CCG appearances. We were told that MR was here to win championships immediately, not to rebuild. There is no excuse for bringing weak coaches from OSU, then firing them after one or two seasons. We were also told that NU had the money to hire top assistants. Lets hope our new DC can work wonders this year. Too bad we lost our top player on the secondary.

I remember Ed O. was available as a potential DC, but no way were we getting him. Mike Riley probably didn't have a lot of time to contact him or he heard he was LSU bound. Daico was just now a HC or in his second year so we weren't getting him. It was a while ago so I am not sure who he would have brought in. The only guy I could think of bringing in was Greg Robinson, but he retired. Although you could make an argument he would have been here only two years, then retired, and after that we still would be bringing in Diaco.

I think you are missing just how bad recruiting had been in the 4 years previous to MR coming to Nebraska. The cupboard was quite bare. Regardless of inheriting teams that had been 9 win teams everyone who cleared out on Bo's last year really blanked out the talent level and since there had been so many misses on the recruiting front and so many transfers/dismissals...we really had no players to fill in the holes.

It's good to write your own narrative on how things were/are...but really, you need to look less at 40 thousand feet and more at 0 feet when examining this sort of thing.

This is astutely observed.

I tend to think that Riley let Banker go, mostly, because he made the decision to switch to the 3-4 and he knew Banker was just not a good 3-4 coach and perhaps Banker didn't want to try to make the change as well. Yes, Riley stated clearly that the last several beatings were a major impetus in wanting to make some substantial change defensively. Riley also said he always liked the 3-4 concept and even used it in the rather distant past (before Banker). In other words, Banker is gone, not so much because he did such a bad job, but more because Riley wanted a great coordinator in the new schemes he wants to implement.

We haven't won as many games as Riley would like, certainly and not all of the losses can be assigned to the defense. Indeed, one can make a case that the defense has played overall as well as the offense on balance as both units have had their share of ups and downs the first two years of Riley. I do believe Riley is doing his very best and to this point we have seen nothing to suggest he will do awnything other than continue to represent our school and entire state with dignity and honor and good sportsmanship. Those are, for me, the most important. We can be proud of our team and its coaches for doing things the 'right way' in these not so right times. Society and our culture has more than enough of the not so good goings on. I'd much rather strive to win the right way than win without doing so within the rules and ethics we all know are correct.

I don't think Riley will lie, cheat, steal or subvert the rules or otherwise. He won't treat his friends, co-workers or anyone else wrongly. I don't think I could confidently say these things about some of our coaches over the years but who knows - some may have had better reputations than they deserved or vice versa. I hope he treats his players with respect, openly and honestly and recruits the very same way. In the end, doing things the right way will pay off

In the end, I think these fan expectations remain very high and hopefully never change.