B1G Replaces SEC as Most Overrated Conference

Honestly asking opinions here, which is better? Personally I think B1G wins both.

B1G West - SEC East

B1G East - SEC West

Going off last year, it is hard to say with the B1G west, we took it on the chin from head to head from Tennessee and Florida.

Except Wisconsin would be compared to Florida.

Head to Head by division standings would be as following:

Wisconsin vs. Florida

Iowa vs. Tennessee

Nebraska vs. Georgia

Minnesota vs. Kentucky

Northwestern vs. South Carolina

Illinois vs. Vanderbilt

Purdue vs. Missouri

Looking at those matchups, I think the only game I'm confident in saying the BIG West would win would be the Wiscy game. Now I don't know much about the SEC East but just going off program reputation its hard to see the BIG winning any of those other games.

Wisky - easy

Tennessee – This is oh so close because Tennessee can’t stop the run. It would be a shootout

Nebraska – Georgia survived a lot to get the wins they did and they can’t stop yolo bombs (See Tenn.)

Minnesota – Kentucky beat Louisville and that is the only credential holding them together.

Northwestern – NW squeezes these kind of games out after their slow start

Vandy – At least they have a pulse…

Mizzou – This game would be more exciting than the Vandy/Illini game, but I think Mizzou would sneak by

In order to bring balance in the conference and also take us to the big stage as a conference. There is very few programs in the west able to do it. Maybe only Wisky.

The B1G as a whole could care less if we start finishing towards the bottom if Wisconsin continues to be the crown jewel of the West and say Minnesota starts contending for the conference title. As long as 2-3 teams control each division every year the balance is there.

In order to bring balance in the conference and also take us to the big stage as a conference. There is very few programs in the west able to do it. Maybe only Wisky.

The B1G as a whole could care less if we start finishing towards the bottom if Wisconsin continues to be the crown jewel of the West and say Minnesota starts contending for the conference title. As long as 2-3 teams control each division every year the balance is there.

Disagree, not what I hear around me. The Buckeye and Wolverine fans I am around long for it. It is one of the reasons they wanted us outside of money. Without it we are just like the SEC. My point is nobody else in the west sands Wisky is capable of it. If Minny gets hot under Fleck, he will move on quickly.

• Fire 1

I dunno man, i would rather see a blue blood Nebraska get highlights then Minnesota, it matters. What will the nation prefer to watch, a Nebraska vs east champ, or Minnesota vs east champ. It's same in pro sports, yankees vs x or Marlins vs x. It also matters during the season, you want those programs to perform well,then the perception is always of a healthy conference and that get's you into the playoff unlike that certain 12-2 conference.

• Fire 2

Would it be more profitable for thr Big Ten if Nebraska was top dog in the West? Sure, more than likely.

But if Wiscy or Minny stepped up and won the league and started beating other conference champs thr higher ups would be just as happy.

Yea technically, they would not be crying. But it's just not the same, Wiscy sure, they have pretty much established their brand and identity in the new millennium, Minnesota, not really. Look at it this way, When I see LSU, Gumps, even Georgia do well I get a vibe of a stronger conference in the sec, if I see South Carolina,Arkansas or kentucky at the top I get a vibe that something is not quite right as those teams will come and go and that there must be something wrong with their top programs and that the conference is down. Matter of perception on why one may prefer flagships doing well rather then others in the league. Now if Minnie won the national championship(a sentence likely never to be written again), yes they would be happy. And in the end yes money talks, bigger storied teams draw better attendance and tv ratings.

• Fire 1

Would it be more profitable for thr Big Ten if Nebraska was top dog in the West? Sure, more than likely.

But if Wiscy or Minny stepped up and won the league and started beating other conference champs thr higher ups would be just as happy.

I am not just talking about the higher ups, I am talking about perception. That is what this is really all about is perception. Again, I live in Ohio. These people want Nebraska back. My Wolverine friends, who are much like Husker fans, want Nebraska back. What I have heard them say is if the Blue Bloods all become Blue Bloods (Michigan, tOSU, PSU and Nebraska) The B1G will reign supreme. I think Michiganball is jiving with me on this item. I understand where are are coming from, I just see it a little differetnly. I think it is about National perception. And a Dominate Husker team, I can live with that! :)

• Fire 2

How are you coming up with the list of OSU, Mich and PSU?

OK...I understand OSU.

But, the conference championships have gone:

16 - PSU

15 - MSU

14 - OSU

13 - MSU

12 - Wisc

11 - Wisc

Why is all of a sudden PSU viewed as this world beater when they have won one conference championship but MSU and Wisc aren't after winning two each?

How is Michigan all of a sudden in this amazing level of football? What have they won?

Michigan State is not a blueblood and went 3-9 last year. They've been massively overachieving given their pedigree and talent on the roster, and it's more likely they're regressing towards their mean than having a blip in continued elite success. It's not a statement of incontrovertible fact, it's just a (fairly safe, I think) assumption.

Wisconsin, by nature of their philosophy, will never be as dominant or as elite as most other programs. They had a very good season last year, but again, do not have the pedigree and history of sustained success that PSU/Mich have, and lost every game against a ranked opponent (by end of season rankings) except for their opener against LSU. Again, they are a very good football team, but they are not a stalwart of the elite pinnacle of the conference, either through on the field results or through perception, or both.

Michigan has had two back to back top-10 seasons, and out of their six losses, five of them were by a combined 16 points. Last year they beat #7 Penn State, #9 Wisconsin, #15 Colorado, lost by 3 to #6 Ohio State, and lost by 1 to #8 Florida State.

• Fire 1