Mavric

Fall Camp Updates - Running Backs

suh_fan93    1,113

Glad to hear Bradley is doing well! Begs the question, why is there no clear cut #1 that is a veteran?

Because Danny Langsdorf.

The Dude    6,624

Glad to hear Bradley is doing well! Begs the question, why is there no clear cut #1 that is a veteran?

Because Danny Langsdorf.

Can you expand on that?

suh_fan93    1,113

Because Danny Langsdorf.

Can you expand on that?

Because Danny Langsdorf.

BigRedBuster    7,661

Ummm.....maybe because our starter graduated.

Gee....I thought it was the prevailing opinion that the fans wanted competition on fall camp for positions.

Who knew they really are supposed to have true number ones by now?

teachercd    3,060

Because Danny Langsdorf.

Can you expand on that?

Because Danny Langsdorf.

Oh my god! This is AMAZING!

Well done!

Hilltop    137

I love that there is good competition for starting positions in the fall- pushing all to get better. Nice to hear our rookie is hanging with the experienced guys- maybe more upside? With the depth we have at the position I think we institute a new rule- running back fumbles= 1 game suspension lol.

Mavric    9,747

Nebraska has its four scholarship backs — Tre Bryant, Devine Ozigbo, Mikale Wilbon and Jaylin Bradley — clustered. Bradley, the freshman from Bellevue West, fits in well. He caught coach Mike Riley’s eye Day 1, and in a drill, you could see Riley watching, and approving. Bradley catches the ball without hesitation or trouble. Bradley’s ball security skills will be tested. Most improved over the summer? Ozigbo. He’s returned to the trimmer back we saw as a freshman, and he may be NU’s best pure draw play guy. He doesn’t fumble, and he’s spry in open space. He needs a little room to operate. Tre Bryant may be the No. 1 guy for now, and he runs tough between the tackles.

OWH

seaofred92    1,306

Its just my opinion, but if there isn't much separation between the backs you might as well redshirt Bradley right? No point in playing him 3-5 snaps a game and wasting his freshman season. Kid has a ton of talent, but there are 3 other backs that are going to get more carries than he is.

RedDenver    1,548

Its just my opinion, but if there isn't much separation between the backs you might as well redshirt Bradley right? No point in playing him 3-5 snaps a game and wasting his freshman season. Kid has a ton of talent, but there are 3 other backs that are going to get more carries than he is.

Unless he's a special teams starter

I like the stable we have, a true 1 will emerge.

Who do you think it will be? I would like it to OZ. But it might be Bryant. Not sure Wilbon has the focus yet. I haven't had the pleasure of watching Bradley yet, but Benning loves him, at least in HS>

Redux    5,378

I like the stable we have, a true 1 will emerge.

Who do you think it will be? I would like it to OZ. But it might be Bryant. Not sure Wilbon has the focus yet. I haven't had the pleasure of watching Bradley yet, but Benning loves him, at least in HS>

I feel like Bryant gets it but if Oz has truly cut weight it could be him.

Mavric    9,747

I don't think it will be Oz. He is solid but not spectacular.

Thinking it will be Bryant unless Wilbon really gets things figured out. Wilbon will get his chances and Oz will get a few carries here and there.

Enhance    3,317

I imagine you'd want to take a similar approach like the program did with Burkhead in '09 if, in fact, Bradley can play to that level so early.

Redux    5,378

I see Oz taking the Imani Cross roll in the end. Bryant showed too much potential early, it has to be him. I just get the feeling Wilbon ends up a consistent #2.

deedsker    313

I see Oz taking the Imani Cross roll in the end. Bryant showed too much potential early, it has to be him. I just get the feeling Wilbon ends up a consistent #2.

Wilbon is also the favorite back to set up the swing pass in the flat. I swear he got brought in only to run that one play multiple time last year. Not sure they trust him as a runner yet.

zoogs    6,228

Does Jaylin redshirt? There are a couple of good walk-ons behind the top three and if we don't have a RB in this class, this seems wise.

ColoradoHusk    3,795

If Bradley can help in any matter I think you play him. Even if that is just special teams. I'm not a fan of redshirts unless it's a lineman.

Especially if the skill level guy is any good, there is a good chance he goes to the NFL before his 5th year at the program. I'm not saying Bradley is that caliber of player, but if he breaks out in his 3rd or 4th year in the program, there is a good chance of him going to the NFL anyway.

ColoradoHusk    3,795

Because Danny Langsdorf.

Can you expand on that?

Because Danny Langsdorf.

Oh my god! This is AMAZING!

Well done!

I agree. That might be the best post ever.

zoogs    6,228

They're not coming out and saying it, but Tre Bryant has the strong inside track here -- and it's because he's likely to supplant the other veteran who's logged lots of PT, Devine Ozigbo. Credit to Tre.

And it's because a senior RB and feature back graduated. So.

(This is in response to why there isn't an established veteran. Because 2/3 split the role and they're competing.)

Redux    5,378

They're not coming out and saying it, but Tre Bryant has the strong inside track here -- and it's because he's likely to supplant the other veteran who's logged lots of PT, Devine Ozigbo. Credit to Tre.And it's because a senior RB and feature back graduated. So.

And it's not like Newby..... (looks around for BlitzFirst)....left big shoes to fill.

Edison's Enemy    448

I think Bradley gets a lot more carries than people expect this year. The kid is lightning quick; he hits the whole faster than a rabbit.

Coach Power'T    1,327

I think Bradley gets a lot more carries than people expect this year. The kid is lightning quick; he hits the whole faster than a rabbit.

Seems like a waste with a stable of backs that are equally as capable. Why waste the year? Like someone else said. 3-5 carries a game isn't worth burning a redshirt

Edison's Enemy    448

Seems like a waste with a stable of backs that are equally as capable. Why waste the year? Like someone else said. 3-5 carries a game isn't worth burning a redshirt
Perhaps I should have said a lot more touches. He could be really effective catching the ball out of the backfield too. A wheel route here, a HB screen there.

MyBloodIsRed16    198

They're not coming out and saying it, but Tre Bryant has the strong inside track here -- and it's because he's likely to supplant the other veteran who's logged lots of PT, Devine Ozigbo. Credit to Tre.And it's because a senior RB and feature back graduated. So.

And it's not like Newby..... (looks around for BlitzFirst)....left big shoes to fill.
did he even leave shoes

Redux    5,378

did he even leave shoes

As starter, yes he did. They were knockoffs though.

deedsker    313

did he even leave shoes

As starter, yes he did. They were knockoffs though.

Knockoffs...like they got knocked off...cuz he can't hold onto them...😛

zoogs    6,228

Newby was a solid if unspectacular (and really durable) back during all four years here. His starting years were in an offense that moved away from running the ball. He gets a bit of a bad rap.

Redux    5,378

Newby was a solid if unspectacular (and really durable) back during all four years here. His starting years were in an offense that moved away from running the ball. He gets a bit of a bad rap.

I'm not gonna knock the kid, he gave his all. And to be fair we were spoiled by Helu, Burkhead and Abdullah. Newby was screwed unless he won the Heisman.

That said, his ceiling was just always going to be lower. He was never gonna be the guy that carried the team. He was a good player, sometimes even great. But we needed an elite RB to make up for the other shortcomings.

MyBloodIsRed16    198

I'm not gonna knock the kid, he gave his all. And to be fair we were spoiled by Helu, Burkhead and Abdullah. Newby was screwed unless he won the Heisman.

That said, his ceiling was just always going to be lower. He was never gonna be the guy that carried the team. He was a good player, sometimes even great. But we needed an elite RB to make up for the other shortcomings.

Spoiled by guys who could read blocks and break tackles. Fortunately two of the returning backs do that better than Newby did. They may lack his speed but I feel we have more complete backs now taking carries

84HuskerLaw    517

Based on what we've seen so far in games, I would start Ozigbo over the others and I like the Mazour kid as well but all the backs are very good (I think all of them would have been about the number 4 or 5 I back under Osborne most years and likely would have been recruited walk ons atleast. From all the latest reports, the team is in much better physical shape and more ready to go. Just a guess but I would bet the overall team's fitness grade (however they measure it with body fat index, speed, agility, height and weight, etc) is much improved over the past three years. The RBs should be ready to show what they can do and I think all will be better than last year.

84, first post ive read of yours in a long long time due to not being interested in reading a 1000 page novel. Straight to the point and good read, do that from now on please.

Dewiz    1,491

Because Danny Langsdorf.

Can you expand on that?

Because Danny Langsdorf.

635934342878885667-1038223147_spit.gif

alwayshusking    671

I would play Bradley, assuming they are high on him. RB is a spot where guys can play early, and they get nicked up over the course of the season. He could be 2nd string really quickly due to injury.

Most guys that can play don't redshirt at RB. In the last 15 years the only RBs that redshirted were Lester Ward, Collins Okafor, Adam Taylor, and Mikale Wilbon. Wilbon is the only one of those to get a meaningful snap.

Mavric    9,747

Without saying it explicitly, Davis confirmed that Bryant and Wilbon have been the top two backs with Oz and Bradley working behind them.

Enhance    3,317

i like that. We need Wilbon on the field. Homerun threat everytime he touches the ball.

Don't take this the wrong way: is he? What makes you say that?

I'm trying to think of evidence to support that Wilbon is a home run threat and I'm drawing a blank, unless it's in reference to his 40 time (which I don't know, admittedly).

Warrior10    1,905

Without saying it explicitly, Davis confirmed that Bryant and Wilbon have been the top two backs with Oz and Bradley working behind them.

That's how I understood as well.

ColoradoHusk    3,795

That's how I understood as well.

I feel better with Bryant and Wilbon being the top 2 backs. Nothing against Oz, but he doesn't have the big play ability that I prefer. Oz could be a good back to bring in for the 4th quarter to grind out the clock, but I like the most versatile backs in Bryant and Wilbon.

Toe    439

Wilbon is probably the best runner, but that's only like the third-highest priority for an RB for Riley & Langsdorf behind pass protection and catching passes.

GBRFAN    415

Wilbon is probably the best runner, but that's only like the third-highest priority for an RB for Riley & Langsdorf behind pass protection and catching passes.

Not true - All three are important in this offense and probably will come down to 40% running 30% Catching 30% Pass Pro