Fall Camp Updates - Running Backs

Without saying it explicitly, Davis confirmed that Bryant and Wilbon have been the top two backs with Oz and Bradley working behind them.

That's how I understood as well.

I feel better with Bryant and Wilbon being the top 2 backs. Nothing against Oz, but he doesn't have the big play ability that I prefer. Oz could be a good back to bring in for the 4th quarter to grind out the clock, but I like the most versatile backs in Bryant and Wilbon.

• Fire 1

Wilbon is probably the best runner, but that's only like the third-highest priority for an RB for Riley & Langsdorf behind pass protection and catching passes.

Not true - All three are important in this offense and probably will come down to 40% running 30% Catching 30% Pass Pro

• Fire 1

Without saying it explicitly, Davis confirmed that Bryant and Wilbon have been the top two backs with Oz and Bradley working behind them.

I feel better with Bryant and Wilbon being the top 2 backs. Nothing against Oz, but he doesn't have the big play ability that I prefer. Oz could be a good back to bring in for the 4th quarter to grind out the clock, but I like the most versatile backs in Bryant and Wilbon.
this is kinda where I scratch my head at some comments from fans... how they just lump guys like OZ and Imani cross together. I'm pretty sure OZ had just as many "long" runs as Newby last year. Everyone seemed to be so high on Newby but OZ is just a grinder? Anyway I feel better about the rotation this year
  • Fire 1

I would give Ozigbo a slight edge over Imani Cross. Bigger backs with big back speed so nothing overwhelming there. Ozigbo has a little shiftiness but Imani had just a little too. Ozigbo is/could be a good back imo in those slobberknocker games where he could come in and ground and pound on an already (hopefully) tired defense. Goal line situations. If they could develop him into a good blocking back too I think he could be great in that role.

this is kinda where I scratch my head at some comments from fans... how they just lump guys like OZ and Imani cross together. I'm pretty sure OZ had just as many "long" runs as Newby last year. Everyone seemed to be so high on Newby but OZ is just a grinder? Anyway I feel better about the rotation this year
Where am I lumping Oz in with Cross? I never mentioned Cross. Ozigbo will probably have moments where he shines, but I would rather have guys like Wilbon and Bryant out there.

I've always thought of Ziggy as more of a Curtis Martin type. Especially if he's slimmed back down.

Martin happens to be my favorite running back, so obviously I'm pulling for the guy.

Gotta be honest. I had to go youtube Curtis Martin highlights to check this out because in my memory I remembered Martin as being Marshall Faulk like but I was definitely wrong in my memory.

I can see the comparison though. Good spot BR!

I like Ozigbo, but if I got my way because of the type of offense and philosophy I hold, I would prefer Wilbon's body style as my RB. Ziggy is definitely a back I would like on the roster for sure.

• Fire 1

Pretty sure this is not the case. Just looking at their longest run in each game - not perfect but easy to find quickly - Oz had the one long run against Tennessee (42 yards). After that, his longest runs were 17, 16, 15 and 12. In four games his longest run was less than 10 yards.

Newby on the other hand had long runs of 63, 49, 25, 25, 19, 19, 18 and 17. So Newby had 8 games where his longest run was at least as long as Oz's second-best.

Where am I lumping Oz in with Cross? I never mentioned Cross. Ozigbo will probably have moments where he shines, but I would rather have guys like Wilbon and Bryant out there.
didn't necessarily mean you but just that you mention he was a 4th quarter grind out the clock guy.

Pretty sure this is not the case. Just looking at their longest run in each game - not perfect but easy to find quickly - Oz had the one long run against Tennessee (42 yards). After that, his longest runs were 17, 16, 15 and 12. In four games his longest run was less than 10 yards.

Newby on the other hand had long runs of 63, 49, 25, 25, 19, 19, 18 and 17. So Newby had 8 games where his longest run was at least as long as Oz's second-best.

his 63 yrd run came against a not so great Illinois defense and if I recall it correctly he made one guy miss and then just went up the sideline. My point was that if you look at what type of backs they are "supposed" to be then either one is over performing or one underperformed. Just pointing out that OZ has the ability to make big plays and most of the time he was breaking tackles not just running free. I think he has more ability than some would give him credit for.