Fall Camp Updates - Running Backs

Pretty sure after Oregon game we'll know if TB is ready for the top role (for the rest of the season). We know Oz and can depend on him, so that's handy. MW will push Tre (for Newby's role). But that's my guess going into it.

These backs will have to earn more than should have to between the tackles. Out on the edge or with a little wiggle room, they're all more than capable.

Just would like to see more big runs of 25-45 yards because, it's college football 

I take them at their word that the race is a pretty much 'even' and it probably won't matter which one starts, they are all gonna get playing time.  I think we'll see one of them make some plays and get everybody all excited to call him 'the best' but that may not mean he'll be the starter and get the majority of the snaps.   I think all three RBs can handle the great bulk of Riley's offense well (not great but well).  But Riley's offense is not inclined to make a superstar out of the starting RB so these guys need to welcome the chance to contribute and make the most of their opportunities.  The WRs and QB will the 'the star' if Riley's scheme is really clicking as he wants.  It'll be up to the runners themselves to make the big plays and get those extra effort yards that Husker fans look for and crave.  We want those never go down, push the pile, pull away and always fall forward guys.  That is the key to going from average RB to a true Nebraska "I Back".  

We have had some great running backs, but it didn't hurt that we also had some great 0-line players pushing the piles for them. If we have a good o-line this year we will probably have another go to running back that will shine. I think there is one in this bunch, who, i don't think anyone knows yet. I like the Bradley kid. I think he will have to make the most out of his carries, to get more touches with the crowded back field. If he doesn't redshirt.

GBR!!!

I really don't think we've got a back that has stood out enough to be considered head and shoulders above the others. As much as I appreciated Newby's contributions to the team, I'm glad he's gone and we can get a look at the younger guys in his absence.

I'm more of an Ozigbo guy than anything I guess. His blend of size and speed is pretty intriguing to me. Watching a guy his size turn a corner is really fun. But he needs to stay healthy. Bryant offers a great amount of potential and probably is the most versatile of the backs. Obviously in Riley's scheme catching passes as a back is incredibly important.

Overall, going with a hot hand approach is fine. Huskered nailed it - their production is going to be largely OL dependent anyway.

I really don't understand why Bradley is going to play this year. All of these guys come back next year too, if he is really that talented wouldn't you want him to RS this year and save the extra year rather than get 3 carries MAYBE a game come conference season? I obviously haven't seen practice but I find it somewhat hard to believe he brings something we can't get out of Bryant/Ozigbo/Wilbon

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You play Bradley if he has the ability to contribute, and who knows, he could be the best RB on the team.

With skill guys, if they are able to contribute, even on special teams, then I would play them.

I kind of have the same view.  Seems like it would make more sense to save your shirts for linemen.  Generally speaking.  Let them mature physically and get in the weight room.  QBs too since it's such a cerebral position.

RBs can contribute right away and are kind of a dime a dozen in modern ball.

5 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I really don't understand why Bradley is going to play this year. All of these guys come back next year too, if he is really that talented wouldn't you want him to RS this year and save the extra year rather than get 3 carries MAYBE a game come conference season? I obviously haven't seen practice but I find it somewhat hard to believe he brings something we can't get out of Bryant/Ozigbo/Wilbon

Benning said this morning he's playing on ST as the #2 returner, so he's going to be playing other spots than just RB.