Fall Camp Updates - Running Backs

They're not coming out and saying it, but Tre Bryant has the strong inside track here -- and it's because he's likely to supplant the other veteran who's logged lots of PT, Devine Ozigbo. Credit to Tre.And it's because a senior RB and feature back graduated. So.

And it's not like Newby..... (looks around for BlitzFirst)....left big shoes to fill.
did he even leave shoes

They're not coming out and saying it, but Tre Bryant has the strong inside track here -- and it's because he's likely to supplant the other veteran who's logged lots of PT, Devine Ozigbo. Credit to Tre.And it's because a senior RB and feature back graduated. So.

And it's not like Newby..... (looks around for BlitzFirst)....left big shoes to fill.
did he even leave shoes

As starter, yes he did. They were knockoffs though.

did he even leave shoes

As starter, yes he did. They were knockoffs though.

Knockoffs...like they got knocked off...cuz he can't hold onto them...😛

Newby was a solid if unspectacular (and really durable) back during all four years here. His starting years were in an offense that moved away from running the ball. He gets a bit of a bad rap.

I'm not gonna knock the kid, he gave his all. And to be fair we were spoiled by Helu, Burkhead and Abdullah. Newby was screwed unless he won the Heisman.

That said, his ceiling was just always going to be lower. He was never gonna be the guy that carried the team. He was a good player, sometimes even great. But we needed an elite RB to make up for the other shortcomings.

Newby was a solid if unspectacular (and really durable) back during all four years here. His starting years were in an offense that moved away from running the ball. He gets a bit of a bad rap.

I'm not gonna knock the kid, he gave his all. And to be fair we were spoiled by Helu, Burkhead and Abdullah. Newby was screwed unless he won the Heisman.

That said, his ceiling was just always going to be lower. He was never gonna be the guy that carried the team. He was a good player, sometimes even great. But we needed an elite RB to make up for the other shortcomings.

Spoiled by guys who could read blocks and break tackles. Fortunately two of the returning backs do that better than Newby did. They may lack his speed but I feel we have more complete backs now taking carries
  • Fire 1

Based on what we've seen so far in games, I would start Ozigbo over the others and I like the Mazour kid as well but all the backs are very good (I think all of them would have been about the number 4 or 5 I back under Osborne most years and likely would have been recruited walk ons atleast. From all the latest reports, the team is in much better physical shape and more ready to go. Just a guess but I would bet the overall team's fitness grade (however they measure it with body fat index, speed, agility, height and weight, etc) is much improved over the past three years. The RBs should be ready to show what they can do and I think all will be better than last year.

I would play Bradley, assuming they are high on him. RB is a spot where guys can play early, and they get nicked up over the course of the season. He could be 2nd string really quickly due to injury.

Most guys that can play don't redshirt at RB. In the last 15 years the only RBs that redshirted were Lester Ward, Collins Okafor, Adam Taylor, and Mikale Wilbon. Wilbon is the only one of those to get a meaningful snap.

i like that. We need Wilbon on the field. Homerun threat everytime he touches the ball.

Don't take this the wrong way: is he? What makes you say that?

I'm trying to think of evidence to support that Wilbon is a home run threat and I'm drawing a blank, unless it's in reference to his 40 time (which I don't know, admittedly).

• Fire 2