The proverbial "1,000 yard rusher"

I didn't want to hijack the thread about the OL and Cav, but, the 1,000 yard rushing mark was brought up a couple of times. Here's my question...

Does an RB cross some threshold from being average to good when they reach that mark? Does 1,000 yards mean the same thing it did 20 years ago?

What's more important, yards per game or yards per carry?

• Fire 1

A 1000 yd back means 2 things:

1. We have one guy getting the majority of the carries. One guy stands above the rest and earns it, who is reliable and can be in most formations cuz he can block, run, and catch.

2. We are committed to the run. We need one back who carries the ball 190-210 times next year and can get the 4.8-5.1 yes per carry, 90-105 yds per game to have 1000 back. Armstrong was the second leading carrier and 2nd leading yds earner. Having a throwing QB will help that, as we won't rely on the QB taking so many carries.

Does it mean the same as years past if we are 50-50 run/throw? If the yards are meaningful and consistent, yes. If we rack up yards v the weak sisters but can't run against those who matter then, no.

What would mean progress in the run game is if we have a 1200-1350 yd performer at 5.0 ypc or thereabouts. Then we are running in the 4th qtr to close games and dominating the LOS throughout. I personally don't think we'll see that type of production until we recruit and coach better at the OL.

• Fire 2

No 1,000 yard rusher in the Riley era so far and it's highly highly doubtful we will not have one this season either. I think anytime a rb rushes for 1,000 yards one could argue that he is a pretty good running back.

This thread is just another reminder that we are going in the opposite direction as far as having 1,000 yard rushers.

Now we have the possible 1,000 yard receiver to look forward to I guess?

Personally give me a 1,000 yard rusher any day of the week.

Doesn't mean what it did 20 years ago for the simple fact that you used to have to get 1000 yards in 11 games. Now you have 13 (or 14 or 15).

Plus the game is a lot more advantageous towards offenses, and there has been a ton of offensive progression, since then.

• Fire 1

No 1,000 yard rusher in the Riley era so far and it's highly highly doubtful we will not have one this season either. I think anytime a rb rusher for 1,000 yards one could argue that he is a pretty good running back.

This thread is just another reminder that we are going in the opposite direction as far as having 1,000 yard rushers.

Now we have the possible 1,000 yard receiver to look forward to I guess?

Personally give me a 1,000 yard rusher any day of the week.

tenor.gif

• Fire 1

Ameer Abdullah ripped off two consecutive 1600-yard rushing seasons.

That was fun to watch. Those seasons were not.

Our preoccupation with style and stats, and even which kinds of stats to get is fascinating but counterproductive.

I agree that those season's weren't the best as we definitely didn't show up when it came to the games the really mattered. Definitely the theme of the Bo Pelini years. I don't see anything wrong with fans looking into our rushing stats and how we get those yards whether it be by the pass or run though or who is getting those yards for us. We finished 9th last year in rushing and got outrushed overall by some traditionally weak teams in that department to make matters even worse. Husker fans aren't used to that and furthermore that dip I think is definitely a legitimate cause for concern to say the least.

If it's one thing Nebraska has been known for it's running the ball. Finishing 9th in the league is definitely new territory for us and bottom line we need to be/finish better than that.

Yards per game

You can wear out your defense by scoring too quickly

I don't think any head coach or defensive coordinator has been mad with their offense "scoring too early". They want points by their offense. They aren't going to tell a RB or WR to stop at the 20 yard line, so they can hopefully have a few more plays and take a couple more minutes off the clock. The goal for the offense is to score points. The moment the offense changes its goal from scoring points to chewing up clock, the offense loses effectiveness.