The proverbial "1,000 yard rusher"

Lucky's numbers aren't "sick" and he's remembered pretty appropriately around here as a really nice receiving back and an OK rusher, who had it tough because of the expectations he had coming out of HS.

Outside of Brandon Jackson, who spent a year injured and then left early to become a 2nd-round NFL draft pick, the RBs around Lucky's era had 115% (Ross), 142% (Helu), 139% (Burkhead), 192% (AA), and 94% (Newby) of Lucky's career rushing total. And Newby really had only two years of major playtime to Lucky's three. Lucky just isn't all that high in the pantheon of Nebraska runners, but he was a nice APB in a time where Nebraska was thankful to have guys like Cory Ross, Kenny Wilson, Cody Glenn, Brandon Jackson, and Roy Helu in the rotation.

• Fire 2

I'm convinced it's coaching. Under Calahan, who was the RB coach? It doesn't really matter anyway but I think Marlon didn't even come close to his potential. As scouting has advanced and with multiple recruiting sources. Do you think he would have still been a 5 star in the current form of 247 composite?

I don't really remember what he looked like in HS just remember he was a 5 star and that NU was supposed to have its next Heisman winner.

• Fire 1

I'm convinced it's coaching. Under Calahan, who was the RB coach? It doesn't really matter anyway but I think Marlon didn't even come close to his potential. As scouting has advanced and with multiple recruiting sources. Do you think he would have still been a 5 star in the current form of 247 composite?

I don't really remember what he looked like in HS just remember he was a 5 star and that NU was supposed to have its next Heisman winner.

Lucky had great numbers under the worst coach in Husker history (sort of)...in a lame offense. Imagine him playing in a up-tempo spread.

I agree with you, it was the coaching and scheme too.

• Fire 1

Current Washington Redskins RB coach Randy Jordan.

Speaking of AA, by the way:

• Fire 1

Lucky had great numbers under the worst coach in Husker history (sort of)...in a lame offense.
You mean this offense?

Play 1: Lucky up gut for 3 yards

Play 2: Short pass, incomplete OR Lucky to the right kind of for 1 yard

Play 3: Lucky up gut for 2 yards

Play 4: Punt and hope for the best

Lucky had great numbers under the worst coach in Husker history (sort of)...in a lame offense.
You mean this offense?

Play 1: Lucky up gut for 3 yards

Play 2: Short pass, incomplete OR Lucky to the right kind of for 1 yard

Play 3: Lucky up gut for 2 yards

Play 4: Punt and hope for the best

And for that offense you need a 300 page playbook!

• Fire 1

Lucky had the chance to be picked up and better appreciated by coaches at the next level. Including the Omaha Nighthawks, if you could call that next level.

There was nothing to suggest he'd simply been misused at Nebraska.

Lucky played well without adversity, not so much when the going got tough. That's how you break out of the pack, and why Ross, Jackson and Helu were preferable options under similar offenses.