2018 Basketball Recruiting Notes

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-basketball-focuses-on--foot--karrington-davis-in/article_540492b6-4c3c-5245-aa6a-6179009c625e.html

Now Miles, who said at the time “we’re going to need a big guard,’’ apparently has such a prospect in sight.

NU is homing in on 6-6, 175-pound St. Louis product Karrington Davis , who plays for Montverde (Fla.) Academy, the current No. 1 team in USA Today’s national high school rankings.

Davis doesn’t get much publicity because there isn’t much available on a roster with four of ESPN’s top 52 prospects for the Class of 2018.

That includes the overall No. 1 player — 6-6 small forward R.J. Barrett, who has signed with Duke — plus signees with Florida, Gonzaga and Georgia Tech. Four others on the roster, though not ranked in the top 100, have signed with power conference schools.

Before transferring to Montverde (32-0), Davis was part of a large-school Missouri state title team at St. Louis Chaminade in 2016 and a state semifinal squad in 2017, scoring about 20 points a game.

Various recruiting sites indicate Davis has offers from Kansas State, Saint Louis and Middle Tennessee State.

• 3 weeks later...

With Karrington Davis N we now have 13 scholarships for 2018-19. By the way, 13 is the maximum amount you can have on a team.

I believe at least one person will transfer and we could always not renew Tanner's scholarship. I am thinking McVeigh but we can see what happens with him.

Need a grad transfer big man or a big that can sit for a year. I like the small ball lineup and hopefully, Jordy can get that green light but I am not getting my hopes up.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?t=&s=basketball&u=LIONS2722&p=profile&sportsHQ=484527&playerID=460665

Granted it was against worse competition than you'd see at your local YMCA but Wingett shoots the ball pretty well for a kid his size. 

This isn't a shot at Thor by any means but I just don't really see how you give a guy like him a shot at a scholarship but not an athletic wing from NE that shoots like that. Get him in here slap a RS on him and teach him defensive discipline. The tools are there.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?t=&s=basketball&u=LIONS2722&p=profile&sportsHQ=484527&playerID=460665

Granted it was against worse competition than you'd see at your local YMCA but Wingett shoots the ball pretty well for a kid his size. 

This isn't a shot at Thor by any means but I just don't really see how you give a guy like him a shot at a scholarship but not an athletic wing from NE that shoots like that. Get him in here slap a RS on him and teach him defensive discipline. The tools are there.

Johnny was twice the player and he walked-on at Nebraska.   Our state has a long way to go when it comes to DI prospects.  I think Heiman is a big stretch.

16 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Johnny was twice the player and he walked-on at Nebraska.   Our state has a long way to go when it comes to DI prospects.  I think Heiman is a big stretch.

so do I but I am just saying if you're going to waste a scholarship on a random guy from Iceland in the middle of the summer you might as well use it on a Nebraska kid thats a really good athlete

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

so do I but I am just saying if you're going to waste a scholarship on a random guy from Iceland in the middle of the summer you might as well use it on a Nebraska kid thats a really good athlete

That's my point.  Is he a good athlete or does his height make him look better since he's playing in D2?

I watched quite a bit of class B basketball this year, because a buddy's kid plays.   It was painful to watch.  I do now know enough about Thor, but NE basketball is far from great.  

• 2 weeks later...

so with Johnson wavering now where do we turn to fill that spot for next year? It's pretty scary to think about how thin this team is all of a sudden if we lose Palmer and Copeland on top of Johnson. The only other "point guard" besides Watson is Allen and even then Allen is probably better suited playing off the ball. 

Miles is gonna have to really hammer the grad transfer market or find some late gems in the 2018 class. All of a sudden we could be down 4 scholarship guys between McVeigh, Johnson, Palmer, and Copeland and that isn't even including Tshimanga who has to be considered "iffy" to return at best.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, seaofred92 said:

we are in home tomorrow

Sources said NU had a “very good home visit’’ this week with Robert Morris sophomore guard Dachon Burke. The 6-4, 180-pounder was a second-team All-Northeast Conference pick and was a candidate for defensive player of the year.

Burke averaged 17.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists and a league-high 2.1 steals. He would have to sit one year, then have two years of eligibility.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/globetrotting-huskers-line-up-visit-with--foot-argentine-center/article_cdaf884a-560e-5021-acf6-5fe420b7f5f8.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...