Sign in to follow this  
seaofred92

2018 G Xavier Johnson

Washut reached out to him however he never responded (he has previously responded rather quickly to Washut).  Miles is supposedly flying to VA sometime this week to meet with him. 

yeeeeeup this is what I was afraid of with the Kenya news. 

Wouldn't shock me to see him follow Kenya to UConn. Huskies need a PG still in this class and will be focusing heavily on the DMV area for future recruiting- this would give UConn a nice "in" in the area under this new staff. 

If he does decide to leave it will cost him a year of eligibility. The appeal will be denied because it only applies to head coaches getting fired or resigning. Kenya was an assistant so therefore his appeal will most likely not happen. According to the rules, you may leave the NLI but it costs the student a year, we also could potentially not release him from it, but that would be a bad rep on our part.

Not sure what to think here, but something is going on. 

26 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

If he does decide to leave it will cost him a year of eligibility. The appeal will be denied because it only applies to head coaches getting fired or resigning. Kenya was an assistant so therefore his appeal will most likely not happen. According to the rules, you may leave the NLI but it costs the student a year, we also could potentially not release him from it, but that would be a bad rep on our part.

Not sure what to think here, but something is going on. 

we'll let him out of his LOI if he wants out. It isn't worth the PR battle.

Here's a recent somewhat similar example of this: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2018/04/04/east-point-guard-alex-lomax-commits-memphis-play-penny-hardaway-again/448286002/

One of Penny Hardaway's stalwarts during his three state championship runs at East High School became his second commitment in about 12 hours on Wednesday morning.

Point guard Alex Lomax announced via social media on Wednesday morning that he is committed to Memphis, an expected development after Wichita State gave him a release from his national letter of intent last month. 

He joins Hardaway's son, Jayden, as the second member of the Tigers' 2018 recruiting class.  

Latest word is the 3 current coaches will travel to Virginia tomorrow to discuss the situation with Xavier and his family. The fam is concerned the "father figure" (Kenya Hunter) will no longer be there while Miles will try to convince him the atmosphere he liked will still be there.  

Edited by TonyStalloni

I get being upset but this is a combo-guard that would frankly struggle hard to play PG as a freshmen in the TEN...Get a grad transfer and you are fine.

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

I get being upset but this is a combo-guard that would frankly struggle hard to play PG as a freshmen in the TEN...Get a grad transfer and you are fine.

I simply disagree with Xavier struggling right away. Glynn came in and played well in the B1G and somehow now he has regressed a bit.

Anyway, a grad transfer would definitely benefit us. Miles would probably have found a way to put a leash on Xavier and not let him loose. In my opinion, freshman should be let loose to make plays rather than pulling them for one defensive error or a simple mistake. That way as a young player they learn to adjust in-game rather than playing scared that if they make a mistake they might get pulled-Roby his freshman year. 

We are fine with Glynn but man I think Xavier could have been a stud here. 

1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

I simply disagree with Xavier struggling right away. Glynn came in and played well in the B1G and somehow now he has regressed a bit.

Anyway, a grad transfer would definitely benefit us. Miles would probably have found a way to put a leash on Xavier and not let him loose. In my opinion, freshman should be let loose to make plays rather than pulling them for one defensive error or a simple mistake. That way as a young player they learn to adjust in-game rather than playing scared that if they make a mistake they might get pulled-Roby his freshman year. 

We are fine with Glynn but man I think Xavier could have been a stud here. 

Watson was a top 100 recruit...Shoot maybe top 75...X is hardly top 250.  Huge difference in his game and handles.  

How much more damage can the insipid Hurley clan inflict on the Husker basketball program?

6 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

UConn lands their PG... wonder if this helps us

They also got Tarin Smith as well, looks like UConn won't get him unless they want 3 pgs incoming this year.

I know Smith is a transfer but he is still coming in as a newbie so he will only have a year of eligibility remaining.  

24 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

They've made the tourney far more than we ever will but coming off an 8-24 season I'm not really seeing how that's a better situation than here...

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

They've made the tourney far more than we ever will but coming off an 8-24 season I'm not really seeing how that's a better situation than here...

New coach at Pitt, closer to home might come into play now?  Plus...I would imagine at Pitt, since they have no players left, that this guy is a starter from day 1

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

New coach at Pitt, closer to home might come into play now?  Plus...I would imagine at Pitt, since they have no players left, that this guy is a starter from day 1

True, but why be a starter on a team that is going to be horrible when you can get immediate playing time on a decent team and likely start as a sophomore.

6 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

True, but why be a starter on a team that is going to be horrible when you can get immediate playing time on a decent team and likely start as a sophomore.

Yeah, I don't know.  Maybe he was looking for an out?  I don't know...