Bo Pelini & Ma'Lik Richmond

zoogs

16 year old brains are not fully formed. They are neurologically incapable of making decisions with the same level of foresight and consequence weighing.

That is not an apology for this kid raping a woman. That's science.

You don't need science to tell you that diddling someone who's passed out is wrong, violent, and hurtful.

I don't care that 16 year old brains aren't fully formed. Brains aren't fully developed until around 25. The part of your brain that says "don't rape" is developed a hell of a lot earlier.

• Fire 2

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but can understand both sides. I get the message you are sending of ignoring rape and sexual assault if you keep him, but also wouldn't you be sending a message of no second chances for those that have paid their debt to society if you remove him? He is a walk-on. He is not getting a scholarship. Is that a felony in Ohio? So many questions to ponder.

This. The fact he is a walk-on makes me perfectly okay with it. Now if he messes up in the slightest he's off the team. People want to talk about how big of a privilege that is, but walking on and wasting 5+ hours a day on football paying for college yourself? Yikes. I think it's just fine he paid his dues, this was a 16 year old kid who probably feels like crap for doing that everyday in his life. So is everyone just supposed to expect him to be garbage his whole life? This young man has life, prove us people deserve second chances young fella!

I guess my answer to "why not" is because he raped a living human being and my desire for well-wishing and chances granted doesn't go that far.

I wish all of those things for the people he and other such rapists sought to victimize, that they can piece things back together and move on.

I'm much less concerned with him "moving on". Quite the opposite; this isn't something that happened to him. He should have to reckon with it for the remainder of his life. The track you outlined is fine for a lot of crimes; I'm a pretty liberal, "rehabilitate" kind of guy. Whether we view a criminal through this lens or not is a moral statement of our own regarding the nature of the crime committed. Thus I don't believe taking this stance on rapists is possible without sanitizing an act that should not be sanitized.

• Fire 2

I guess my answer to "why not" is because he raped a living human being and my desire for well-wishing and chances granted doesn't go that far.

I wish all of those things for the people he and other such rapists sought to victimize, that they can piece things back together and move on.

I'm much less concerned with him "moving on". Quite the opposite; this isn't something that happened to him. He should have to reckon with it for the remainder of his life. The track you outlined is fine for a lot of crimes; I'm a pretty liberal, "rehabilitate" kind of guy. Whether we view a criminal through this lens or not is a moral statement of our own regarding the nature of the crime committed. Thus I don't believe taking this stance on rapists is possible without sanitizing an act that should not be sanitized.

Excellent post. This pretty much covers my point of view on this as well. :thumbs

• Fire 1

Spot on, zoogs.

The scope of one's forgiveness should only extend so far and rape is not covered under that umbrella. He is more than welcome to continue living his life to the best of his ability because the judicial system gave him that opportunity; however, he is not a victim here.

On 8/10/2017 at 3:33 PM, Landlord of Memorial Stadium said:

16 year old brains are not fully formed. They are neurologically incapable of making decisions with the same level of foresight and consequence weighing.

That is not an apology for this kid raping a woman. That's science.

However, 16-year-olds have been tried as adults in rape cases and sentenced to prison. This will undoubtedly happen again in the future. The blanket statement of "that's science" suggests no room for outliers or variability. It's entirely dependent on an individual's mental make up.

I knew sexual assault was wrong when I was 16. I'm guessing most of us here are in the same boat since we are posting on HB and not sitting in a jail cell.

Certainly didn't do his son any favors. Most of the headlines I've seen say some rendition of the words 'Stuebenville' and 'rapist' when describing what happened, even though it appears the son's crime and the father's crime are unrelated to one another.