Bo Pelini & Ma'Lik Richmond

zoogs

• 4 weeks later...

A former Steubenville (Ohio) High School football player convicted of rape has filed a lawsuit against Youngstown State because of the school’s decision to not allow him to play in games this fall.

Ma’lik Richmond has been practicing with the FCS school this fall. But he’s not allowed to play in games for the team. Wednesday, he alleged in his suit that the school made an arbitrary decision to keep him from playing in 2017 and is fostering an anti-male bias because a petition against his inclusion — a petition that got widespread support — was started by a female student at the school.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steubenville-rapist-practicing-youngstown-st-football-team-sues-school-013422659.html

Interesting turn in the story. 

The sad saga continues. For all my discontent with Bo's irascible nature, this is something I actually never would've figured for him. In retrospect it's not completely surprising. But I also could've seen Bo being someone who never would have recruited a guy like this, or was 100% on board with at minimum the developmental redshirt. He actually said this, from that link:

Pelini’s response when asked about his decision following the game,

“You have to be happy for the kid. This isn’t about me.”

Yes, Bo, you made the convicted rapist happy. In doing so though, how many people though did you anger?

I give you credit Zoogs - I think this is right up Bo's alley.  Not one bit surprising.  

I do think though that this move probably cemented him to a life at Youngstown coaching or working with high school teams.  This sort of move, and then an absolute lack of awareness about it speaks to his judgement, ethics, morals, and will limit his potential.  His "middle finger" to the establishment comments are truly par for the course.

And anger isn't the right word - yeah he angered people, but he showed an absolutely disregard for the law, his school image, he confirmed a lack of respect for women - is this the man you'd want coaching your son?

God, don't you wonder truly what damage he did to our program that's been kept under wraps?  I feel for kids like Gregory who didn't have a coach looking out for him in any way other than what he could get from him on the field.  Disgusting.  

• 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

People make mistakes.  This young man made a big one.  If he's earned an opportunity to play by being a good human being since his screw up, I have no problem with him getting a second chance.  

As for Brenda Tracy.....let's just say she's not as pure as snow.

Young male football player who committed rape - "Hey man, we all make mistakes. Glad he got a second chance, good for him, nobody's perfect."

Young woman who was brutally gang raped - "Oh she's not as perfect or holy as you think, don't take her seriously."

• Plus1 2
On 10/7/2017 at 2:30 PM, southernoregonhusker said:

People make mistakes.  This young man made a big one.  If he's earned an opportunity to play by being a good human being since his screw up, I have no problem with him getting a second chance.  

As for Brenda Tracy.....let's just say she's not as pure as snow.

You do realize how this reads, correct? You're absolving a convicted rapist while criticizing a rape victim.

You should probably never say this in front of real people.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

You do realize how this reads, correct? You're absolving a convicted rapist while criticizing a rape victim.

You should probably never say this in front of real people.

I didn't absolve him at all.  I said if he's been a decent human being since, he should get a second chance.  If you want to read it differently, that's your option.  

On 10/7/2017 at 2:36 PM, Landlord said:

Young male football player who committed rape - "Hey man, we all make mistakes. Glad he got a second chance, good for him, nobody's perfect."

Young woman who was brutally gang raped - "Oh she's not as perfect or holy as you think, don't take her seriously."

Did I say don't take her seriously?  Thanks for puting your spin on my comment and changing it to mean something else.