Bo Pelini & Ma'Lik Richmond

zoogs

One of the nice things to come from Husker fandom for me has been the opportunity to follow dedicated advocate @brendatracy24 on Twitter; this story from Youngstown State caught my eye today:

Really curious when we'd hear more from the other side of the story. Now, Bo has his statement: http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-defends-decision-to-let-steubenville-rapist-m-1797617229

One of the more interesting parts of this to me is that Richmond apparently had no interest in playing football before Bo sought him out. He earned a spot as a walk-on this January. That's a different recruiting story than most, and changes the dynamics of this story.

“Every case is different. You have to listen to their story to see if they are genuine,” Pelini told the Vindicator. “Gosh, when I was [head coach] at Nebraska I got rid of a lot of kids. Some of them weren’t even given a second chance.”

I'm all for second chances, but as Tracy points out, he's already gotten one by being able to attend university. And when it comes to football talent paving the way for opening even further doors, this quickly becomes a really, really uncomfortable thing to read about. I'm sure that all programs are glass houses to one degree or another. The things we do for wins.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but can understand both sides. I get the message you are sending of ignoring rape and sexual assault if you keep him, but also wouldn't you be sending a message of no second chances for those that have paid their debt to society if you remove him? He is a walk-on. He is not getting a scholarship. Is that a felony in Ohio? So many questions to ponder.

• Fire 1

One of the nice things to come from Husker fandom for me has been the opportunity to follow dedicated advocate @brendatracy24 on Twitter; this story from Youngstown State caught my eye today:

Really curious when we'd hear more from the other side of the story. Now, Bo has his statement: http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-defends-decision-to-let-steubenville-rapist-m-1797617229

One of the more interesting parts of this to me is that Richmond apparently had no interest in playing football before Bo sought him out. He earned a spot as a walk-on this January. That's a different recruiting story than most, and changes the dynamics of this story.

“Every case is different. You have to listen to their story to see if they are genuine,” Pelini told the Vindicator. “Gosh, when I was [head coach] at Nebraska I got rid of a lot of kids. Some of them weren’t even given a second chance.”

I'm all for second chances, but as Tracy points out, he's already gotten one by being able to attend university. And when it comes to football talent paving the way for opening even further doors, this quickly becomes a really, really uncomfortable thing to read about. I'm sure that all programs are glass houses to one degree or another. The things we do for wins.

Is he not paying for this? How is that a second chance? He is just a consumer at that point.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but can understand both sides. I get the message you are sending of ignoring rape and sexual assault if you keep him, but also wouldn't you be sending a message of no second chances for those that have paid their debt to society if you remove him? He is a walk-on. He is not getting a scholarship. Is that a felony in Ohio? So many questions to ponder.

Yes. Rape is a felony.

I recommend you read about the case.

• Fire 2

What does "just a consumer" mean? I mean, I think he's lucky just to be on a college campus with that kind of history. That's uncomfortable enough and if I were closer to the situation I'd probably be livid at the schools for allowing this. Also, when and how can a debt of this nature be considered paid to society? I'm not sure I have the answers.

The football thing, fair or not, makes this all the thornier. Sure, it's just as a walk-on, but it's a door that's being opened. The school and the coach have made these efforts to bestow resources and opportunity at least in part because they want what he's got. It feels a bit to me like no matter how questionable your past (up to a threshold that is apparently beyond this), as long as you can play, people will be there to pick you up in life. That's not so much allowing for a second chance as it is going out of the way to offer one. And so, scrutiny on the ones extending their hand.

From society's perspective, I feel it's the survivors who should be rallied around and be given the extra resources and attention -- regardless of their athletic abilities. This feels like that all too familiar refrain where it's the reverse playing out in more ways than one.

• Fire 1

To be fair, I don't really know how to deal with criminals and second chances, especially when it's a crime committed so young. So many layers. We've all heard the second chance argument so many times it's hard not to consider it basically reasonable. But I mean: if the guy murdered someone, I imagine this would be very clear cut for everyone. Why isn't it for rape?

Regardless, I'm fairly sure that if he weren't a football (or other) talent, we wouldn't be asked to contemplate his redemption story to begin with.

• Fire 1

IDK, there doesn't appear to be any clear cut right or wrong in this situation. On one hand rape is a very serious offense and in this specific case he was a juvenile and he has served the punishment the juvenile court handed down. I guess we can question whether this type of crime is ever truly "paid for" but considering there is nothing else he can do to correct his misdeed, I'm leaning towards letting him play while also allowing no leeway whatsoever for any other possible transgressions. If society doesn't think he deserves another chance then society should've locked him up for life. Just IMO.

• Fire 2

The guy raped a girl and posted jokes about it on YouTube. There is a right answer and Pelini picked the wrong one.

Years ago, his high school coach went to bat for him and the other guy who was charged here.

A whole lot of people will have a whole lot of good things to say about your character if you happen to ball well.

• Fire 1

It's definitely a bad look for Pelini, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It's easy to decide what is right or wrong in a specific situation when you're very far removed. Reality is seldom that cut and dry. For all of Bo's faults, and he has many, he definitely loves and cares for the kids he coaches in a way that goes deeper/further than just wanting to exploit their talents for his gain. He's a good guy in that regard. He does also, however, have an inconsistent history with punishments and second chances.

Only other thing I feel comfortable in saying is that everyone in the entire world, regardless of how heinous their offense, deserves a second chance if they truly want it. That doesn't mean that anyone or everyone has to give it to them, though. There's no reason his second chance has to come in the form of being able to play college football.

• Fire 2

I didn't see where he posted jokes about it on YouTube....

It seems his sentence and time served was pretty light for such an offense. I would be for a much harsher punishment that may have precluded him from collegiate football altogether but considering he served the time meted out by the judicial system, not sure it is in anyone's best interest to continue punishing him. Although if he was posting crap about it afterwards and wasn't completely remorseful then f him. Personally I don't care how good of an athlete he is. I would say the justice system may have failed but I also don't know what else he can do at this point.

Those of you saying Pelini made the wrong choice....can this guy ever be treated by like a normal person? Is he still an unemployable, unworthy of anything rapist 25 years from now?

I think the original punishment should've been much harsher but also don't think it is up to those outside the justice system to enact more punishment. But I was also for giving LP another chance....before he proved that was not wise.

• Fire 2

Yes, Bo clearly cares and loves his kids very much. One of them is now this guy, who raped a girl but plays football good. Not among them is the victim. That's what makes this vexing.

@ED, as far as I know he was remorseful, but so are other criminals. Some crimes go beyond the pale. Some things you do and you don't get to reach a "I'll testify for these kids' character" and "I've got some opaque stipulations and he's playing good for us" from consecutive coaches. If rape isn't one of these crimes, it's got to be close, right? If not, what is? And why should we defend or even abide when football coaches scour the talent pool for good players with pasts like this to engineer new lives for?

• Fire 1