Josh Rosen is a dip....

Stanford does okay.

For years and years and years Ivy teams kicked ass and from what I remember when I applied to Harvard (and was accepted) it seemed pretty hard to get in.

But, Rosen is right and I have said it for years...those guys have it a bit more rough than we like to pretend. Now, are the demands stupid? Yes, they are but they are still demands that have to be met.

Now, do football and school "go together" yes, they do, there are lots of students that work a lot or full time and still go to school. So yeah, it goes together. It is just harder.

Stanford does okay.

For years and years and years Ivy teams kicked ass and from what I remember when I applied to Harvard (and was accepted) it seemed pretty hard to get in.

But, Rosen is right and I have said it for years...those guys have it a bit more rough than we like to pretend. Now, are the demands stupid? Yes, they are but they are still demands that have to be met.

Now, do football and school "go together" yes, they do, there are lots of students that work a lot or full time and still go to school. So yeah, it goes together. It is just harder.

Nice humble brag about getting accepted into Harvard ;)

Stanford does okay.

Nice humble brag about getting accepted into Harvard ;)

Well...the process did cost like 100 dollars...I should get something out of it!

Did you read past the headline? I'm curious what your issue with his statements is. They seem incisive and honest.

http://deadspin.com/josh-rosen-gets-brutally-honest-about-the-tension-betwe-1797647745

There's not even that much different here, apart from the headline.

Zoogs, I read it. I just got the impression that he was referencing that they shouldn't have to do both. Like if they play football they shouldn't have to be in class. Maybe I was assuming too much?

I believe that Rosen is right about the demand, it just seemed whiny at heart.

Side note. I wouldn't be apposed to letting scholarship athletes be required to ONLY be half time students until their junior year academically. That way they can kind of get eased into the way it works.

Another side note. The title I used for this sucks....Mods can you change it to something better? :P

I mean, you're going to college (entirely for free) to play football. You have a slim chance of eventually making millions in the NFL, or, a greater chance of walking away with a four year degree and a future. Either way, your life is better than most people in the world.

I get Rosen's point, but as far as I'm concerned, they can deal with it.

He's drawing attention to the fact that the NCAA is a manipulative and greedy organization profiting billions off these kids who have no interest in an education, but no choice to try and make a professional career through playing in college.

He's not wrong.

I agree. NCAA is a good ole boys network that doesn't want to give up anything that they have.

He's drawing attention to the fact that the NCAA is a manipulative and greedy organization profiting billions off these kids who have no interest in an education, but no choice to try and make a professional career through playing in college.

He's not wrong.

I understand what you're saying, but do they have no other choice? Why? Is that the NCAA's fault?

He's not wrong.

I understand what you're saying, but do they have no other choice? Why? Is that the NCAA's fault?

That specifically is more the NFL's fault, manipulating the college game as a de facto free minor league farm system, but the NCAA is happy to control that monopoly, I'd imagine.

I think all Rosen is saying is that the idea of a student-athlete is by and large a farce, and that most of these college players only want to play football, but are forced into having to do it through the college system.

He's not wrong.

Yeah, I think this is really what he's trying to say. There's a serious extent to which we're pretending to ourselves about the "student-athlete" duality in a lot of cases. If we want that model to be more than mythos then there needs to be a stronger commitment to the student part of it. Resources devoted just to keep players eligible? That's not tending to their educational needs.