Bray on His Decision to Stay

Mavric

“There were a number of reasons,” Bray said.

“One was I feel like I have unfinished business here with the kids I brought here. I wanted to finish it with them here because I think we can win a championship here. I believe that and I want to do that.

“But another reason was Coach Diaco.

“I think I can still learn a lot and what I learn now will help me tremendously in the future. It’s another way to do things. I’ve learned a ton from Coach Diaco. It’s made me a better coach.”

Keeping Bray around is solid impact. Adding him to Diaco’s think tank is like having two defensive coordinators. Their collective eyes will be on the four linebackers who make up the biggest puzzle pieces in this 3-4.

That’s probably a season-long transition in most places. But everything about Diaco’s arrival says urgency. He wasn’t hired to win in 2018 or 2019. He was hired to transform the defense now.

OWH

• Fire 2

“There were a number of reasons,” Bray said.

“One was I feel like I have unfinished business here with the kids I brought here. I wanted to finish it with them here because I think we can win a championship here. I believe that and I want to do that.

“But another reason was Coach Diaco.

“I think I can still learn a lot and what I learn now will help me tremendously in the future. It’s another way to do things. I’ve learned a ton from Coach Diaco. It’s made me a better coach.”

Keeping Bray around is solid impact. Adding him to Diaco’s think tank is like having two defensive coordinators. Their collective eyes will be on the four linebackers who make up the biggest puzzle pieces in this 3-4.

That’s probably a season-long transition in most places. But everything about Diaco’s arrival says urgency. He wasn’t hired to win in 2018 or 2019. He was hired to transform the defense now.

OWH

Mav, I think you've stated in the past that you are a fan of bray. How much longer do you think we'll be able to keep him?

• Fire 1

The one season Bray will likely overlap with Diaco (no info, just a guess) will be a great experience for him. I think it's easy to see how Bray would have viewed this as a fantastic learning opportunity and a chance to expand his coaching toolset. He's likely to land coordinator offers elsewhere soon, and unless Diaco leaves right away he won't be getting them here. I wish Bray all the best, hope he goes out and develops as a coach elsewhere, and then maybe comes back someday :)

Bright stars departing the Husker staff as their career opportunities expand is a great sign of a healthy program and good coaching talent.

• Fire 2

I'm guessing not long, though it might depend on how long we keep Diaco.

I would guess he'll do some more looking after this year. If the defense really makes a jump, I'm sure he'll get offers. And I would think it would be hard to pass up the chance to run his own show.

Of course, if the defense really takes a jump, Diaco also might get some offers. And if he were to bolt, perhaps Riley would look at promoting Bray to keep things rolling.

• Fire 2

Or give Diaco a bump and a promise to run the ship when Riley retires

Um...no. I'd rather Diaco cut his teeth as a head coach at another mid-major before seeing him take the reigns of our program as a HC.

Hopefully without trying to concoct another crappy trophy game where the prize gets eschewed by the winning side.

Or give Diaco a bump and a promise to run the ship when Riley retires

Um...no. I'd rather Diaco cut his teeth as a head coach at another mid-major before seeing him take the reigns of our program as a HC.

Hopefully without trying to concoct another crappy trophy game where the prize gets eschewed by the winning side.

Well, that's embarrassing. I hadn't heard of the "Civil Conflict"; I guess for good reason!