Fall Camp Updates - Quarterbacks

Like anything, it's probably not worth overreacting about yet. But during camp, all around the country, coaches make statements that require some reading between the lines. I'm not sure that it's an effort issue, it could be any number of things including Gebbia being really, really good.

I've now read updates from two different writers stating that POB has struggled in fall camp thus far. POB is still young, but he's been here for two spring camps and is now working in his second fall camp. Definitely don't want to hear that he's regressing or not making progress. Especially when the back-up role is essentially falling into his lap. Something to keep an eye on is all I'd say.

The plan is to redshirt Gebbia regardless....he needs to put on 30-40 lbs this offseason.

He'd snap like a twig versus B1G defenses.

sad part is if he puts on 30 pounds he will still be under 200

Even sadder is he'd be the first QB we've had in almost 10 years under 200lbs if so. That's why I don't see him being the #2 guy. He'd get killed.

I think if he got to a solid 190 he would be ok.. I don't know him personally so I don't know how he would handle getting smoked but considering he played for a pretty good HS program he probably didn't take too many hits. He's got a frame he'll just need to get serious about eating and lifting

A lot of you guys are acting like this is the first POB has probably heard this - i'm sure he hears it every day in the QB room that the competition for each spot is ongoing and the battle for 2nd string and 3rd string reps is real.

Also, not real concerned Gebbia's weight - as many pointed out numerous quarterbacks have played below 200.

Today's comments to the media are probably in an effort to light a fire under POB's ass, but the coaches better hope it doesn't piss him off and he decides to transfer. If he were to transfer he would need to do it soon, so he can get to a school, sit out this season, and compete for a job in 2018.

if someone has to light a fire under POB, then he just doesn't have the right stuff........if he walks, he walks. you compete and get better or you suck eggs and ride the pine.

Yea, that's just not true at all.

You're always trying to make sure your players are maximally motivated. Part of the job as coaches. It's a fair challenge, especially when someone's in a situation where you're out of the limelight and it's natural to slacken a little bit. Good for them for staying on him. It's not a real indictment of POB at all -- not yet.

The plan is to redshirt Gebbia regardless....he needs to put on 30-40 lbs this offseason.

He'd snap like a twig versus B1G defenses.

Marc Wilson (BYU then Raiders) was 6'6" but only 205. He missed 17 NFL games from 81 to 83, but only missed 3 games his last 6 years in the NFL. I can't think of any other really skinny NFL QBs.

I'm happy to hear Bunch can hold his own. I'm really glad we brought him in and I think he will help provide solid depth regardless of what happens with POB as the 3rd string guy

I don't want Bunch in charge of our offense. No offense to him, but he's not the caliber you get us to where we need to be.

Today's comments to the media are probably in an effort to light a fire under POB's ass, but the coaches better hope it doesn't piss him off and he decides to transfer. If he were to transfer he would need to do it soon, so he can get to a school, sit out this season, and compete for a job in 2018.

if someone has to light a fire under POB, then he just doesn't have the right stuff.........if he walks, he walks. you compete and get better or you suck eggs and ride the pine.
I see your point, but I also see why POB would be pissed and not trying very hard in practice.

1. Was told during recruiting he would have a chance at competing against Armstrong. That didn't happen.

2. Riley brings in Lee as a transfer late in the '16 cycle, when POB had been committed to NU for a long time.

3. Lee "wins" the job in Spring. I'm not saying it wasn't a true competition, but you know that Lee had a huge leg up being a 5th year junior. Riley wants that experience.

4. POB is now backup, and probably not getting many reps.

This is all true, but why does Patrick need to rush it? You play a year or two behind the big dogs, work your @ss off and grow. That is life. Eventually YOU are the big dog.

if someone has to light a fire under POB, then he just doesn't have the right stuff.........if he walks, he walks. you compete and get better or you suck eggs and ride the pine.
I see your point, but I also see why POB would be pissed and not trying very hard in practice.

1. Was told during recruiting he would have a chance at competing against Armstrong. That didn't happen.

2. Riley brings in Lee as a transfer late in the '16 cycle, when POB had been committed to NU for a long time.

3. Lee "wins" the job in Spring. I'm not saying it wasn't a true competition, but you know that Lee had a huge leg up being a 5th year junior. Riley wants that experience.

This is all true, but why does Patrick need to rush it? You play a year or two behind the big dogs, work your @ss off and grow. That is life. Eventually YOU are the big dog.

Unless......Gebbia is really bringing it and all the chatter is about his future.

Going stricly by the spring game, POB looked good and Gebbia looked special.

• Fire 1

Unless......Gebbia is really bringing it and all the chatter is about his future.

Going stricly by the spring game, POB looked good and Gebbia looked special.

I watched the Spring game with my dad, and sometime in the 4th quarter I looked at him and said " Patrick is really good, but I don't think he'll every win the starting job here". My reason for saying that was Gebbia. I agree, I think he's going to be special.