Fall Camp Updates - Quarterbacks

I just don't understand the near obsession like mindset of so many on here about all these guys who will likely transfer because they are not happy being second string. Goodnes, POB is a redshirt freshman. He is mostly second string all season UNTIL Tanner gets dinged (very few NU QBs make it through a season without missing some action). At that point, he is the starter in all likelihood. He is one play away. No reason a kid who by all outward signs seems to be a happy Husker would want to up and transfer so he could sit out another year waiting for a chance to win the job away from some other good QB with a couple seasons of experience on him.

I think POB will be just fine and if called upon will step up and lead the team well. He seems quite confident and we've been told for several years 'he's got all the skills to be a fine QB".

We should always have three QBs minimum ready to play and lead the team and run the entire offense well. No more walk on Number 2s or 3s hopefully. Gebbia should get ready to play this fall because an injury to POB or Lee puts in line to inherit the job at any moment. He may not play in Sept but if POB or Lee get injured, he'll be warming on the sidelines regularly.

• Fire 1

I'm not saying that POB should transfer, I just won't be surprised if he does. These kids go through their entire young life preparing the be a starting QB in college and beyond. They spend thousands of dollars getting coached as a kid, going to camps, etc. So they don't want to wait until their 4th year in a program to start. It's the mindset of the kids (and probably their parents too). If they aren't starting by their 2nd or even 3rd year in a program, they go elsewhere.

Let's see how the season plays out as there will be surprises, injuries, issues and so on as there always are every year. There are always twists and turns. Players develop often in fits and spurts and sometimes the light comes on and a star is born. POB can lead this team albeit with a few pluses and minuses that perhaps Gebbia or Lee may have or not have. He is bigger physically and perhaps less mobile (quickness anyway). He could be the starter by game three of his redshirt freshman year and never look back. Or, he could take a hit and need surgery. These things happen at every program so a transfer may or may not be a wise choice for any player and sitting out another season because he is afraid of good competition in order to 'win' the job from a team without a good QB race will likely only put him in a position to play on a losing team in a lesser program with much less NFL development potential. Our coaches offer exactly what POB (or any other pro potential player) needs and should want. The chance to play with and against the best in the collegiate game and to show the pros he's got what it takes. Pros want a player with the physical and mental skills and the grit and determination and toughness to prove he can get r done. He will always face tough competition in the 'big leagues' of college and pro football. Shying away is a mistake.

Gebbia got some high praise after Saturday's schedule. Riley said he thinks he'd be game ready now and do well. Praised his work ethic. Also said POB had some great drives today.

IMO, if anything the past few years has shown, NU needs "multiple starters" at the QB position. Guys who are basically 1a, 1b and 1c.....With a lack of depth in a lot of positions, a wealth of QB talent is a great problem to have.....

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Riley-said-Gebbia-could-function-well-in-a-game-if-needed-106059606

• Fire 1

Speculation isn't obsession.

What are we supposed to do if not get excited by quarterbacks?

And we're looking at it from a fan perspective, where you never mind having an embarrassment of riches.

But every quarterback who gets to this level has been a high school superstar. You never can tell how they will feel about cooling on the bench for a year or two, and the risk of never getting their shot at all. Some are good soldiers. Some just get too itchy. Can't really blame them for considering their options.

Speculation isn't obsession.

What are we supposed to do if not get excited by quarterbacks?

And we're looking at it from a fan perspective, where you never mind having an embarrassment of riches.

But every quarterback who gets to this level has been a high school superstar. You never can tell how they will feel about cooling on the bench for a year or two, and the risk of never getting their shot at all. Some are good soldiers. Some just get too itchy. Can't really blame them for considering their options.

And we've seen this with many positions on the field though the years. It happens. I'd rather have players leave because of a "log jam" of talent, than no depth where a player who isn't truly a FBS level athlete plays..... Might sound harsh, but true.

If Riley thought POB had any ability he would have pulled his rs last year

I still don't know why they didn't. He could have played when TA was beat to sh#t. Then he could have taken a redshirt this year if need be.

Nope. Then gebbia probably not be able to rs which he needs. POB didn't play bc the timing of injuries.

• Fire 2

I still don't know why they didn't. He could have played when TA was beat to sh#t. Then he could have taken a redshirt this year if need be.

Nope. Then gebbia probably not be able to rs which he needs. POB didn't play bc the timing of injuries.

IMO, not much of Riley's offense was installed. Injuries to OL, injuries to receivers etc and POB would've been the next Beau Davis had he been thrown in.......

So you think Gebbia red shirting in 2017 weighed into Riley's decision to red shirt POB in 2016? Gebbia was just a commit. I don't think anyone, Riley included, anticipated 2017's hot start. Had POB shown any ability to compete at the college level, he would have. It's a team sport. He would have hardly been the first QB pressed into service "too early" Remember the context of the situation

There was a lot of season left after the OSU debacle

So you think Gebbia red shirting in 2017 weighed into Riley's decision to red shirt POB in 2016? Gebbia was just a commit. I don't think anyone, Riley included, anticipated 2017's hot start. Had POB shown any ability to compete at the college level, he would have. It's a team sport. He would have hardly been the first QB pressed into service "too early" Remember the context of the situation

There was a lot of season left after the OSU debacle

U don't pull a shirt week 11. Not fair for the kid. Fyfe was solid enough to handle a game or 2, especially bc POB needed seasoning. They have planned on RS gebbia since he was a commit. Rs POB this season would have put us in a bind this year and robbed a year of eligibility from POB