Fox Sports 1 ad features a heavy dose of Nebraska

knapplc

Fun fact...

This was shot in California

With all of the stereotypes about California, it's easy to forget just how much of the state is farmland...

Driving I-80 near Sacramento is much like driving through Nebraska. Flat land, corn fields, John Deere tractors & center-pivot irrigation as far as the eye can see.

Grew up in the San Joaquin Valley from about 4 years old, bout an hour north of Bakersfield against the Sierra Nevadas. In different areas there is different crops almost as far as the eye can see, our area was orange belt country but there is all kinds of other stuff being grown in all them different areas along with a lot of ranching. There is a reason they call it the "Bread Basket of the world". Later years there was always a big corn maze somewhere for Halloween. Biggest AG show in the world in Tulare Ca., unless some other place has laid claim to that recently.

Great place to grow up and live but I'm glad I'm not there any more. In Big Sky country now for the past 7 years.

• Fire 1

Fun fact...

This was shot in California

With all of the stereotypes about California, it's easy to forget just how much of the state is farmland...

Driving I-80 near Sacramento is much like driving through Nebraska. Flat land, corn fields, John Deere tractors & center-pivot irrigation as far as the eye can see.

Grew up in the San Joaquin Valley from about 4 years old, bout an hour north of Bakersfield against the Sierra Nevadas. In different areas there is different crops almost as far as the eye can see, our area was orange belt country but there is all kinds of other stuff being grown in all them different areas along with a lot of ranching. There is a reason they call it the "Bread Basket of the world". Later years there was always a big corn maze somewhere for Halloween. Biggest AG show in the world in Tulare Ca., unless some other place has laid claim to that recently.

Great place to grow up and live but I'm glad I'm not there any more. In Big Sky country now for the past 7 years.

Don't forget the Garlic Festival in Gilroy! I went to that once. It was... interesting.

Never went to the Garlic Festival but used to visit some family friends over there every year for a number of years, grape farmers lol, and you knew when you were getting close to Gilroy because you could smell that garlic. Of course that's out of the San Joaquin Valley going to San Fran on the 101.

Take the highway going over to Monterey on the coast from there and you will see acres of artichokes. Definitely a lot of farming/ranching going on in Cali. That will be one thing I will always miss, the fresh produce. Best strawberries anywhere are grown in and around the several central counties there in the San Joaquin, like eating candy. Can not eat them out of the grocery store, that goes for oranges also lol.

Anyways, great commercial.

Thank god we got the rain we have been needing the last ten years. The area was having real water issues the last few years.

We used to drive thru there quite often for motor cycle races. I am actually headed up to Bakersfield Monday to pick up some sports car parts. Then will drive thru again the first week of September on my way to Eugene for the football game. The area does remind you of the little towns in central Nebraska. I love coming out of Tehachapi into Bakersfield and how the whole valley opens up. Can be so green or Gold. One of my favorite areas in the state, I guess because it does remind me so much of home. Except for the oil smell in Bakersfield.

• 3 weeks later...

I know there will be a bunch of hot takes on how Nebraska shouldn't be asking Fox to stop running this, but it's a smart move from a marketing standpoint. All this ad does is reinforce stupid stereotypes about Nebraska, and it has nothing to do with what we want to be.  It's smart to control your brand. 

• Plus1 2

Not a good look for Nebraska to request the limitations on cornfields. Without university statement and at the surface, it comes off like an issue of insecurity than legitimate gripe. However, I can understand the desire to request ads featuring more about Nebraska and not just cornfields. 

Being an Omaha born and PNW raised, the ads play into all the dumb stereotypes I heard growing up as a Husker fan. 

• Plus1 1