College football playoff selection.

dvdcrr

Play in teams would be ranked 7-10 at the end of the year. Lock in the ranking in week 12 and allow them to drop their last opponent.

I think the CCG may have to go the way of the dodo bird in order for us to have a meaningful playoff. The committee has shown they don't really care about it anyway.

A meaningful playoff has to have at least 8.

I agree with this. We are now seeing they serve no purpose in terms of the playoff. Expand to eight, and allow a formula similar to the old BCS rank them accordingly. Then, the top eight make it in and are bracketed accordingly.

I've said for years that eight is the way to go. Leave the regular season how it is. The Power 5 Champions are in with some sort of caveat that you have to be in the Top 10/12 to be included - you wouldn't be automatically in just because you won the Big XII at 9-4. Then the committee selects the remaining field. The top four teams get to host the quarterfinals two weeks after the CCGs. Those eight teams would already have spots in some of the New Year's Six bowls so the rest of the bowl structure could continue as usual. Then the semifinals and finals can continue as they are currently.

In the case where a 9-4 team wins a title and gains access, there is probably a 99% chance the team that should have won it is a perfect at large candidate.

But there could always be a clause that if you are ranked below #15th or so and eeked in that you can be left out in favor of a better at large or group of 5 champ.

Play in teams would be ranked 7-10 at the end of the year. Lock in the ranking in week 12 and allow them to drop their last opponent.

I think the CCG may have to go the way of the dodo bird in order for us to have a meaningful playoff. The committee has shown they don't really care about it anyway.

That might result in a season where Nebraska drops Iowa or Michigan/OSU gets dropped. This will never happen. Not all 7-10 teams will have their last game be a CCG.

That might result in a season where Nebraska drops Iowa or Michigan/OSU gets dropped. This will never happen. Not all 7-10 teams will have their last game be a CCG.
Reschedule those games to the start of the year and give Ark St. their chance in the end. $500,000 if we don't play.

Reschedule those games to the start of the year and give Ark St. their chance in the end. $500,000 if we don't play.

Moving rivalry games to the start of the season and a patsy to the end of the schedule would be a disaster.

I've said for years that eight is the way to go. Leave the regular season how it is. The Power 5 Champions are in with some sort of caveat that you have to be in the Top 10/12 to be included - you wouldn't be automatically in just because you won the Big XII at 9-4. Then the committee selects the remaining field. The top four teams get to host the quarterfinals two weeks after the CCGs. Those eight teams would already have spots in some of the New Year's Six bowls so the rest of the bowl structure could continue as usual. Then the semifinals and finals can continue as they are currently.

This is pretty reasonable. People have suggested a move to eight teams should include the Power Five Champions, but this always rubbed me the wrong way because this would've allowed Wisconsin to make the CFP as an 8-win team in 2012 (if the CFP had been in place). Adding the caveat that Power Five Champs be in the Top 10, or some equivalent measurement, drastically limits the chances that an average to slightly above-average team could sneak into the CFP.

I've also always thought an eight team playoff was the best. However, I was against the power 5's champion getting in automatically. If they must be in the top 10, I can live with letting them into the playoff. There was another suggestion posted earlier I could live with which was going to four super conferences where the champ gets into a four team playoff. We're probably a ways off from this happening, but stranger things have happened.

Have always said 8 team playoff. Power 5 conference champs, highest rated non power 5 team, and 2 wild cards. Then everyone has a chance to play in the playoff.

If this system had been in place in 2012, Wisconsin would have made the CFP as an 8-win Big 10 champion. Would you have been OK with that?

They didn't even make the AP Top 25 after their conference title, but under an automatic bid, there's a chance they would've supplanted an 11-win Georgia team, an 11-win Oregon team, a 10-win LSU team and about 5-6 other 10 or 11 win programs.

Have always said 8 team playoff. Power 5 conference champs, highest rated non power 5 team, and 2 wild cards. Then everyone has a chance to play in the playoff.

If this system had been in place in 2012, Wisconsin would have made the CFP as an 8-win Big 10 champion. Would you have been OK with that?

They didn't even make the AP Top 25 after their conference title, but under an automatic bid, there's a chance they would've supplanted an 11-win Georgia team, an 11-win Oregon team, a 10-win LSU team and about 5-6 other 10 or 11 win programs.

always been in favor as well. Every other division of football does it that way. Just win your conference and you are in. If not boo hoo

The CFP was designed to judge entrants based on a wide range of criteria, and I would argue they've mostly nailed it since inception. Automatic bids would make up ~63 percent of an eight team field, relegating the committee to then pick only three schools.