College football playoff selection.

dvdcrr

Recently the Big12 was hurt because B12 didn't have a conference championship game so they decided to have one. Last year Penn St. was not benefitted by winning the CCG, as well, TOSU was not hurt by not making it to the CCG. So what gives? Is having a conference and CCG even relevant? If we are going to let a small group of white hairs just subjectively pick four out of the top 6, wouldn't the best programs be better off just scheduling each other and ditching the idea of a conference altogether?

• Fire 1

I think last year will end up being a rare example and not the norm. I think the majority of the time a CC game will be a difference maker- good or bad. Penn State's fluke win over Ohio State didn't help their cause either. If/when they go to an 8 team playoff, a CC game will be crucial as they will take the 5 conference winners and 3 others.

The You fact the Big 12 didn't have a title game was a large factor for their exclusion, however so was the fact that not even the conference officials could name one true champion when they had a round robin format. Their inability to strengthen their league and the stereotype of their poor defensive play make them a premiere candidate for spot #5.

On paper it should have been Penn State. When you look at the teams side by side, the committee made the right call. Though in retrospect I would have rather had Penn State play Bama...

Having two losses, with one being by 39 points, really hurts your chances at making the CFB playoffs. Most years the CCG will be the play in game. Ohio State winning at Oklahoma got them in the playoffs.

In 2014 the Big 12 thought they were going to get 2 teams in the playoffs and didn't get either one in. If they had a conference championship game, they probably would have gotten one team in.

Having two losses, with one being by 39 points, really hurts your chances at making the CFB playoffs. Most years the CCG will be the play in game. Ohio State winning at Oklahoma got them in the playoffs.

In 2014 the Big 12 thought they were going to get 2 teams in the playoffs and didn't get either one in. If they had a conference championship game, they probably would have gotten one team in.

Also helped that Ohio State won it all.

It is like.. Well, we dont care who won the CCG, they still are not the best team. Or you could win it, and they would be like, Well your conference was not that good, and we have these two teams in the SEC or B12 that are just ELECTRIC, so um yeah sorry, you are watching on TV. It is all OK until it is the Huskers sitting at #5. THEN it is BS. I think IF we are going to have conferences, then the top 6 Champions are in ( I know , power 5 but come up with one more) with two play-ins. That way you are settling this on the field with the top TEN. It could be done so easy!

I think this leads to another question. If/when the playoff expands and includes auto-bids, how does that affect the super-conference/ small conference debate?

IMO the more inclusive (larger) the playoff, the less desirable Super conferences become. At least as it relates to access.

If the Big XII had an auto-bid, Oklahoma and Texas would have better access than teams in the SEC or B1G, for example.

• Fire 2

Once it expands to 8 it won't matter. The Power 5 leagues (maybe only 4 by then, haha) all send their champion plus the highest ranked group of 5 champion, thrn two at large teams. The at large teams will obviously have to be selected from a pool of roughly 4 teams. None will be conference champions, but maybe division titles will be the deciding factor after SOS, record and ranking.

Once it expands to 8 it won't matter. The Power 5 leagues (maybe only 4 by then, haha) all send their champion plus the highest ranked group of 5 champion, thrn two at large teams. The at large teams will obviously have to be selected from a pool of roughly 4 teams. None will be conference champions, but maybe division titles will be the deciding factor after SOS, record and ranking.

Let them play in. Those two games come first, then we begin the 8 team countdown. All you need is a flexibility clause in the schedule.

while 8 is fun. It's not needed if we keep getting blowouts in the semifinal games.

There has only been 1 close game in 3 years and that was OSU/Bama in 2014.

But then again maybe expanding to 8 is the answer to make those games better. I don't like adding ANOTHER game for the students. Potentially 16 games. More rematches.

The thing that I love about college football is there isn't that many rematches. They can be good, can be bad....but I just don't want to see the same team twice. Its extremely difficult to beat a team twice. Unless there is a clear disadvantage from one team that is.

I think if we expanded the playoff to 8 games you could drop a game off the schedule. Play 11 regular season games 9 being against conference opponents and 1 non con against a power 5 opponent. If money is an issue you can change the bowl structure to keep a 13 game season for bowl teams that don't win their division. You could add intrigue to bowls by making them a 3 (maybe 4 for more definitive results) team round robin with 7 wins being the bowl eligibility mark (remember there will be 1 less regular season game to win) this is a radical idea but I think it would be more intriguing.

Let them play in. Those two games come first, then we begin the 8 team countdown. All you need is a flexibility clause in the schedule.
Should one of those play in teams make it to the end, they would have played 17 games. That's just too many. Main reason I have reservarions past the 4 we have now.

Here is the thing...

Ask yourself this...If they added more playoff games would you watch them?

If yes...you love the idea

If no...you don't post here anyway so it doesn't matter.

Well, I think we would need to drop a regular season patsy game. That would suck for 120 other teams though. And if we DID go to 8 teams, this whole playing them NYE night HAS to go away. New years day would essentially have to serve as host to round 1 so you could achieve optimum viewership. People would have to choose their favorites and watch 2 or 3 at best. It's not easy to make this work honestly.

They are failing the fans right now by 2 straight years of the new years eve crap. Seriously I wanna watch at home during the day, not half pissed up in a bar that's not watching.

• Plus1 1

That's why the conference championship games should be the first round. Tell Notre Dame, et al if they want in, they have to put on their big boy pants and join a conference for real.

Throw the little guys a bone and let them have the Cotton Bowl or whatever isn't in the CFP.

No "extra" games. Eight-team playoff. Everyone wins. (Except Boise)

That's why the conference championship games should be the first round. Tell Notre Dame, et al if they want in, they have to put on their big boy pants and join a conference for real.

Throw the little guys a bone and let them have the Cotton Bowl or whatever isn't in the CFP.

No "extra" games. Eight-team playoff. Everyone wins. (Except Boise)

I think Notre Dame has essentially caved and joined the ACC, the rest of the independents will follow suit.

My original idea was use championship weekend as round 1. Basically that would make it almost a 20 team playoff assuming all conferences host a title game. 20 teams/division winners have a shot. Once the title games are decided we would have:

SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC and XII champs all get in. The next 3 are either 2 at large selected by committee plus a mid major champion they select OR 1 at large and 2 mid major champs. Either way, the 3 would be decided by the committee.

This scenario puts serious emphasis on not only winning your conference but winning your division. It gives all 128 teams a fair shake regardless of their path to get there. And SOS would still be important to not only test yourselves but also to keep you in the at large pool should you miss winning division or conference.