Don't sleep on Ark State, There is a lot to be learned Day 1

I love the prospect of Nebraska being tested a little bit right out of the gate. I think this sort of matchup bodes well for Nebraska moving through the Non Con. Also, Nebby playing a mid major conference champion is a much better tune up then Oregon playing a 6 win FCS team the week before Oregon/Neb. This sort of scheduling gives us an opportunity to get on a roll early in the season.

http://bigredturtle.com/arkansas-state-perfect-season-opener-nebraska/

• Fire 1

I feel pretty certain that Coach Riley will have the team ready to play the Red Wolves. Lack of respect for opponents many years ago got Nebraska into the situation we have been. Every team has it in them to win. Thinking any game is a walk over is a path to failure. I would bet there has and will be a lot of preparation for the Red Wolves. I vividly remember Mr. Abdulla saving our bacon in what was supposed to be a walk. You are only as good as you play. Sometimes we have not played up to our ability, just like nearly every other college team. Buy you guys all know that. Celebrate the win, when it is won.

I've said this for so long but it really makes no sense why we keep scheduling games against G5 teams that tend to traditionally be much better than the other G5 teams. There is absolutely zero reason to schedule teams like Fresno State (multiple NFL QBs in the 2000s and have been very competitive), Northern Illinois (BCS game 4 years ago..) Cincinnati (could've played in a NC in 2007, multiple BCS/big bowl appearances, double digit win seasons), and Arkansas State (regularly atop the Sun Belt).

We get no more credit for this game than we do for beating teams like New Mexico State, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Liberty, UTEP, Georgia State, Idaho, etc. Schedule those teams you know will be horrendous no matter what, paste them by 50, and move on. Zero reason to play 4 games against teams that tend to put together pretty good years on a consistent basis. These are the teams that win games against P5's. Same reason I don't want to see us schedule teams like Toledo or Navy (or really anyone in the AAC) in the future.

• Fire 1

I love the prospect of Nebraska being tested a little bit right out of the gate. I think this sort of matchup bodes well for Nebraska moving through the Non Con. Also, Nebby playing a mid major conference champion is a much better tune up then Oregon playing a 6 win FCS team the week before Oregon/Neb. This sort of scheduling gives us an opportunity to get on a roll early in the season.

http://bigredturtle.com/arkansas-state-perfect-season-opener-nebraska/

Yo dude. We gotta get some positive vibes going before NU comes to town! Last year was the worst season since...1991 and only the second losing season since 1994!

It'll be a great game.

Nebraska should be fine in the opener. If we struggle against the Red Wolves then it's going to be a very long and distressing season.

Nothing against Arkansas State, but if we are saying it will be a tough game, then it will be a LONG season.

Any longer than 2010 when SDSU gave us a huge scare?

Or longer than 2014 when Ameeracle saved us against McNeese State?

What about 2013 when Wyoming had a chance to win on a Hail Mary?

Arky State is better than any of those teams were. They've won the Sun Belt something 5 out of the last 6 years, and it's rare for any P5 team to beat them by more than 3 scores. They're good. Doesn't mean we'll be bad.

• Fire 2

Nebraska should be fine in the opener. If we struggle against the Red Wolves then it's going to be a very long and distressing season.

Nothing against Arkansas State, but if we are saying it will be a tough game, then it will be a LONG season.

Any longer than 2010 when SDSU gave us a huge scare?

Or longer than 2014 when Ameeracle saved us against McNeese State?

What about 2013 when Wyoming had a chance to win on a Hail Mary?

Arky State is better than any of those teams were. They've won the Sun Belt something 5 out of the last 6 years, and it's rare for any P5 team to beat them by more than 3 scores. They're good. Doesn't mean we'll be bad.

Correct.

Point is, Ark State should not be glossed over. They have won nine straight. Their d line is solid and Nebraska has some new key components on both offense and defense.

The general consensus is that this is going to be a typical home opener blow out and it's not. Might even be a close game.

Lastly, I think a game like this is ten times more valuable than playing a fcs cupcake to start the season.

Oregon is playing an fcs team week one while Nebraska is playing a decent fbs team. Nebraska will be more prepared.

Nobody is going to sleep on Arkansas St, but this is not the same team that won the sunbelt last year. The lost their HC, he is now at Purdue I believe, and they lost a ton of guys on offense. No one will be taking them lightly, but I think NU comes out and plays really well and wins something like 42-14.

• Fire 2

We are going to prep for them for two weeks. They don't have much they can prep on us because we have no film out there of our defense they can study and our offense will pretty much look like a new offense with Tanner Lee's skill set vs Tommy's.

Where we should see a big advantage over AKST is our depth and strength. We should pull away in a big way towards the end of the game. They won't have the depth of strength to stick with our big guys all 4 quarters.

Nobody is going to sleep on Arkansas St, but this is not the same team that won the sunbelt last year. The lost their HC, he is now at Purdue I believe, and they lost a ton of guys on offense. No one will be taking them lightly, but I think NU comes out and plays really well and wins something like 42-14.

wrong. Purdue hired Jeff Brohm from Western Kentucky.

Arkansas State pounded UCF 31-13 in their bowl game. They return a former 4* QB in Justice Hansen as well as their starting RB and every receiver except Kendall Sanders.

Dee Liner was a top 50 recruit in high school and transferred in from Alabama. Him and Ja'Von Rolland-Jones (Sun Belt DPOY) are MORE than adequate on the defensive line.

To be honest, I'm nervous about this one. Ark State has quite a few players and we are breaking in essentially new offensive and defensive schemes and almost an entirely new group of skill players on offense. This will be much closer than people think it will be. 24-20 NU.

• Fire 1