Don't sleep on Ark State, There is a lot to be learned Day 1

17 minutes ago, admo said:

For sure, we are in the same boat.  At least that's the feel during the off season.  Lots of changes and yet some things the same.  Hoping both teams are closer to the 10-2 side of it chuckleshuffle

Well, the last two times we've played you guys, you've wound up in the conference championship game, and had a 10 win season. So.....

After to research, in 2009, Zac Lee was the QB, and he threw for 340 yards, coincidence abounds with this game.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Bojowolf said:

Well, the last two times we've played you guys, you've wound up in the conference championship game, and had a 10 win season. So.....

After to research, in 2009, Zac Lee was the QB, and he threw for 340 yards, coincidence abounds with this game.

I like that kind of trend! Honestly that is kind of what my gut is leaning towards, but then the unknowns creep back in my mind. Are you going to the game Bojo? 

On 8/13/2017 at 10:54 PM, seaofred92 said:

I've said this for so long but it really makes no sense why we keep scheduling games against G5 teams that tend to traditionally be much better than the other G5 teams. There is absolutely zero reason to schedule teams like Fresno State (multiple NFL QBs in the 2000s and have been very competitive), Northern Illinois (BCS game 4 years ago..) Cincinnati (could've played in a NC in 2007, multiple BCS/big bowl appearances, double digit win seasons), and Arkansas State (regularly atop the Sun Belt).

We get no more credit for this game than we do for beating teams like New Mexico State, Coastal Carolina, Charlotte, Liberty, UTEP, Georgia State, Idaho, etc. Schedule those teams you know will be horrendous no matter what, paste them by 50, and move on. Zero reason to play 4 games against teams that tend to put together pretty good years on a consistent basis. These are the teams that win games against P5's. Same reason I don't want to see us schedule teams like Toledo or Navy (or really anyone in the AAC) in the future.

Kirk, is that you?

Just to give you a little refresher, the last time Arkansas State beat a P5 team was 2008 when the Red Wolves went into College Station and beat A&M 18-14. 

Since the one and done era started (2011) the closest we have come to beating a P5 on the road is: 2014 at Tennessee. Lost 33-18. 

We've put scares into Iowa and Indiana since 2008, but no wins. We did have Mizzou down at our place two years ago, but our QB pulled a hamstring/groin and we lost by seven, 27-20.

I figure we go to Lincoln, play hard, hopefully come out healthy and with a decent showing and move on to hosting Miami, because we decided to schedule the teams that won seven national titles between 83-97 in the same year. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Hooked on Huskers said:

I watched 2016 Cure Bowl.  Arkansas State 31 UCF 13 (Scott Frost's crew).  Pretty decent both offense and defense.  Returning QB ...... 4-star Sooners transfer.

Defense played like they did most of the year, offense also played like most of the year, all or nothing. 

Our OL from last year was full of seniors, so we had hoped for a good year, but they regressed hard, and we're not sure why. We have a whole new crew up front and they seem to be a more physical bunch, and are definitely bigger and probably stronger. The thing is, Memorial Stadium for the first game for a new OL, not a great place to break in a whole new gang. 

That and having a new group of safeties (only one player saw time last year, and we brought in 3 JC Safeties this summer) tend to lead me to hope for the best but expect the worst. 

Well, we're under a week away from football being played and under two from the Red Wolves traveling to Lincoln.

Anyone got a good feel for this one yet? As I've said before, I don't know if any outcome would surprise me (well, except if AState runs Nebraska off the field, that would shock me), but I'm leaning to a 14-21 point loss for my Wolves. 

We're going to need some big plays in the special teams and some turnovers to have a chance I think.

• Plus1 2

TE Blake Mack will be one of the better TE's Nebraska will see this year. He doesn't fit the typical TE mold...is more of a muscular WR who runs great routes and has great hands. Nebraska has always been known for having huge linemen and I'm assuming that's the case this year too. ASU has bulked up on both sides and has quality depth so it will be interesting in the trenches.