MoviePass to Offer One Movie In-Theater per Day for $10/Month

Netflix cofounder Mitch Lowe has a radical new business model for his startup MoviePass.

For just $9.95 a month, Lowe's company will allow its subscribers to see up to one movie a day in any U.S. movie theater that accepts debit card payments.

As MoviePass will pay the full price of every ticket sold to theaters, the company faces potentially huge losses, and has secured new funding to accommodate the new subscription plan.

Link

Unless they get subsidized somehow by Hollywood or theatre chains, I don't see how this can work well. The people like Q that will actually use this are going to take them to the cleaners and the people that don't go 1+ times per month (lik3 me and enhanced) won't buy it. It's simple math and economics.

Yeah, I didn't really follow the logic. It kind of talked about it a little more in the article, like they're going to try to get advertising dollars off the data they can gather from their subscribers. But that still seems like quite the risk.

I guess it depends on how much some people go to movies. Even at 2-3 per month I think they'd do fine. But if someone goes to 10 or more it would seem like they'd take it in the shorts. But I guess they could also be counting on only so many new movies coming out each month so maybe it would only be a very small percentage that go to more than 3-4 per month.

Until the next Star Wars comes out.