Board Announcements

zoogs

I think it has to be a quirk in how the different operating systems/OSs handle things.  I don't think there's any setting for it - at least nothing that I can find.

It is much better in the new version of the board than the previous version so hopefully they can keep tweeking the software to correct it in more versions.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Is there a way to get the post # in each post? I find that useful.

Agree with you here.  I found a free add-on that is supposed to do this - no idea why it isn't standard or at least an option.  I think I got it loaded but it doesn't seem to want to work.  Not sure if I'm missing a step or what.  @DaveH is going to try to look at it when he has time.

Incidentally, that's kind of why I haven't tried to load the add-on to "fix" the status updates yet.  I'd like to make sure this "smaller" one works and we know how to get it implemented before moving on to a "bigger" project.  Not sure if that's a good plan or not but that's where I'm at.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Agree with you here.  I found a free add-on that is supposed to do this - no idea why it isn't standard or at least an option.  I think I got it loaded but it doesn't seem to want to work.  Not sure if I'm missing a step or what.  @DaveH is going to try to look at it when he has time.

Incidentally, that's kind of why I haven't tried to load the add-on to "fix" the status updates yet.  I'd like to make sure this "smaller" one works and we know how to get it implemented before moving on to a "bigger" project.  Not sure if that's a good plan or not but that's where I'm at.

Thanks Mav and team.

• 1 month later...

Few things that we lost with the upgrade that I'd like to see come back:

The plain text editor function.  This is hugely helpful when pasting article snippets to maintain spacing and alignment, and to strip some of the other formatting off the text you're bringing in.  I used this nearly every time I posted an article and its absence is slowing down information I'm willing to bring to HuskerBoard because it's too much of a hassle.

Abbreviated Text.  This was a fun feature that added a tongue-in-cheek quality to a lot of posts. This feature was in the drop-down menu that also contained tools for inserting a Member name, inserting code, etc.  Some of that is available on the current post window, some isn't.  Really, that whole menu had things I used - I'm just forgetting some of them now.

Editing without notice.  Not sure what to call this, but it's a new feature on the board.  It's useful to know if someone is changing their argument, but that really hasn't ever been an issue. This is a look-and-feel thing. It's ugly now, when you want to make a simple edit due to a typo or whatever.  Case in point:

abBVhKn.png

Multiple Quotes & Block Quotes.  These both seem to have gone away with the upgrade, but both were hugely useful. Pretty sure you can allow as many multiple quotes in a chain as you want with settings in the off-the-shelf software. Being able to quote more than one response is sometimes necessary. We can set it to two or five or whatever. Nobody wants 20 nested quotes in a reply, but more than one would be good.

Board Rules link.  It's helpful to have this available at the bottom of every page. At least at the bottom of every forum.

Member List.  Unless I'm just missing the link, I'm not finding a place to see a bulk list of all members.

Search Function.  Kinda connected to the member list, the search function sucks. You can get a list of members that way, but search flood control is enabled for any search action.  For example, if you search members and get a list, and you want to sort it by join date, you can't if you don't wait 15 or 20 seconds after your initial search. If you don't wait, and click to sort, it tells you you have to wait X seconds and kicks you out of your search. It's crummy.

I had more, but not as much time to post this as I thought. I'll update later.

Edited by knapplc

@knapplc

The plain text editor was really handy.  But it appears to be just gone.  Same with abbreviations, though I haven't looked as extensively for that.

Editing without notice is a setting.  It was actually off for quite awhile then I turned it on a week or two ago basically out of curiosity.  Kind of surprising how many posts are edited.  I'm up for feedback on that.

I looked all over for a quote block setting but can't find anything.  It appears to be stuck at one.  The Multi-Quote feature is still there - click the + in the bottom-left of a post to add it to your Multi-Quote.

I hadn't noticed the lack of a Board Rules link until recently - I think after you had referenced them somewhere.  I'll have to do some digging on that.

I hadn't noticed the lack of a Member's List until now.  I look for a list of Members .... elsewhere.  There is a Block that can be added similar to Who's Online and Birthdays at the bottom of the main page but it's really clunky.  It is odd that there isn't a better way to see this.  At least not one I can find.

I'm not a big fan of the Search either but I've been able to get it to do what I want (usually).  I adjusted the Flood Control setting - if you try it out let me know if it helps.

• Plus1 1