BTN: Five Things We Learned at Nebraska

Mavric

Does "a lot to show" mean "a lot to prove" or "they showed us a lot?"

Based on some of the soundbites and video I've seen, the former. DiNardo commented they didn't do any inside running drills, and without seeing any scrimmage, there wasn't much else to go off of other than eye test. Griffith then mentioned they 'should be pretty good' because of the amount of starts underneath several of the guys.

I've often thought about that - if you showed people the stats and number of starts the players on this line have, and told them they play at a power five school, most people would say 'that's going to be a pretty good line this year, whoever they play for.' We can't bring ourselves to do that, but we haven't been given a ton of reason to trust how well an offensive line will perform in recent years.

I'm pretty bullish on the offensive line.  After re-watching each of the games last year the perception that our O-line wasn't good typically comes from in part the following things: 

- Starting 2 guys who were not starter quality, due to injury

- Tommy's pocket presence/ lack there of (seriously I re-watched every game multiple times and don't recall one time he stepped up into the pocket effectively)

- Inability to run the ball at times due to 7-9 guys in the box because the defense knew we weren't throwing it successfully 

This year with a healthy O-line and a QB that keeps defenses honest and understands the pocket I think we will see a lot of improvement.