Solar Eclipse 8-21-17

Eclipse 2017  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought I'd start a topic and poll for this since Lincoln and much of Nebraska is in the path of totality and so people have a place to post their viewing plans, methods and location.

I'm in Greeley, CO and we will have 95% obscuration here. Still debating going about 2 hours north of here into Wyoming to get in the path. But with all the anticipated traffic and my general laziness, I'll probably just view it from here. Picked up some of the approved eclipse glasses for me and my family members but the guys at work are just planning on using their shade 10 or 11 welding hoods. They'll be alright if they don't stare at it for 3 hours. Guessing it will be completely safe for intermittent viewing and surely for the 2.5 minutes where we're at 95%. I'm going to use a shade 10 lens in front of my camera lens for pictures. It sure would be cool though to be in the path of totality and be able to remove all eye protection for that 2.5 minutes (which is completely safe BTW).  Would also like to be able to see the diamond-ring and Baily's beads effects but guessing won't get those here outside the path.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I remember the one we "saw" in 79 (?).  I didn't get it then, and I'm not too fired up now - can you guys explain why all the hubub?  I couldn't vote, cuz I do think Science is important, and I won't be hunkered down, but I don't care a bit about this.

For me it's just the combination of rarity and seeing something you don't usually get to see. Really without excess traveling, a person only gets this opportunity maybe a couple times in their life. It gets dark in the middle of the day and there are some strange phenomena in the path of totality, the diamond ring just prior to and immediately following and Bailys beads when the sunlight is skipping across the valleys of the moon. I've heard it looks like a 360 degree sunset. I'm not obsessed enough to travel the 2.5 hours and fight the crowds and traffic but I'll sure be spending most of the 3 hour event looking at it and taking pictures of the 95% we'll get here.