Blackshirt time?

4 hours ago, MattyIce said:

I'm betting they are handed out in the next 10 days.

My money is on...

DE - Davis, Freedom

NT - Stoltenberg

OLB- Gifford, Newby (not sure other side earned one yet)

ILB- Weber, Young

CB- Jackson, Lee, Bootle

S - Kalu, Williams

With the season starting in 12 days or so, you might be on to something

Of course all the starters get one, but getting one and playing like you deserve one, well there have been times when I wondered where the tradition of the Blackshirts went. Looking forward to a start of the turn around in the program. I'm thinking positive this year, but I have to confess, as always i'm still looking through my Scarlet lenses.

GBR!!!

I'm guessing that at least 12 are handed out. With the rise and spread of three and four receiver sets on offense, a nickel back can essentially be labeled as a starter now. Nebraska plays multiple teams this year that run "spread offenses."

Based off of what opponents ran last year/new head coaches, it's possible that the Blackshirts are rarely in a base 3-4 against Oregon, Ohio State, Purdue, Penn State and Minnesota. Then they'll probably use the 3-4 almost exclusively against Wisconsin and Iowa. 

1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Did McBride give out more than 11?

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe more than 11 were handed out until the 2000s era. But, as @Hans Gruber mentioned, a player who may start in the Nickel package (but not a base package) could be worthy of a Blackshirt as well.

I was never a fan of the way Pelini handled the Blackshirts even though I never had a strong opinion on it. I felt his approach had good intentions but it sort of rendered them irrelevant to me over time.

10 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

the whole mystic of getting a shirt has used up it's useful shelf life.

I think for fans, maybe, but it is different for players.  

I used to give out a Hammer to the defensive player of the game for my defense...when we were awesome the kids loved it...when we sucked the kids loved it.  I think it means more to them.  

I really don't care who is a blackshirt or not.  

3 hours ago, Enhance89 said:

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe more than 11 were handed out until the 2000s era. But, as @Hans Gruber mentioned, a player who may start in the Nickel package (but not a base package) could be worthy of a Blackshirt as well.

I was never a fan of the way Pelini handled the Blackshirts even though I never had a strong opinion on it. I felt his approach had good intentions but it sort of rendered them irrelevant to me over time.

Actually McBride often handed out 12-14 Blackshirts and always at the beginning of the first game prep week as that was considered the end of camp and the season had started. I remember reading an article where he explained it all, but can't find it currently; however below is a picture of the 1998 Blackshirts poster, used to love those!, showing 13 Blackshirts. Commando shared this picture last year in the thread about this same topic.

s-l1000.jpg

• Plus1 4