ESPN 30 for 30 on 90s Huskers....

Mavric

I heard the USC guys talking about this either earlier this week or late last week. Is that the same time you heard about this or is there something more recent?

When I heard USC talking about it, it didn't seem like they knew exactly why it was all halted, but they were speculating (and, probably, rightfully so) that the producers were having trouble getting people to talk about that era. I don't necessarily blame any former players/coaches if that's the case, but you also can't tell the story without the controversy. Otherwise, the story is nowhere near appealing enough to a national audience.

Wasn't holding my breathe. 

But if you want some really good drama though, have them do the show on the 2000's.  Solich, Crouch, Pedersen, BC, Osborne, Pelini (both of them), Team Jack, TMartinez, .01, leaving the Big 12 for the B1G, Kellogg to Westy Hail Mary, the tape, the ref and media outbursts, the firing, and finally transition to HCMR. 

Throw in the whole "What if I told you..." tagline.  Just a few years after Coach Osborne retires and Huskers on top.

Man, the rest of the college football would be like, "Oh, I get it now, my bad...."

• Plus1 2

History is being rewritten right before our eyes. Those off the field problems of the 90's were not that big of a deal at the time and certainly were not out of place for that era of cfb. Only in hindsight and when looked at by current standards do they seem so bad. What disappoints me more than anything is the Nebraska fans who have bought into the negativity of it all and join in the trashing of our greatest era.

• Plus1 8
36 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

History is being rewritten right before our eyes. Those off the field problems of the 90's were not that big of a deal at the time and certainly were not out of place for that era of cfb. Only in hindsight and when looked at by current standards do they seem so bad. What disappoints me more than anything is the Nebraska fans who have bought into the negativity of it all and join in the trashing of our greatest era.

Social media and the interesting definition of the word "fan"

I don't think it would've focused "too much" on the negativity, but telling the story of the most dominant college football team ever necessitates delving into some of the less pleasant history. Otherwise, it's sort of 'meh' to a national audience, and that's the market in a 30 for 30.

There's certainly a balance and local fans are often times all too keen to glance over some of the black eyes. I think we can say 'they were great' while simultaneously acknowledging the less appealing aspects.

4 hours ago, El Diaco said:

That isn't really history being re-written.  The events happened.  I agree about he time period element, but the fact our standards are better doesn't make it ok things happened in the past.  I don't see it as trashing- but ultimately we are talking about a show we haven't seen who knows what it would have been like.

1 minute ago, shyndy said:

That isn't really history being re-written.  The events happened.  I agree about he time period element, but the fact our standards are better doesn't make it ok things happened in the past.  I don't see it as trashing- but ultimately we are talking about a show we haven't seen who knows what it would have been like.

The perception of that era most certainly is being rewritten. I agree those events happened and we do have better standards now. But it is somewhat revisionist to now, today, look at those 20 year old acts and judge them by current standards. I have no idea what approach the producers would take on a 30 for 30 but I do know how some fans do it here on HB and I don't care for it.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, shyndy said:

And lets' be honest ... Scotty Baldwin's incidents, and eventual paralysis/cop incident, the guns hidden by coaches in the FB offices, all of Lawrence's baggage, Peters' assault - those are just some of the big ones, and all of those would be all be considered big now.  

We (speaking generally here) seem to remember the Tommy runs and the Blackshirts from that time, and of course the wins fondly, and we should - but the problems on those teams were significant.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

And lets' be honest ... Scotty Baldwin's incidents, and eventual paralysis/cop incident, the guns hidden by coaches in the FB offices, all of Lawrence's baggage, Peters' assault - those are just some of the big ones, and all of those would be all be considered big now.  

We (speaking generally here) seem to remember the Tommy runs and the Blackshirts from that time, and of course the wins fondly, and we should - but the problems on those teams were significant.

IDK, I don't think the greatness of those teams is clouding my judgement at all. IMO the off field problems and the on field dominance are completely unrelated. The difference is that back in the day these events trickled in and were looked at individually. However now, twenty years later, all the bad stuff is lumped into one big pile and it skews the perception of that era. Maybe it is proper to do it that way in retrospect but it is not how those events were perceived at the time and it wasn't glossed over just because we were winning. It just never was considered in the aggregate at the time.

• Plus1 2