Wisconsin "May have separated from the rest of the West"

We aren't the only team that gets better from one year to the next. The Badgers were 11-3 last year. They're thinking they're about to take the next step from that, or so the optimism of the offseason will dictate. 

"Wisconsin has taken the next step" is objectively more logical than "Nebraska is better this year and since last year's game was close, there's no reason to lose to Wisconsin this year."

If Nebraska wins, it could be any combination of Nebraska being better and Wisconsin faltering. 

DiNardo had some nice things to say about Nebraska  when BTN visited.  Probably the most complimentary they have ever been, which is good.  DiNardo is also very wait and see with Nebraska, which is to be expected.  

Wisconsin is a known commodity.  They have shown year in a year out they are a good team.  BTN shows up and they see exactly what they want to see which reinforces their already high opinion of Wisconsin.  They saw good O-line running the football.  That's  what they expected and that is what they got.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

If we have taken the next step, we beat them at home this year.  I think many of the losses have been us beating ourselves, not Wisky beating us.  Do our thing, stop making mistakes and maybe Wisky just distanced themselves from third in the West.

Exactly. Virtually every loss we've ever had in the B1G West has been us beating ourselves. It sure isn't that the opponents have been stellar. We just have to quit sucking and we'll be fine in this division.

You have to take BTN predictions with a grain of salt. In 2015 they thought Wiscy was going to be a world beater in the West and Iowa won the West. That year they predicted Iowa to finish last. Last year they thought Iowa was going to win the West and Wiscy won. Wiscy was predicted to be a borderline bowl team. So their predictions just like anyone elses don't mean crap, and we still have to play the game.

• Plus1 4

I think Wisconsin is being given the benefit of the doubt now. It's actually pretty incredible they're even in that position when we consider all the coaching/staff changes they've had to make in recent seasons.

I'm genuinely shocked some have them as a top 5 team. I guess I'm not seeing what they're seeing. They lost several pieces to the NFL, their best defender is gone due to a preseason injury, they have a new DC and their quarterback situation isn't exactly solid. Yes, they have a favorable schedule with several of their toughest games at home, but is schedule enough? We'll also have to see how they perform now that they're not really that underdog type program anymore - people expect them to be good which puts a target on their back.

Calling them a 'playoff contender' is also a bit of a casual prediction. Technically speaking, 10-15 teams are legitimate contenders, and perhaps ~five other teams could put themselves into that debate midseason if they make an unsuspecting run.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Enhance89 said:

I think Wisconsin is being given the benefit of the doubt now. It's actually pretty incredible they're even in that position when we consider all the coaching/staff changes they've had to make in recent seasons.

I'm genuinely shocked some have them as a top 5 team. I guess I'm not seeing what they're seeing. They lost several pieces to the NFL, their best defender is gone due to a preseason injury and their quarterback situation isn't exactly solid. Yes, they have a favorable schedule with several of their toughest games at home, but is schedule enough? We'll also have to see how they perform now that they're not really that underdog type program anymore - people expect them to be good which puts a target on their back.

Calling them a 'playoff contender' is also a bit of a casual prediction. Technically speaking, 10-15 teams are legitimate contenders, and perhaps ~five other teams could put themselves into that debate midseason if they make an unsuspecting run.

The bolded will catch up to them at some point.  It finally caught up with Oregon and they had to make some serious changes to the program after having one or two bad years.

I believe it's possible that this is where Wisconsin is now.  I agree that, right now, they are being given the benefit of the doubt.  But........

Most predictions in college football are wrong, most on here are wrong.  That is why we play the games. 

Wisconsin has been playing top 15 ball for many seasons, seem to always be there at the end.  Nebraska seems to tank every season, so it is very easy to pick Wisconsin over Nebraska.  Someone looking at it from the Pac12 would most likely pick Wisconsin.

They are going off  a scrimmage they saw at Wisconsin, did not see one at Nebraska.  Obviously saw no glaring weakness in the scrimmage.  So they feel Wisconsin is better.  Who cares.  We just need to finish a season, strong, and healthy.  All players in the mix.  Have not had that opportunity in a long long long time.

I am glad they think others are better.  Motivates these kids even more.  As I have said before, this group seems different, sounds different, wants something different, than what they have been served the past few years.  I think they are ready to take the step, I hope they are ready to take the step.  I planned my vacation this year around the Oregon game, because I wanted to see first hand what they look like, not the starters, but the team overall.  If they are into the game, cheering each other on, working together when things aren't going quite right.  Many years looking at the side lines I saw what I considered dis interest, lack of heart, loyalty, different groups, not a band of brothers trying with all their hearts to win the games.  That is what I want to see.  Winning/losing are so close together, it is that extra spark, that ounce of we can do this that they believe.  I think Coach Riley brings that key to get their best from them.

So BTN sees something they like with Wisconsin, so what!  They have been wrong before and will be again.  Let's just hope that what we are seeing is the start to what we need at Nebraska.  A real team, all pulling together, working as one, learning from mistakes of their own and others. 

I truly think this is the year, that we start to see what Nebraska can become.   Forget Wisconsin and BTN!!!

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

The bolded will catch up to them at some point.  It finally caught up with Oregon and they had to make some serious changes to the program after having one or two bad years.

I believe it's possible that this is where Wisconsin is now.  I agree that, right now, they are being given the benefit of the doubt.  But........

Not sure what Oregon has to do with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin has stability at HC.  Paul Chryst grew up in Wisconsin, played at Wisconsin, and has coached at Wisconsin on two separate stints.  He understands the foundation on which Wisconsin was built and has not tried shied away from that identity (getting big bodies from in-state, utilizing a highly-successful walk-on program, going after kids that can get into school, and finding players that fit the traditional Wisconsin scheme), unlike his predecessor (Gary Andersen). 

Similarly, his OC is another that has coached at Wisconsin on two different different occasions and also knows the foundation on which Wisconsin was built.

Think Wisconsin's defense needs to be given more credit than they have.  Dave Aranda was terrific, and still is, but many thought Wisconsin's defense would drop off a cliff when he left for LSU.  Instead, they helped catapult Justin Wilcox to a Pac-12 HC job, after getting fired from USC, in less than a calendar year.

Other than your perception, which I can respect, there isn't a whole lot to suggest Wisconsin is going anywhere.

• Plus1 2

I used Oregon as an example of a program that has been good but the coaching changes finally caught up with them.  They had been promoting coaches from within over the last several changes and finally their luck ran out.

I see this happening at some point with Wisconsin.  You saying Paul Christ grew up in Wisconsin, played at Wisconsin and has coached at Wisconsin on two separate stints.....really doesn't impress upon me that he's definitely going to succeed there.

14 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

Not sure what Oregon has to do with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin has stability at HC.  Paul Chryst grew up in Wisconsin, played at Wisconsin, and has coached at Wisconsin on two separate stints.  He understands the foundation on which Wisconsin was built and has not tried shied away from that identity (getting big bodies from in-state, utilizing a highly-successful walk-on program, going after kids that can get into school, and finding players that fit the traditional Wisconsin scheme), unlike his predecessor (Gary Andersen). 

Similarly, his OC is another that has coached at Wisconsin on two different different occasions and also knows the foundation on which Wisconsin was built.

Think Wisconsin's defense needs to be given more credit than they have.  Dave Aranda was terrific, and still is, but many thought Wisconsin's defense would drop off a cliff when he left for LSU.  Instead, they helped catapult Justin Wilcox to a Pac-12 HC job, after getting fired from USC, in less than a calendar year.

Other than your perception, which I can respect, there isn't a whole lot to suggest Wisconsin is going anywhere.

I don't think anyone on this board is saying that Wisconsin isn't good and hasn't earned their place.  I definitely think Wisconsin will be good this year, but are they going to be better than they were last year?  I guess I see a team that will be about as good as last year.

Listening to the guys on the BTN bus tour last night made it sound like Wisconsin was invincible and would walk through the conference.   It was almost worse than listening to them talk about OSU and how great they are going to be.  

1 hour ago, NUinID said:

I don't think anyone on this board is saying that Wisconsin isn't good and hasn't earned their place.  I definitely think Wisconsin will be good this year, but are they going to be better than they were last year?  I guess I see a team that will be about as good as last year.

Listening to the guys on the BTN bus tour last night made it sound like Wisconsin was invincible and would walk through the conference.   It was almost worse than listening to them talk about OSU and how great they are going to be.  

No disrespect intended to Wisconsin, but that isn't entirely because of their program or the projections they'll be good. The West simply isn't a very good division. It's the same thing that happened in the Big 12 and the B1G decided to make a similar mistake by placing everybody into a division geographically. Geographical separation has benefits, particularly from a logistics standpoint, but there's no denying which division is better situated to be dominant and which division has the stronger programs.

Winning the West comes down to navigating a collection of average to above average teams while hoping for a manageable crossover schedule with the East.